• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 4x4 Ranger Hard To Get Into Gears

DDavisIAMT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a 1995 4x4 4.0L 5 speed Ranger, manual T-case. The previous owner put in a new clutch, slave cylinder, and pilot bearing, but it isn't shifting smoothly into gears, you kind of have to force it into gear. At a stop, going directly into reverse it grinds. If I jump it over to 4th then to reverse, it goes in just fine. On downshifts, if I rev match the engine it falls into gear easily. When sitting still, clutch pedal pressed down, you can feel it bump forward as I try and put it into 1st gear. The clutch pedal feels fine, not spongy at all, full motion. Any thoughts as to what this could be?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

You need to Bleed the clutch system, common issue with Rangers, you have some air in the system so clutch disc is still rubbing on flywheel and pressure plate, so its not fully disengaging.

Your description matches air in the clutch system exactly

The transmission can not be disconnected from the rear wheels(well you could shift transfer case to N, lol)
So when you are stopped the transmission is at 0 RPMs
Engine is at, say 750 RPMs, idle
So when you want to put it into 1st, or any gear, you have to get the Clutch disc/input shaft from 750 RPMs down to 0 RPMs

When you press down on clutch pedal fluid flows from master to slave and slave expands which pushes on the pressure plate springs which pulls it back, away from flywheel
Clutch disc is sandwiched in between flywheel and pressure plate
Pulling back pressure plate should allow clutch disc to slow down to 0 RPMs, but if it doesn't pull back enough then clutch disc can't slow down to 0 RPMs, air in the system means slave won't/can't expand all the way.

Transmission has synchro mesh on each gear, its a softer metal that matches input shaft RPMs to Output shaft RPMs as you push shifter into a gear, but................this relies on input shaft being free to slow down or speed up to match output shaft RPMs, synchro gear is 5" in diameter and clutch disc is 10", so if clutch disc is rubbing it WILL take a bit of pressure to force the 5" gear to slow down the 10" disc, just physics :)
So the whole setup relies on the Clutch disc being fully disengaged

You may want to replace the master if it wasn't done with the new clutch, in any case the master sits at a 30deg angle so it can get air trapped at the top if system ever "ran dry", reservoir was empty, you can't bleed this out unless you pull out the master.
Pulling out the master is not hard, and then you can turn it upside down and then bleed system fully to get any air out of the Master

Last edited:

DDavisIAMT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ron, thanks for the reply. I saw a good video on YouTube last night which detailed the bleed issue. I don't think the master was replaced when they did the clutch, I believe only the slave cylinder was. Hopefully this cures my problem. I will also be replacing the fluid with something other than the ATF called for, something like a syncromesh fluid or something from Amsoil/Lucas. Thanks again for your help!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Clutch uses Brake fluid

But yes, the M5OD-R1 manual transmission does use ATF

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals