• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 4.0 no start no spark

Tonyt22

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys just picked up a 95 4.0 4x4 first ranger in a while guy I bought it from said he parked it came out the next morning and no start so far I determined its getting fuel at the rails but no spark at the coil any tips and where I should start

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First, do 50/50 test
Spray gasoline or starting fluid into the intake
Crank engine <<<< this is the only way to test for spark and spark timing, spark testers don't work well on Fords Waste Spark system

If it fires up and dies you have spark but no fuel from injectors
If it doesn't fire up then you have no spark
50/50 instant results

Spark system is really simple
On the front of the engine next to crank pulley is the Crank Sensor
It reads what looks like a "gear" on the pulley, this times the spark AND fuel injectors
So computer will only start spark and injectors when this sensor starts to send pulses from crank spinning

Crank engine over and then pull out 1 spark plug, see if its tip is wet, if its wet then crank sensor is working, if its dry AND no spark then could be crank sensor is bad, these rarely fail but rarely is not never

Only thing left for no spark is Coil Pack power, pull off 4 wire connector, test RED wire for 12volts with key ON
If no 12volts then check fuse #19 in cab fuse box, 25amp fuse

Do the dash lights come on with key ON?

Tonyt22

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
First, do 50/50 test
Spray gasoline or starting fluid into the intake
Crank engine <<<< this is the only way to test for spark and spark timing, spark testers don't work well on Fords Waste Spark system

If it fires up and dies you have spark but no fuel from injectors
If it doesn't fire up then you have no spark
50/50 instant results

Spark system is really simple
On the front of the engine next to crank pulley is the Crank Sensor
It reads what looks like a "gear" on the pulley, this times the spark AND fuel injectors
So computer will only start spark and injectors when this sensor starts to send pulses from crank spinning

Crank engine over and then pull out 1 spark plug, see if its tip is wet, if its wet then crank sensor is working, if its dry AND no spark then could be crank sensor is bad, these rarely fail but rarely is not never

Only thing left for no spark is Coil Pack power, pull off 4 wire connector, test RED wire for 12volts with key ON
If no 12volts then check fuse #19 in cab fuse box, 25amp fuse

Do the dash lights come on with key ON?
Yea all lights turn on check engine will turn on then off and after a few moments on cranking will turn back on but scanner doesnt pick anything up
Grabbed my test light ,multimeter, and some starting fluid going to test when I get home

Tonyt22

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I tested the 50/50 definitely no spark
Brand new cks nothing tested the plug no power from the hot went all the way to the pcm and nothing from the wires so I'm assuming bad pcm or is there something else that would cause the pcm not to send power out everything else is getting powered

Can I bypass the pcm and run a hot from the battery to test out the cks

Pcm looks like it's been swapped recently has remanufactured marks dont know when that was tho

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The crank sensor generates its own power, you should see .5vAC(not DC) when engine is cranking

Crank sensor is a VR(variable reluctance) sensor so when a metal tone wheel(reluctor ring) with "teeth" passes by close to it the magnetic field causes it to generate a pulsing AC signal, the pulsing is a timing signal
In the case of the crank sensor there is one missing "tooth" on the tone wheel that denotes #1 cylinder at TDC, the PCM sees each pulse and sees the missing pulse, the gap, this is how it times spark and injectors

You can test crank sensor by setting volt meter to AC volts, then crank the engine, at 200rpm(crank speed) you should see .5-.9vAC

Tonyt22

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info and reply so went back and tested the cks and was good figured out which pin on the sensor was pos and traced the wire back to the pcm looks like the po crossed the wires when he spliced in a new plug cut the wires and re soldered them truck fired right up no gotta finish re painting this beaut camo isn't really working for me

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work (y)

Thanks for posting the FIX

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looking Good

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals