• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

02 Auto Slipping

Wolfman88

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70 R15
My credo
Marine Corps Specal Operations Command Reg 2 Cert EMT Basic
Ok I haven't got the truck here yet (Later Today). Seller said its slipping barely drives he said he changed fluid and filter and it worked for a while then quit again. Could there be a leak and enough fluid gets out that the hydraulics won't work causing the slipping or torque converter bad or bad trans? I'll have more info on exactly what its doing when I get it later today.

Any tips on what to look for?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There is a TSB about the valve body gaskets from that year. They are prone to blowing out causing pressure loss. The solution is to replace the gasket with the upgraded bonded plate/gasket.

Can't guarantee that's your issue but its definitely something to check.

Wolfman88

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70 R15
My credo
How do I check that? I've only rebuilt 1 automatic transmission and it was a pita it was also the infamous Chrystler A604 one of the first electronically controled and worst trans at the time so I don't know much about automatics.

PS I see your EMT trained too I don't work as an EMT but have the training and certified in Louisiana.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Unfortunately the only way I know to verify if that is the problem is to physically inspect the gaskets by dropping the valve body. Not really difficult but a little tedious. You just need to drop the pan and then remove the valve body. Gotta keep all the bolts in order (they are different lengths and need to go back in the same hole they came out of, and there are alot of them). Be careful disconnecting the internal wiring harness, and when re-installing the valve body the bolts need to be precisely torqued in increasing amounts in an exact sequence.

If you do this you'll need to replace the gasket no matter what, BE CERTAIN TO GET A SINGLE BONDED SEPERATOR PLATE/GASKET and not the old 3 peice set (gasket - separator plate - gasket).

Again I can't tell you if this is the issue or not, it could be any number of things or just a flat out worn transmission... but the valve body gasket failure Is just a known and common problem in that year.

I haven't worked as an EMT in over 15 years. I kept my cert for a while though just in case. It's long since lapsed now though. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Wolfman88

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70 R15
My credo
Ok that's one thing to check any other ideas? Fluid is full but the battery is dead so I cant start it and try it in gear to see exactly what it does so more info once I get the battery charged.

Wolfman88

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70 R15
My credo
Also the trans only has 102000mi so I wouldn't think worn out.

Wolfman88

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70 R15
My credo
Is the TSB on the 03 year too? It was sold as an 02 but I looked at the title and the title says 03.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The TSB (03-22-10) says 1995 to 2002 trucks are effected. An 03 could go either way though, it's not like on January 1st 2003 ford started using the right parts lol. I know there's a way to search your vin number for TSB's effecting your particular vehicle but I forget the link.

Wolfman88

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70 R15
My credo
I searched TSB and recalls on the vin nothing that would cause this problem. Now that I have the truck and have it running I'll copy and paste the question I asked on another ranger forum:

Ok the 03 Ranger that I just bought to restore and donate to the wolf sanctuary has a trans issue. When I shift into reverse or drive it slips it acts like its going to try to move like moves a inch then the rpms increase and it doesn't move I can rev up to redline and it won't move. Does this in drive and reverse. When I try to go to 1 it won't go to 1 it stops at 2 like there's no 1 to go to shifter is like at the end of movement hits a wall. So I can't get to 1st manually with the shifter. Now I put it in 2 and it moves as it should 2 works fine but when I go to 2 and it goes in gear its rough like when you go to 2 and give it gas it slams hard into gear.

Now knowing you can go to drive from 2 while moving I pulled out on the road in 2 and when I got up some speed shifted into drive and it went through the rest of the gears fine even went into overdrive. I've only rebuilt 1 automatic transmission the infamous Christler A604 and it was a pita so I don't know much about automatics I prefer stick. I think not sure but doesn't reverse and 1st use the same setting there's just a reverse idler gear that reverses the rotation of the mainshaft using 1st So to the auto trans experts what could be causing this and why can't I select 1st with the shifter?

Fox

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'm by no means a transmission expert, there's a guy on here @Transman304 who is pretty much a genius with these things. Might wanna give him a PM.

Reading those symptoms though I'm thinking its not actually an issue with the trans at all but a problem with the shifter, cable, or digital range sensor physically preventing it from properly moving the gear select lever to the proper position. As in you put it in drive or reverse but the lever is hanging in neutral, and 2nd is getting stuck halfway between 1 and 2. Easy thing to check. Just disconnect the shift cable and see if you can manually move the lever to drive (WITH A FRIEND IN THE TRUCK HOLDING THE BRAKES!) and then see if it drives normally.

Last edited:

Wolfman88

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70 R15
My credo
There would still be a problem with the trans because put it in reverse it does move back a little same in drive. Also when I get going in 2nd and get up to 10-15mph I can move the shifter to drive and it will go through the rest of the gears including overdrive.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals