• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 ranger 4x4 4.0 extended cab 302 swap

Trickflow43

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
2in suspension
Tire Size
31 10.5 15
I've been trying to research the 5.0 explorer swap but all I've been able to find was 98+ rangers with this swap. Is it doable on a 92 or is there a better route to go.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The engine will be the same to install on a 92 for the most part. As for the electronics, if it were me putting it in to a 92 Ranger, I'd go with a standalone harness made from a Foxbody harness or buy one from Ron Francis..

I can't tell you much about the Exploder transmission in a 92, or the transfer case.. May need a body lift to fit that pig of a trans..

Trickflow43

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
2in suspension
Tire Size
31 10.5 15
Ok if that's the case I'll just run a normal old 302....I see c4 is the most common swap trans...if I get a 2wd c4 can I put a 4x4 tailhousing on it adapting to the ranger t case? Or is the aid a better option

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
obviously been done as I'm driving one. I went with the A9L ECU until recently and now it's got a MegaSquirt PNP2 ECU. The wiring for the ECU is the major task. Use an Explorer FEAD to give a lot more room for the radiator. I still cut out the front radiator support and moved it forward. A 3" BL makes it easy to fit everything. I used a Mercury Marquis wiring harness from the JY--there are plenty of others like Thunderbirds if you can't find a Mustang harness and still want to retain the EFI. I went with a NP205 transfer case behind the M5ODR2 trans out of an F150 which uses the original trans mount and a one piece driveshaft from a 2000 Ranger 4x4. Just had to fab a mount to support the beastly heavy NP205 and have the fron driveshaft shortened.

Trickflow43

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
2in suspension
Tire Size
31 10.5 15
obviously been done as I'm driving one. I went with the A9L ECU until recently and now it's got a MegaSquirt PNP2 ECU. The wiring for the ECU is the major task. Use an Explorer FEAD to give a lot more room for the radiator. I still cut out the front radiator support and moved it forward. A 3" BL makes it easy to fit everything. I used a Mercury Marquis wiring harness from the JY--there are plenty of others like Thunderbirds if you can't find a Mustang harness and still want to retain the EFI. I went with a NP205 transfer case behind the M5ODR2 trans out of an F150 which uses the original trans mount and a one piece driveshaft from a 2000 Ranger 4x4. Just had to fab a mount to support the beastly heavy NP205 and have the fron driveshaft shortened.
Are you using the explorer trans? Any adaptors for the case needed?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The Thunderbird wiring harness is different from the Foxbody, and it's not as easy to convert in to a stand-alone harness. I had one and tried it. Depending on year of course... Wiring isn't my strongest point, and I'm not saying it can't be done, but even with the Thunderbird wiring diagram it was far too daunting for me. Plus it was a 92 model which is old enough to have overheated near some of the connectors, etc.. Coil connector, A/C relay connector, etc.. Making a new Ron Francis harness sound even better..

The Thunderbird front accessory drive stuff is low profile as well. Maybe not quite as short as the Exploder stuff, but it still allowed me to fit the Thunderbird factory mechanical fan in my 87 Ranger, but I used an Ebay V8 swap radiator made by Superior (one with the 90 degree filler neck) that tucks up inside the core support. I recently added A/C to the truck so the condenser took up even more room and pushed the radiator back a few inches, and I still had room for the mechanical fan.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Are you using the explorer trans? Any adaptors for the case needed?
In order to use the Explorer trans (automatic) you will have to use either the ECU from the Explorer or a separate controller for the transmission. I don't think the Explorers with the 5.0 ever had a manual transmission. Mine is the F150 5 speed.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The Thunderbird wiring harness is different from the Foxbody, and it's not as easy to convert in to a stand-alone harness. I had one and tried it. Depending on year of course... Wiring isn't my strongest point, and I'm not saying it can't be done, but even with the Thunderbird wiring diagram it was far too daunting for me. Plus it was a 92 model which is old enough to have overheated near some of the connectors, etc.. Coil connector, A/C relay connector, etc.. Making a new Ron Francis harness sound even better..

The Thunderbird front accessory drive stuff is low profile as well. Maybe not quite as short as the Exploder stuff, but it still allowed me to fit the Thunderbird factory mechanical fan in my 87 Ranger, but I used an Ebay V8 swap radiator made by Superior (one with the 90 degree filler neck) that tucks up inside the core support. I recently added A/C to the truck so the condenser took up even more room and pushed the radiator back a few inches, and I still had room for the mechanical fan.
The Marquis harness required quite a bit of cutting and splicing because the ECU was in a different location than the Mustang/Ranger. I figured since the Thunderbird used the same ECU and engine that the harness would work--and it will probably required some mods.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The Thunderbird used a different designation of EEC than the Mustangs, and it's pinned differently as well.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

My 90 has a 5.0 from a 98 mountaineer in it, You will need to relocate your Air charge temperature sensor, I put mine in a vac port on the upper intake change the sensor's to the corresponding year mustang as your harness. Throttle body will work if you modify it slightly to work with mustang IAC,TPS.

Make sure you get a Mass Air Flow harness. Especially if you want to make more power or other bolt ons speed density will work. But you will have some issues with lean conditions, and just running stupid at times. If you run a manual transmission get the right computer A9L, there is another one for more aggressive fueling but I forgot what it is. Cant find a mass air harness you can convert a speed density to mass air LMR.com sells a kit but you need the right computer for that. I put a distributor in instead of using the coil packs the explorer accessory brackets work good if you truck doesn't have a/c get the shorter belt for a exploder w/o ac dont waste the money on the ac delete bracket this will give you more room for the oil filter relocation hoses. Lower rad hose I used a chevy hose and cut it in half upper was a 90 mustang.

SAVE YOURSELF THE HEART BREAK AND MONEY, DRILL AND HELI COIL THE THERMOSTAT HOUSING BOLT HOLES IT WILL CRACK ON THE EXPLORER INTAKES.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
For what it's worth, I run an A9P EEC with a manual trans and it runs perfectly. Comes back down to idle just fine at stops, which is what people are concerned with.. You can run an A9P (auto) EEC with a manual trans, but you can't run an A9L (manual) EEC with an auto..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals