Search results

1. Battery cable help.

'01 Ranger with 2.5 and auto. My truck left me stranded. After working on it, I found the battery cables are bad. Does the positive cable make any stops between the battery and the starter? I want to replace it but I don't want to tare apart the wiring harness to do it. I thought I would cut...
  2. Wanted 4r44e transmission for 2.5L and other parts

Looking for a good 4r44e transmission for my 2001 Ranger with a 2.5L engine. May take a good running 2.5L engine if the price is right. Trying to find one close to upstate SC or southern area of western NC. I also need a good inside door handle pull not the one that opens the door. I also need...
  3. Transmission trouble codes after DPFE replacement

This past Tuesday I replaced the DPFE sensor due to a P1401 trouble code and cleared the trouble code out of the PCM. The new DPFE cleaned up the idle and intermitting stalling problems. I had a high idle problem though, 950 to 1100 rpm. I drove the truck hoping it would settle down and the...
  4. Water inside everywhere!

I went through the checklist. The heater core is good. The cowl is running free. The 3rd brake light isn't leaking but the rear window shows a couple drips an hour but not even enough to wet the hump inside the back of the cab. Checked the door seals and they are good. No rust around the front...
  5. Code P1401 and operational temp not reached

2001 2.5L automatic. I recently purchased a data logging scan tool and took my truck for a 20-minute joy ride. It's been running rough and getting about 175 miles from a tank of fuel. When I got back from the trip, I got the dreaded P1401 code and another response," vehicle operational...
  6. Interior door handle problem and oil guage needle issue.

First issue, the driver's interior door handle. When I went to shut my door, the interior door handle came off in my hand. The metal tore away. I'm a short old fat man with crazy he-man strength. Any ideas on how to repair this? I am looking for a new handle, screws, and clips as well if anyone...
  7. AC + Heater vacuum valve question.

The past couple weeks, I noticed that my AC isn't getting as cold as normal. Broke out the tools and average 40 psi low side and 160 psi high side. Compressor cycles on about every minute or two. All of this is at idle with the engine at normal operating temps, ambient outside temp around 91F...
  8. Halp! Radio fire!

I have a 2001 Ranger all original. I went out and started my truck a few minutes before leaving. When I came out to leave, the truck smelled like an electrical fire. Smoke was coming out the front of the radio and from under the dash. I don't have the tool to remove the factory radio. Is there a...
  9. 98-01 4x2 SAS

I've been researching this idea for a few years. Here is my plan. The victim is a '01 Ranger 4x2 standard cab flareside with coil spring A-arm front suspension. The axle I am considering is the D30 from the Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ 99-04. The axle will be hung on adjustable long arms. Depending on...
  10. Fuel tank size. Is this the right size?

The victim's stats. 2001 Ranger XLT 2.5L Auto std. cab short bed. The SO bought it with 59,000 miles and one owner. I recently acquired said Ranger for my project. I recently had a fuel pump failure. I removed the bed to clean out the tank, replace the sending unit, and replace the fuel filler...
  11. 4x4 M50D-R1 (HD) speedo pick up?

I want to do a manual swap on my '01 Ranger. What years M50D-R1 for a 4x4 have the speedo pick up in the transmission? I was hoping the newer HD version could be set up with a speedo pick up.
  12. GM axles

My neighbor blew the transmission in his 4x4 '85 Chev 1500 forest service truck.He transplanted the 400SBC into his other truck and offered the carcase to me. It looks like it has a D44 in the front and the rear I think may be corprate.They are six lug and the rear is a full floater.I thought...
  13. What seat belts interchange?

I have a standard cab 2001 Ranger.What years can I grab a set of seat belts from? I got stopped for a cracked windshield and the officer noticed that my seat belts were frayed.I have rarely argued with an officer,but I did today.I wasn't having my truck towed.It never sees highway duty and...
  14. Alternator and charging issue.

I had to jump start my '01 Ranger,and it fried the diode.I took the truck to my local auto parts house and had it checked.It checked out as low charging 13.5v and bad diode.The battery was charged and checked out in the high range of good.So, I replaced the voltage regulator in the...
  15. By passing or eliminating the ABS pump 2001 Ranger?

My '01 Ranger hasn't had operating ABS in nearly 10 years.It was wrecked last September.The truck is doing farm duty now.The 4 wheel ABS module/pump is leaking and sucking air into the system.I took it to a local shop.After they diagnosed and priced the replacement,plus two wheel sensors,I said...
  16. 95 Mazda B3000 short bed fit an 01 Ranger stepside?

I'm trying to find out if a 1995 Mazda B3000 short bed will fit my 2001 Ranger Stepside.I need a new bed. I have found a deal,but I don't know if the Mazda bed will fit my Ranger.TIA
  17. 01 Rnager front bump stops with coil spring suspension

I rebuilt the front suspension on my GF's '01 Ranger with the coil spring front end.This truck is all factory.No lift and not lowered.The bump stops are shredded.I don't know how tall they were originally.I need to find replacements that are rubber or at least softer than poly stops.This truck...
  18. Running so rich it's fouling plugs and stall,codes.

2000 Ranger 2.5 automatic 4x2 is running so rich it's stalling and fouling spark plugs.It's also pumping black smoke out the tail pipe from idle to about 3000rpm.The codes says it's running lean,but it's far from running lean.The codes I get are P1131 and P0171.Surely a bad O2 sensor wouldn't...
  19. Here are oil pump seal and gasket P/Ns

While disassembling my 2.5L, for what I thought was a broken timing belt,I found the belt had jump timing due to a massive oil leak.Thank fully the timing jumped enough to stall the engine before it lost all oil pressure.I knew I had a pretty bad oil leak and suspected the front crankshaft...
  20. 01 2.5L harmonic balancer bolt size and puller?

I have found conflicting information about the bolt head size on a 2001 with a 2.5L.Is it 22mm or 24mm?I need to buy the correct socket the first time.Also,will an 8 inch 3 jaw puller remove the harmonic balancer?This is a road side repair so I need to make sure i have the proper tools when I go...