• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger 5.0 Swap Purchase

1991dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So i found a 1988 ranger with a 5.0 swapped in on craigslist for $1350 and it runs and drives. i have always wanted a 1986-89 extend cab ranger 2 wheel drive with some sort of V8. I don't care if it was a 302,351, Chevy 350, doesn't matter. so here is my question is this truck worth buying fixing and most likely i will re sale it. I'm decent with making a ranger look good but is this truck worth the money and did the do a good job with the swap.

Below are pictures of the truck in question and the last is my ranger i recently sold.

00M0M_lY6nMwiNqn2_1200x900.jpg

00x0x_ayfjyXUNDsq_1200x900.jpg

00202_Y4Arzt4N9K_1200x900.jpg

00c0c_2MgGhfSX9MO_1200x900.jpg

01313_acEXGrkWfEq_1200x900.jpg

Screenshot (10).png

Screenshot (11).png

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Aside from the hickey on the PS it looks pretty straight/solid.

If you are wanting to flip it probably not a lot of money to be made though.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
It's a good start for a personal project, but I agree that there isn't much money to be made from trying to fix it up and reselling it.

1991dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks

ive seen some go for around $6000 where i live here in florida and i have parts trucks and paint booth and everything so i should only have 500$ extra in the truck plus what i paided for it. but my big question was about the motor does it look like it was done correctly or no. Im only 17 and ive flipped a few trucks and i want something i can get cheap and have fun and sell.

:3gears:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Even if you break even you will have learned something.
It really depends on the market in your area. If your research shows a v8 Ranger with good paint and interior going for $4 to 6 thousand, then there is room for profit. I would buy a mechanics time to check over the install and front end and brakes, those can eat up any profit.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
V8 swaps are either done really well or really bad, not much in between. From a cursory glance that one seems OK, judging by the fact that the AC is hooked up alone makes me think that it could have been done well.

I have seen trucks that were just hacked to bits in order to do an engine swap though... pieces of frame cut out, wires twisted together, you can imagine.

I'm just curious what "needs to be finished." Also curious what kind of fan is cooling that radiator... it looks huge and there's just not much room for fans there, especially if it has AC.

I would not be buying it and expecting to fix and resell for a profit... you could have a LOT of hours into it fixing a lot of weird shit. Or not, who knows.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Start a build thread, show all the work you do, what you pay, and how much you end up flipping it for.

1991dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Build Thread Hell Yes

Thanks guys that is what i needed to hear. I'm gonna go checkout the truck and if i get it I'm do a build thread i figured i could at least part it out at $1300 and the seller did tell me he would take less so hopefully a $1000 cash will do the trick. he did send me a video of it i will post it also.

i guess he is running a electric fan im not sure but it does look like a hodge podge of stuff. thats why im asking yall for advice yall do seem to be the experts.

The Video- https://youtu.be/HZZYknl_DkI

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a pusher efan on mine, it ran a lot before I added a flexfan. I agree with Shran, it looks tight on the engine side of the rad. On a first gen with a pusher there is no room for a A/C condenser for what that is worth.

1991dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It Sold

Thanks for you for your help. he said it sold i think he just irriated im asking all the right questions, lol, but thanks for your help i do know what to lok out for now.

Yall should really consider doing a 5.0 ranger swapped buyers guide it would be extremely helpful.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have a pusher and a puller fan on mine with the Duff radiator and no AC. I had to cut out part of my grill to clear the pusher fan motor, and the puller is dangerously close to the water pump pulley. I don't know how anyone fits mechanical fans in these things without firewall mods or a tiny radiator - and mine still runs hot.

A 5.0 buyer's guide would be cool but it's just like any other vehicle... nice, hacked up, or somewhere in between. It helps if you've done a 5.0 swap and know what goes into them.

1991dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Would it be better to get it and then swap out radiators. does that truck really need that huge radiators.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I don't think you need a huge radiator for a 302. Especially if you have a manual trans. A 4.0 automatic trans radiator would be fine for a 302 I think but you have to hack up the core support to make it fit - it goes where the Duff radiator does.

The one that's in that truck is probably fine, the bigger issue is either fitting a mechanical fan or finding electric fans that will clear everything and have a high enough CFM rating.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think you need a huge radiator for a 302. Especially if you have a manual trans. A 4.0 automatic trans radiator would be fine for a 302 I think but you have to hack up the core support to make it fit - it goes where the Duff radiator does.

The one that's in that truck is probably fine, the bigger issue is either fitting a mechanical fan or finding electric fans that will clear everything and have a high enough CFM rating.
With an Explorer belt drive I have the Explorer radiator sitting on the stock mounts with a low profile flex fan and the pusher efan for backup, the flex fan won't keep up if the truck sits or is moving slow.

With the long water pump it did clear but there was room for nothing on the engine side of the radiator.

Cooling system setup ver3.0 is going to envolve going to puller efan(s) and trading the pusher fan for a A/C condenser so I can get A/C. Still haven't nailed down exactly what I am doing yet. The mechanical Explorer fan would fit but the fins on the clutch would rub on the radiator, it is that close to fitting. :annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals