• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 ranger INTERMITTENT NO START

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like the title says, I have a 1994 3.0 ranger that sometimes doesn’t start, and sometimes fires right up.

Truck is a 3.0, 5 speed, regular cab long bed, 4x4.

No fuel pressure and no spark. Tried swapping relays, tried using a jumper wire to bypass the relays, inertia switch is not tripped, new fuel pump (before I really started digging). Electrical schematic shows everything going through the solenoid on the left fender. My buddy just replaced that before I bought the truck and it wasn’t showing the same issues. When he replaced it, the truck was completely stalling on him in the middle of a commute. This issue is ONLY happening when I go to start the truck. Never had any issues with it stalling. Pulled the ECM out and tried looking for corrosion in it, checked all the plugs and pins, nothing is loose or corroded.

I just can’t figure this damn thing out and it’s my daily so I need to be able to trust it. PLEASE HELP!

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I'm at a loss on this one but I do wonder about the ignition switch..

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That’s what I thought too, I took the column apart this morning but I’m not sure exactly what I’m looking for in there

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also forgot to mention that the windshield leaks right over the column so I’m sure that doesn’t help anything. Don’t know if I would need to replace the switch or just dry it out or potentially clean the contacts but I’ve never had one apart and I can’t see how to get it out without tearing up my aluminum column or the switch itself

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The ignition switch was just a wild guess on my part. I also wonder about the ECM. It would be nice if you had a spare to try out.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree. We popped the cover off of it looking for corrosion, didn’t find any, and didn’t know what else to look for. A spare would be nice. There isn’t any anti theft on this is there? That matches the fin of the computer to the truck? Theoretically a 3.0 stick shift PCM from a 93 or 94 ranger would work without any changes right?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
No, there isn't any anti-theft involved in that year of truck.

Checking and/or removing and cleaning ALL of your grounds might be a good idea though. Cab/chassis, engine, etc.. There are several.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I’ll give that a try. Eventually it sat long enough to where it fired right up for me. Usually that is the case. No rhyme or reason to when it starts or doesn’t. Hot or cold starts, fuel level, battery charge, nothing makes a difference

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals