Search results

1. wiring connector tool

my O2 sensor might have been a bit wonky. now it's a bit dead. the connector must have been against the exhaust pipe for a while because it was partially melted. when i pulled on the wires, they came out of the connector. so i used pliers and pulled the connector apart. the harness end broke...
  2. engine swap info

i'm looking for another series one ranger. this one will be a 4 banger. i have the 88 with the 2.9 auto. i want a gas sipping long distance voyager and that 2.9 ain't it! if, and i stress that 'if' i can find a decent one, it will have the 4 plug motor. how much beer drinking/cussin' will be...
  3. relays

i have an 88 with the 2.9 auto. have just changed the rail mounted fuel pump. first i took the fuse labeled fuel pump (number 18 on the decal inside the fuse panel cover) out and ran it. it didn't die. so i put the fuse back and disconnected the relay. lowest of 3 and hardest to reach. the...
  4. mileage went south

my 88 2.9 auto was getting near 17 mpg at one point but now it is about 10 mpg the truck constantly smells of gas but i can not find any leaks. i borrowed the 'noid tester' and it seems like all injectors are getting power i changed the fuel filter yesterday because i have/had (i hope) an...
  5. front posi?

i have found a 4x4 with an F4 axle code on the door. the seller says the rear was welded at some point but he broke the welds and replaced the guts. as he seems to be low budget, i imagine he used whatever he could find. i only need 1 posi for my 2wd but have been told that sometimes the front...
  6. seeking confirmation

all 7.5 axle housings, 2wd or 4wd, in the same year, are the same. no heavy duty 7.5 axle housing for the 4wd. am i right? i read that 4wd frames are different from 2wd- stronger? thicker material? just more cross braces? but that all standard cab frames are the same regardless of year and...
  7. new master?

i finally have the mustang disc brake conversion ready to go in the 88 ranger. i'm swapping the whole axle from an 89 ranger in so i set up the discs on it and plan to just roll the whole unit under the truck. once the wrenching, bleeding and swearing are done, should i expect to have to put a...
  8. a4ld vs aod vs 4r44e

i think a4ld means automatic 4speed light duty. i think aod means automatic with over drive i think the 4r44e is a internal computer controlled 4 speed with over drive, actually a 3 speed w/ od is a 4r44e the same as the aod or is the aod an auto 4 speed without any electrics/computer i i...
  9. will any t-case bolt to any trans or are they specific to a particular trans?

will a t-case from a 2.3 bolt to a 2.9 4x4 trans? if so, are they as well built? (in the 60's we trashed a lot of 6 cyl trans by using them behind 8 cyls). and are t-cases from manual trans the same as t-cases from autos (same motor)
  10. exciter ring

i am setting up mustang rear disc's on my spare axle. the idea is to have everything ready to swap out the stock springs and axle on my 88 ranger, 2.9 auto, with the rear disc set-up on the axle from my 89 parts truck the 89 axle has the anti-lock brake exciter ring. can i just throw that...
  11. have i got this right?

a 92 4.0 explorer radiator will fit in my 88 2.9 ranger? what about the transmission lines? do they line up correctly? are all year 4.0 explorers 2 row and will they fit? why not a 4.0 ranger? i want a 2 row radiator 'cause it gets HOT here in tampa. (in texas we called them 'desert...
  12. expansion tank cleaning

88 2.9 auto. the expansion tank is so dirty that i can't tell how much water is in it. since LMC doesn't list a series 1 tank, i guess they are NLA. is the top removable? don't want to destroy it trying to take the top off. what would be best to clean it with?
  13. seeking info

have an 88 2wd ranger. axle is '84' 345 ratio. on the highway it cruises at 65 comfortably but is straining a little at 70. it doesn't like doing 75, which is usually the right lane speed here in tampa my questions; will any 7.5 diff fit in my axle housing, irregardless of the source( ranger ...
  14. brake brackets

i am on the verge of converting my 88 ranger to rear disc brakes. i have almost everything i need. i was going to cut the brackets as shown in the 'how to tech' section. the numbers on my brackets, off a 2004 mustang, end with AD instead of the BA in the article. any problem here?
  15. smoothing the ride

i have an 88 long bed ranger. it rides like...well, a truck. i want to make the ride a bit more 'car like'. i have the removable top kit on it. when the top is off, and here in florida that is most of the time, i like to cruise. very seldom will the truck carry a load. i've been thinking...
  16. well, drat!

'88 2.9 auto haven't had a chance to work on the trans problem yet and now another one pops up. i left the key in the ignition for a week (chain link fence and loud dogs; no problem) the dinger is so faint (and i dont hear well) so when i wanted to cruise, dead battery. put the charger on...
  17. tow-mater

1988 2.9 auto long bed towed a trailer for the first time with this truck. trailer and cargo weighed about 2000 lbs. after 30 miles, the truck started surging from 2700 rpm to 2400 and 5 or 10 seconds later going back up. at first i thought it was trying to shift but it was at near...
  18. adding a transfer case

i have an 88 long bed 2wd 2.9 auto. i want to tow it behind the RV. this year's trip i towed rear wheels on the dolly, column locked, a 'club' locking the steering wheel to the brake pedal and straps between the seat mounting bolts and the wheel. did 4500 miles with no problems (from the truck)...
  19. remote TFI

88 2.9 auto the 88 dies after a couple of hours of continuous driving. i decided to put in a remote tfi to eliminate the problem. i bought a heat-sink off e-bay and cut out space for the TFI and wiring. i screwed it down to the battery shelf (the current battery is much smaller than the...
  20. what do i need?

have an 88 2wd ranger w/ 2.9 and automatic. i am considering adding a transfer case so i can tow it behind the land yacht. the only 4x4 i have looked at (86 b2 in the u-pick) has a 2.9 manual. will the tail shaft housing from that bolt to an automatic? does the housing, and whatever connector...