• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger Restoration - Keeping a Promise

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Been a while since I updated, so a brief word on ongoing work, and some other interesting things.

Had the cap off the other day to haul the scrap 4.0 and the D35 I'm swapping in for a front axle, so I snapped a photo.

Next steps are to finish prep work on the new frame and get the new axles hung. Dana 35 from a 1994 Ranger, and 8.8 limited slip off an Explorer. Despite the severe gear reduction the 31" tires gave me, I'm sticking with 3.73 gears for now. I may change them later, but I'm quite happy with how low my RPMs stay on the highway. 2.9 isn't want for power either, and still readily passes at 70-75mph.

I should note, when I bought it with 205/70/15 tires on it, the truck would not exceed 60 mph, even downhill. I think I've done alright.

If the winter goes as planned, I'm hoping to have my frame swap finished by spring, just so I can take it all apart again next winter to do the body work lol

Amazing how far the little guy has come, and I know how much further I have to go. But, for daily driving it, I'm mostly satisfied with the progress.

Don't know if I mentioned this in my build thread, but I found out that my Ranger rolled off the line the day I was born in 1987. I knew we were close in age, but never would have guessed we both rolled off the line the same day. That, to me, was a clear sign that it and I are sticking together till they bury me; I'll never give up on it, no matter what happens.

View attachment 33384
Holy crap man, the shared birthday thing is pretty neat. Mine is 7mo newer than I am.

Looks nice without the topper too, it has come a long ways even since the roundup, tires and wheels really perked it up.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Holy crap man, the shared birthday thing is pretty neat. Mine is 7mo newer than I am.

Looks nice without the topper too, it has come a long ways even since the roundup, tires and wheels really perked it up.
I was floored when I researched the vin. It was too perfect.

Our birthday is coming up shortly. Might pick it up a new grill emblem as a present ?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm floored every day....

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Always question authority
Happy early Birthday to both you and your truck Junkie! That is really cool that you and the truck were both born on the same day!
But see now you went ahead and ruined its birthday surprise. You're gonna have to get it a different gift now! LOL:ROFLMAO:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I have a new idea for you...

Twin supercharged-twin 2.9L...

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Been a while since I updated, so a brief word on ongoing work, and some other interesting things.

Had the cap off the other day to haul the scrap 4.0 and the D35 I'm swapping in for a front axle, so I snapped a photo.

Next steps are to finish prep work on the new frame and get the new axles hung. Dana 35 from a 1994 Ranger, and 8.8 limited slip off an Explorer. Despite the severe gear reduction the 31" tires gave me, I'm sticking with 3.73 gears for now. I may change them later, but I'm quite happy with how low my RPMs stay on the highway. 2.9 isn't want for power either, and still readily passes at 70-75mph.

I should note, when I bought it with 205/70/15 tires on it, the truck would not exceed 60 mph, even downhill. I think I've done alright.

If the winter goes as planned, I'm hoping to have my frame swap finished by spring, just so I can take it all apart again next winter to do the body work lol

Amazing how far the little guy has come, and I know how much further I have to go. But, for daily driving it, I'm mostly satisfied with the progress.

Don't know if I mentioned this in my build thread, but I found out that my Ranger rolled off the line the day I was born in 1987. I knew we were close in age, but never would have guessed we both rolled off the line the same day. That, to me, was a clear sign that it and I are sticking together till they bury me; I'll never give up on it, no matter what happens.

View attachment 33384
Is it me or does your bed in this pic look like it is to far back/separated from the cab? Honestly its your truck have it how ever you like it but here in MA. we don't see many older rangers and being years since one of my step bro's had one, a 2.8 version, it could be my eyes being used to the 93+ models throwing me. Either way, cap no cap it has come a long way from the beginning of the build. Loving the rims since I had them on my first truck.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Is it me or does your bed in this pic look like it is to far back/separated from the cab? Honestly its your truck have it how ever you like it but here in MA. we don't see many older rangers and being years since one of my step bro's had one, a 2.8 version, it could be my eyes being used to the 93+ models throwing me. Either way, cap no cap it has come a long way from the beginning of the build. Loving the rims since I had them on my first truck.
Oh, yeah, I only have 4/6 cab mounts. It only had 1/6 when I bought it, so sweet upgrades!

Seriously that things a ****ing mess. Frame is a little bendy as well. Not bent- yet, but the new drivers side rear cab mount bracket is 65% of that frame sections strength. Perfect candidate for a supercharger build.?

Also greatly appreciate the positive and negative feedback on the build. Has made the project feel a little lighter.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Oh, yeah, I only have 4/6 cab mounts. It only had 1/6 when I bought it, so sweet upgrades!
Does this include the the steering column? :icon_rofl:

On a serious note I don't think I would have taken on such a project myself at this point. Cu does to you for taking on such a deeply involved pita.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Forgot to post this as well:

Frame donor on its last ride

_20191122_080110.JPG

A shame I couldn't save this one; tree fell on it and demolished the roof.

But. Strong running 2.9 with world heads, rust-free frame, bed that's in better shape than mine, and cab support crossmembers I can use as a pattern to build new ones for mine. All in all, it's a win in my book for parts.

Anyone out there want a blue interior or tan seats??

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Blue interior and tan seats? The Ray Charles edition?

flwsock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Petroleum, great build! Just found the thread yesterday and just finished it. I noticed that you swapped the 215s for 235s. My 83 has had 215's on it since I bought it. I was 16. Everywhere I look online lists that as one of the stocker sizes, along with 225 and 235. What made you prefer the 235 over the 215? I always liked the way my ranger drove, but I think its time for some new tires soon. I'd like your opinion.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Petroleum, great build! Just found the thread yesterday and just finished it. I noticed that you swapped the 215s for 235s. My 83 has had 215's on it since I bought it. I was 16. Everywhere I look online lists that as one of the stocker sizes, along with 225 and 235. What made you prefer the 235 over the 215? I always liked the way my ranger drove, but I think its time for some new tires soon. I'd like your opinion.
So, I've had 205/70/15, 225/75/15, 235/70/15, and currently 31x10.5s on it.

Gotta say the two best were the 225s and the 31s.

225s looked like crap, but as I built the engine, the results were most noticeable.

31s mess up the torque curve a bit due to reducing effective axle ratio to 3.33 up from the 3.73s in the axles. So first gear is a little more "meh" at an uphill intersection, but 18-20mpg on the highway due to low cruise rpms.

Last edited:

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Always question authority
Come to think of it Petroleum Junkie I think I remember seeing your frame donor truck in the local Craigslist here in Pgh. Sad to see another old Ranger die but glad you got it and are able to use the parts off of it.
I see you're using a Ford Super Duty to tow it home with. Have you finally seen the light of the Blue Oval? ;)

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Come to think of it Petroleum Junkie I think I remember seeing your frame donor truck in the local Craigslist here in Pgh. Sad to see another old Ranger die but glad you got it and are able to use the parts off of it.
I see you're using a Ford Super Duty to tow it home with. Have you finally seen the light of the Blue Oval? ;)
Good eye with the parts truck, it's one in the same.

As far as the F350 is concerned, I've tried to trade it in twice now on a Dodge. Neither dealer would offer enough for it. (13500 for a F350 with 46k on it. Wtf.)

First chance I get I'm crushing the F350. Biggest piece of garbage I've ever driven. Gutless pig that gets 12mpg and the trans launches you out of your seat shifting 2 to 3. According to the dealer though, "There's nothing wrong with it" ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals