• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1354/1354 doubler

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I've been 3 years trying to find an existing doubler or the parts to build.one.

Last jan by chance I found a prefab bed plate and shaft on here for sale and snatched it up.

Nearly a year later I've finally started the install.

I opted to use two 1354s instead of a 1350 for the front, becuase that's what I had.

Chopped off the front case and made a plate to fill the gap (it's a bigger gap than 1350 uses) also drilled and tapped the plate for extra seal hold.

Used the mill to clearance the planetary housing for the bolts.

Switched to Allen head bolts and only needed to clearance one bolt head in the rear case, and had to.grind the head down on one bolt.

For shifters I used a jeep liberty cable shifter for rear case and nodded stock shifter for the front so itd clear the jeep shifter.

Attachments

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Looks good. Have no idea what I'd use one for, but adding more shift levers makes a vehicle less likely to be stolen LOL.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My ramcharger had a doubler np203/205 (3 sticks), steering column shifter still attached but had a floor mount shifter for the trans. Front and rear brake bias levers next to the trans shifter, and one manual parking brake lever, and one hydraulic lever.... absolutely nothing labeled.

This was back when NJ had full safety inspection every year... the inspector at the DMV had to drive your vehicle. Every single time the guy would sit in it for 10 minutes then get out pissed and come get me out of the wating booth and say dude what the hell!?. It was nothing they could fail me for so I would always give the dude a hard time before going to show him what to do.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I've been 3 years trying to find an existing doubler or the parts to build.one.

Last jan by chance I found a prefab bed plate and shaft on here for sale and snatched it up.

Nearly a year later I've finally started the install.

I opted to use two 1354s instead of a 1350 for the front, becuase that's what I had.

Chopped off the front case and made a plate to fill the gap (it's a bigger gap than 1350 uses) also drilled and tapped the plate for extra seal hold.

Used the mill to clearance the planetary housing for the bolts.

Switched to Allen head bolts and only needed to clearance one bolt head in the rear case, and had to.grind the head down on one bolt.

For shifters I used a jeep liberty cable shifter for rear case and nodded stock shifter for the front so itd clear the jeep shifter.
Helluva job man

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With the holidays I hadn't had much of a chance to mess with this.

But today I got it bolted to the transmission.

I'm doing some james duff long travel arms to my bronco ii while.doing this so that I can tie the crossmbers/mounts together.

Attachments

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got the new transmission crossmember/mount built and installed.

Along with a rear tcase mount and belly pan.

Also got the shifters installed. Still need to button up the floor pan around shifters and install boots.

FB_IMG_1582902717481.jpg
20200227_144922.jpg
20200301_174533.jpg
FB_IMG_1583172844625.jpg

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Good work! I need more doubler in my life.

Looks like your shift rail plugs are leaking a tad bit, great time to fix them now that you got the floor opened up.

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They could be but I also spilled a ton of trans fluid on the trans. I had it completely out of the bronco and replaced the seal on the tail shaft aswell as the clutch. The slave cylinder crapped out in me my last ride and that is what lit fire to get the doubler built since I was pulling trans.

I was at a farm auction saturday and purchased this brand new unfinished driveshaft for $1. The slip yoke end was not welded so.i just knocked it out of the tube and cut the tube to length I needed. Does t get much cheaper than that for a front driveshaft

Still need to weld it up but im.going to leave that to my father n law. Dont really wanna bird shit and bubble gum my pretty driveshaft. I've welded up plenty of custom shafts before but I think my welding is getting worst lol
20200229_193939.jpg
20200302_190154.jpg
20200302_190214.jpg
20200302_190144.jpg
20200229_120025.jpg

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When you build your own 1354 doubler and all is good for a few weeks then shit starts happening. Dropped it today to tear town and find my problem. Found it alright all that custom work and I forgot to fill the rear tcase with fluid and daily drive it for 3 weeks...

Doubler is back on the ground with a new rear case one the way...

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Man love the pics and article. Hopefully this has been repaired and back in action now. Will be using this in the nearer future. Any suggestions on proceeding are appreciated. Interior photos as well!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals