• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. ABS Not Working.. Mystery 4x4 Component

About a year ago I borrowed a reasonable OBDII reader from a coworker. I was able to read my 99 ranger's ABS trouble code.... didn't write it down, but I read up on the description back then. It was some component, I assume electrical that was only used in 4x4 rangers and, if memory serves...
  2. First Test of 4WD, No 4 Low?

I have had my truck running for about a year but never tried to test 4wd... I thought it made sense to see if it works prior to selling a low mileage transfer case from a parts vehicle. At a stop I turned the selector to 4 High.. the light came on and I could hear some vacuum type noises behind...
  3. Track down vacuum leak

I have a high idle when I put the truck in neutral coming to a stop. It may hang at 1500 or so when coasting and usually drops to 8-900. I cleaned up the IAC valve, not sure it is really working but i wanted to track down any issues with vacuum lines. There are a lot. I noticed a few things...
  4. Spring Bushing Replacement

I am in the process of replacing my rear hanger and shackle for the leaf springs. Even though the shackle came with a new bushing, I am considering avoiding the pain of replacing what might be a serviceable original bushing. What I can say about the bushing is the bolts were incredibly...
  5. Repair Bed with Aluminum Panels

OK. I admit that I didn't give this enough thought, but before I continue I thought I would pass this by the experts. My 99 bed has seen better days but is still straight and I would like to beef it up before putting it back on the frame. The areas by the frontmost bolts are especially bad...
  6. Ranger No Crank (Replace Wiring?)

I have a 99 Ranger. I replaced the engine and, in the process, broke the connector on what I believe is the starter ground. I patched that with the same wire from an Explorer. I think the splice was good, but now have my doubts. I had a starting issue during the summer. If I remember...
  7. Did This Truck Exist?

I currently have a 99 extended cab 2 door w 5 speed and 4.0 v6. If this truck gets too far gone with rust, I may look for a southern truck. My perfect truck is a 5 speed 4 cylinder (2 or 4wd) extended cab 4 door and cloth buckets, power windows/locks/AC. Anyone know if this was ever made?
  8. Rear Axle on Work Truck

I have a 99 4.0 4wd with the 8.8 open rear axle. I have only been driving the truck for a few hundred miles since an engine swap. Don't have any knowledge of what it was like before that and I haven't driven too many trucks. I think the rear end makes noise... not sure if its normal. The...
  9. Clutch Master Cylinder Pedal Adjustment

Is there any way to adjust the pedal height for the clutch. I just snapped it back on and it is a little high.... Higher than the brake. Can that be adjusted? Does the rod need to be removed from the clutch pedal arm? I should have thought about this before I snapped on the new plastic clip.
  10. Directed 556U to bypass chipped key?

I have a 99 Ranger XLT and I believe I can put my only chipped key in this bypass and use non-chipped keys. Anyone have any experience with this kind of install?
  11. Quick Fix for Broken Lumbar Support

My Ranger's driver seat back must have broken springs. There is little support in the middle of your back and there are all kinds of strange things pushing at the back seat fabric. I was going to see if I could swap the seat back from my passenger seat and then it occurred to me that I should...
  12. Sticky Clutch Pedal Fix

Anyone know the cause of a sticky clutch pedal? The symptoms are that it depresses fine, but feels like it gets held up momentarily at its lowest point by a mat or something and sticks just a little before going back upward. Its not bad and very drivable, just a little annoying. Annoying...
  13. Ranger Spare (donut vs full size)

My 99 Ranger has stock 245 75R16. I have a spare that is 255 70R16. A little wider and not quite as tall. I got it with a parts Explorer. It was in the back so I don't know what truck it was part of, but I see the impressions of the chassis on the sidewall where the spare tire is stowed. I...
  14. P1151 on Replacement Engine

I could use some help with getting over the next hurdle addressing a p1151 check engine light. I have a few weeks to address this and any other CEL issues prior to state inspection. So far i have only taken 3 short trips with the Ranger since putting the engine in. I think that 1151 is an...
  15. seized compressor

Out for the first real test drive after swapping the motor in the ranger. There was an accessory drive noise that I hadn't isolated. On the short trip, I noticed smoke from under the hood and a burning smell. Turns out the compressor pulley had stopped turning and the belt was smoking on the...
  16. Explorer tires on Ranger

Anyone know if there are issues putting 255 70/R16s on 16" ranger rims that expect 245/75 R16. I looked at a tire comparison and the explorer tires are a little smaller diameter and a little wider. Didn't know if the width would cause issues. My truck is a 99 Ranger XLT 4WD. I have a spare...
  17. Replacement Engine -- Loud Air Noise

Replacement engine is in and complete except for coolant. I wanted to hear it run before I dumped water in. It starts and runs surprisingly good, but after a few seconds it makes a noise that sounds like something more along the lines of air going through a tube at high speed. Hard to...
  18. Emissions Inspection

I get the feeling that the answer to this question may be pretty vehicle/manufacturer specific, so I was hoping the experts here had an answer. I need to get my 99 4.0L ready for inspection in NJ. It will not pass unless the OBDII shows that the catalytic converter has gone through its number...
  19. Rust Repair in Bed

I have a 99 extended cab that has spent its life in NJ and has its share of rust. As part of a repair to fix a bad fuel pump, I decided to pull the bed. When I pulled the plastic factory liner I saw some rust that I need to address. Looking for suggestions here as to how to approach restoring...
  20. Fuel Pump - Replacement Engine

Replacement engine is in. Have everything connected but braided gas line. Was going to energize the fuel pump and blow some fuel through that line into a gas can. Would like to pump the gallon or two of year old gas from the tank and start with a fresh few gallons of fuel. Turned the key the...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad