• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1941-1945 Willys MB

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone know anything about these things??? I have the opportunity to get one probably for free and just wanted a few things cleared up. I was going to get it running good and do a spring over lift and run some 33 or 35 inch tires. The one thing im kinda stumped over is that it comes with pretty weak axles(Dana 25/Dana27). Would it be easier to just throw a Dana 30 and 8.8 in it for sake of strengthen and part availability??? Also I know the engine is only rated at 60hp but is there any easy engine swap options with out getting a new tranny and t-case??? And if not will the stock engine be fine if I bored it out and cammed it and did some other smaller thing to it??? Thanks in advance.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Basically as they sit stock they are pretty tough. Start hanging different tires and engines in them and you will probably have to change everything though.

If it is in good shape, it would be nice to see it restored back to its former glory rather than beat to a pulp. For that matter if you can get it cheap and it is in good shape you might be able to find a collector that wants it and buy a more build friendly Jeep.

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
Its kinda beat up and not in the greatest condition otherwise I would restore it back to original.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
I'd keep that thing as stock as possible, as it sits its value is going up.

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
But thats no fun lol!!! Itd be my crawler.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
A friend of mine dragged one out the bushes back in HS... His grandpa promised it to him before he died. He managed to find an engine rebuild kit for it, and a few other things that cost an arm and a leg..... It's still sitting in his mom's side yard in many pieces.

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My father is hiding a MINT 52 willys and I'm not allowed anywhere near it. Stock sucks. Id love to see it on 37s with full width axles, v8, soft top with a custom cage.......(and the list goes on and on) This would be a awesome build platform... id say, if u got the time, space, and money...... hell yeah! go for it!:headbang:

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
Ya im leaning towards the dana 30/8.8 or yota axles. Id probably keep the engine stock for the most part I'd make a custom cage for it a soft top and probably 35's.I'd like to end up with somethin like this.

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
If you do get it.... make a build thread and let me know! Id like to see this!

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Anyone know anything about these things??? I have the opportunity to get one probably for free and just wanted a few things cleared up. I was going to get it running good and do a spring over lift and run some 33 or 35 inch tires. The one thing im kinda stumped over is that it comes with pretty weak axles(Dana 25/Dana27). Would it be easier to just throw a Dana 30 and 8.8 in it for sake of strengthen and part availability??? Also I know the engine is only rated at 60hp but is there any easy engine swap options with out getting a new tranny and t-case??? And if not will the stock engine be fine if I bored it out and cammed it and did some other smaller thing to it??? Thanks in advance.
My neighbor has one of those. Trust me, it's fun as hell just as it sits.

The reason it has weak axles is because it has a weak drive train and it's not exactly a heavy vehicle. 60hp? HAH, not likely. They often slicked one up just a bit and ran it without accessories or anything to suck down power in order to beat the other guy's numbers. My bet is around 40-45 new and probably closer to 30hp now. Should have a flathead in it if it's the original engine. Which is still plenty to move it around.

If you do anything to the flathead just put a nice rebuild on it. They'll never flow enough air to be a performance engine. You can get them better, but say if you spent the money to have a 900HP v8, you'd have maybe a 180/200HP flathead, and we're talking fancy forced induction and fuel delivery too. They flow enough air to putter around pretty good, but that's really about it. It's simply not cost effective.

If it's an actual MB, and it's still all there and runable. I'm going to have to go with leave it. They're all correct that it's value is only going up. They made these things SUPER simple, and most parts should actually be quite easy to come by still, mainly because they used the same parts for so many years. Though some might still have to be ordered (truthfully the same goes for modern cars).

But at the same time I hate telling people how to build THEIR projects.

I tell you what, poke at it and at least get it moving and reasonably driveable. Cruise around in it for a few months, maybe a year. If you still want to mod it, go for it. Just be sure to get in contact with collectors in the mean time so the discarded parts don't go to waste.

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
My goal is to keep the body as original as possible and just build the suspension and drive train a little.

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
My goal is to keep the body as original as possible and just build the suspension and drive train a little.
Don't. They are worth a lot totally stock. Restore it. It is easier to do. I have driven one of these and there is no problem with them stock. They will go anywhere. My grandpa bought it 6 years ago, semi restored for 12k. A nicer one would probably go for more.

Last edited:

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
And when you do get them stuck, they were specifically made light enough that 4 troops could pick them up and carry them. One guy can usually rock it off whatever its hung up on and two guys can usually overcome the suction of a mud pit, unless it's completely mired.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Why? it'll handle things stock.

Restore it. It is easier to do. I have driven one of these and there is no problem with them stock. They will go anywhere.
x2 on easier. And yes, they will go surprisingly far in stock form.

Also, because I was curious and Googled around a little,

http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_46_281&products_id=3806&zenid=a4c71695159faac95c4297a05eb65116

I just searched for Dana 25 locker and Dana 27 locker and it seems they make lunchbox lockers for both (they seem to take the same part actually?). That'll REALLY up the capability, FAR more than new suspension and bigger tires. And that engine will not make enough power to break things.

A quick search says that if it IS an actual MB, it'll have a Spicer 23 rear axle. It should still have the D25 front.

It might have a Dana 41 for a rear axle otherwise, then it'd be a later Jeep. Or someone swapped it in for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals