• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. American1990

4.0 swap 90% done need help

Hey guys, my buddy and me did a 4.0 swap on his ranger (Had a 2.9) all the wiring, engine, trans, ect... is in. when I turn the key I get lights on the dash and ect... when I turn the key to start nothing happens, I can hear it click up near the battery. if I jump it at the starter solenoid or...
  2. American1990

4.0 idle

Ok guys, I got a 1989 ranger that i did a 4.0 swap on 1 year and half ago, been running perfectly fine, so i put headers on it and broke some manifold bolts and ran it like that for a awhile with no Y pipe or exhaust. Well I cant take the loud noise and exhaust leak anymore, so I got another...
  3. American1990

4.0 RPM's dropping

Hey guys, I got my hands on a Fresh 4.0 with just over 100k so this engine is NO where near the end of it life, and it been well maintained :yahoo:. Just got the swap done, but it idling a little high, not when i first start up but once I give it some gas it wants to stay up around 1k RPM, at...
  4. American1990

Ok, need MASTER level advice or VERY creative ideas.

Read everything before you THINK you know what it is! ~Cant get clutch top disengage/put truck in gear~ Ok, so here what going on... if i start the truck up in gear it takes off like a rocket, but if i start it in neutral I can not shift into any gears it will not let me. So here what been...
  5. American1990

Headlight wires

Ok, I have a 1992 Engine bay wiring harness and a 1989 Dash harness. The 89 had a 2.9 and I used the stuff from a 1992 ranger to do a 4.0 swap. everything works fine but when I switch on the head lights things don't work right. So I pulled both of the wiring harness (engine bay and under dash)...
  6. American1990

Headlight wires

Ok, I have a 1992 Engine bay wiring harness and a 1989 Dash harness. The 89 had a 2.9 and I used the stuff from a 1992 ranger to do a 4.0 swap. everything works fine but when I switch on the head lights things don't work right. So I pulled both of the wiring harness (engine bay and under dash)...
  7. American1990

Never been so puzzled and frustrated

Ok, So the last couple days my truck been broke down. A couple days ago my Transmission (FM146) would no longer shift into gear, I even had a hard time putting it ion gear with the engine was off. So I went and put a M5OD behind her with a brand new, clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing...
  8. American1990

Sir Flex alot?

Me and my buddy are having a debate about Flex/suspension lifts. Ok, so I know if you have a lift kit that gives longer shocks, longer coils, drops brackets, and extended radius arms you gain more flex/drop. But If you just get the drop brackets, longer coils, and longer shocks. Everything can...
  9. American1990

confused, ideas, help, wondering, clues...thoughts?

Ok guys, I did a 4.0 swap awhile ago and I've been using the FM146behind my 4.0 it held up fine but now I got a transmission to replace it with, a Toyo Koygo 5 speed, that came from a 4.0 explorer now, I know there a length difference between the FM and Toyo of like 2-3 inches, so my ideas are...
  10. American1990

Ideas, Help, thoughts, wondering, building ranger....

Ok guys, I did a 4.0 swap awhile ago and I've been using the FM146 behind my 4.0 it held up fine but now I got a transmission to replace it with, a Toyo Koygo 5 speed, that came from a 4.0 explorer now, I know there a length difference between the FM and Toyo of like 2-3 inches, so my ideas are...
  11. American1990

Georgia!!!!

Hey Georgia members, I was seeing if any Georgia members knew where any good trails were in the Atlanta,dehlonega, covigton, conyers, newton, ect... area. Pretty much the upper center area of Georgia:icon_bounceblue:, looking for a spot to trail and maybe camp out at night off to the side or...
  12. American1990

Gremlins...

Ok, any help or advice is appreciated.... Problem: 4.0 swap 99% finished... That 1% that holding me up is just electrical. Ok, here the deal. My truck Runs great, but when I turn my headlights on, and only my headlight, sh** hits the fan... my RPM gauge stops working, both my blinkers cut on...
  13. American1990

She alive....

Hello everyone, well I finally did a 4.0 swap, though it took a lot longer then i wanted... trying to do a swap when you already don't have any time to commit to a swap pretty hard haha.... The new job been taking up a lot of my time...and the gf.... she doesn't understand that without my...
  14. American1990

I gave in.....I was weak.....

Ok..... I gave in....I finally see why so many 2.9 guys swap to 4.0...I drove a 1992 4.0 the other day...and loved it...now I own it and plan to swap in in my 1989 4x4 short bed/standard cab. I plan to use my original tranny and everything back. I plan to also swap the ENTIRE harness so no...
  15. American1990

The TwoNiners!

Hello! Everyone! Iv mad a few threads on here I did a small build thread for my 1990 2.9 2wd truck, I LOVED HER, but i had to sell her...WHY? to get a four wheel drive ranger! Duh!!! But all that besides the point. This tread is for those people who love there 2.9 V6, not those people who only...
  16. American1990

The 2.9 Mud Truck Build

Howdy everyone, Well let me start off by saying this, First off allllll you 4.0 lovers, i have already decided NOT to follow every other person AND the same goes to you 5.0 lovers too! After the last year having my truck and seeing all the hell I have put my 2.9 through it it still cranks up and...
  17. American1990

Rear Axle

i have a 2wd, 4.10 gear, 7.5, rear axle. i want to make it posi-traction, instead of taking chance and looking to buy one i would just rather buy new parts to put int he axle, I am going to get 4.56 gears but my question is if i put the Power-trax Lock-Right, from the parts section, that i want...
  18. American1990

tranny going out

I have a 1990, XLT, 2wd Ford ranger, with a 2.9 V6 engine. The transmission I believe is a Mazda M5OD-R1. last night I started to smell a burning smell coming from my vents then also my RPMS started to climb higher and higher as i pressed the gas but the truck did not go faster or anything...
  19. American1990

Questionsss!

Ok, I looked around and found answer but there are still a few things I am confused on. I have a 1990 ford ranger xlt 2wd, I know i ether want to rebuild the engine OR swap it out for a 4.0, my question are would it be easier to bore out the 2.9 and rebuild it or just get a new 4.0 and bolt it...
  20. American1990

1990 Ford ranger Super upgrade

Ok so a few months ago i bought a stock 1990 ford ranger xlt, I have been doing a shit ton of work to it replaced the whole ignition system, put a K&N air filter on it, but the main things so far are, a light bar with 3 halogen lights, 3 inch body light, four inch suspension lift, and brand new...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad