• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 Ford Ranger Idle Surge

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
quit recently my 85 ford ranger started to idle surge out of nowhere.
2.8L V6

what are the causes and solutions?
what can I check?
the fuel gauge does not work so could it be because its low on fuel?

the first time i checked it about a week ago i saw fuel leaking from the top of the fuel tank, (fuel return line?). and today i checked it again and its not leaking, but still idling like garbage.
>doesnt idle on its own
>sometimes idles at a high rpm then stalls
>doesnt start without assistance from the gas peddle

also is it possible to checks codes on this?

litleblue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes there are plenty of ways to do this. A cheap code reader from Auto Zone NAPA etc is about 30 bucks. If you know how to use a volt meter you can short the Self Test Input to ground and count pulses. Kind of a pain in the ass but it worked for me fine in the early 80’s.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1985 2.8l Ranger has a carburetor, so no "Return line"
It has a mechanical fuel pump on the engine

If there is gasoline leaking from the top of the tank then there is a broken fuel line and you should pull off the bed of the truck and have a look, you can also fix fuel gauge at that time

But first check the filler tube, that runs from the side of the bed to the tank, where you put the gasoline in
These can crack and leak, so it could look like fuel is coming from the top of the tank

With a carburetor, the up and down idle can be several things, a vacuum leak is most common

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
1985 2.8l Ranger has a carburetor, so no "Return line"
It has a mechanical fuel pump on the engine

If there is gasoline leaking from the top of the tank then there is a broken fuel line and you should pull off the bed of the truck and have a look, you can also fix fuel gauge at that time

But first check the filler tube, that runs from the side of the bed to the tank, where you put the gasoline in
These can crack and leak, so it could look like fuel is coming from the top of the tank

With a carburetor, the up and down idle can be several things, a vacuum leak is most common
almost a year later, i have money, and time. having my old man look at it he noticed there was a vaccum leak on my PCV valve, which happened to be a 2 way instead of 1. plugged it up and now it idles and its own. However, it doesnt really hold its idle if that makes sense, it will idle, then i can feel the RPMs drop and come back up. this is a issue because it sometimes stalls out when im coming to a stop whilst downshifting.

would it be "okay" if i just adjusted the idle to compensate for it?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Turn it up a little. Whatever it takes. Just make a note of the direction and how many turns you make so you can put it back if you have to.

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
Turn it up a little. Whatever it takes. Just make a note of the direction and how many turns you make so you can put it back if you have to.
and where on the carb would i find the idle screw?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
On the driver's side. There is more than one. The one I would adjust moves the whole idle motor assembly back and forth. Just turn the engine off, take the aircleaner off, and then move the throttle while looking at the lever arm. You can see what it stops against, and you will also see how the motor on the throttle moves in and out as the computer adjusts the idle speed.

ISX_15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
245/60r14
On the driver's side. There is more than one. The one I would adjust moves the whole idle motor assembly back and forth. Just turn the engine off, take the aircleaner off, and then move the throttle while looking at the lever arm. You can see what it stops against, and you will also see how the motor on the throttle moves in and out as the computer adjusts the idle speed.
👍 life saver, i will do that, also ill clean out my jets and clean out my carb.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals