• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by 98v70dad

1. A couple of nagging questions ....

I replaced the cam synchronizer (with OEM Motorcraft) about 50K miles ago when I got the truck. I hesitated to describe the noise as a chirp because I really doubt that the synchronizer is the problem and chirping is how that failure is described. Could be but that part is pretty new. The...
  2. A couple of nagging questions ....

My 1996 Ranger with air conditioning has a couple of minor things going on that really annoy me and I would like to fix them. 1) The first is the parking brake release. When I pull out the release I can hear the pedal disengage and move but it never completely releases. I always have to pull...
  3. Timing chain cover coolant leak - possible ways to fix?

Not sure what you mean by that. Aviation sealer on that one bolt instead of permatex? I am trying to ovoid taking off the timing belt cover. The truck only has 100K miles on it and I'm pretty sure the timing belt is fine so taking off the cover (an enormous PITA) to seal a tiny leak is...
  4. Timing chain cover coolant leak - possible ways to fix?

The bolt under the leak is one of the three that go into the coolant passages. But the leak looks like its coming thru the gasket and not underneath the bolt head. I'm not convinced that sealing up that bolt is going to stop the leak. Its actually the easiest thing to do other than doing...
  5. Timing chain cover coolant leak - possible ways to fix?

I've noticed a tiny leak at the typical location (passenger side top visible bolt) and am wondering if there is a way to "fix" it temporarily or indefinitely. Removing the cover and replacing the gasket is a lot of work for an almost 30 year old truck, Paying someone to do it will cost about...
  6. AC seems to be running all the time - ????

I've been watching a little coolant leak (more like a seep) on my 96 Ranger so I've been paying attention to puddles under it after going for a drive. Today, I was running a bottle of Prestone coolant clean through the system so I can do a good flush and fill. To do a good job I had the heat...
  7. Head gasket failure on the 3.0 - how common?

What and where to get a QUALITY replacement radiator? My daily driver is INOP in the driveway and I really could use an answer for this. Junk is found easily without help. Spectra premium is available locally but out of stock everywhere.
  8. Head gasket failure on the 3.0 - how common?

Did the glove test. Was aware of it and had used it on other cars but forgot about it so thanks for the reminder. It passed.
  9. Head gasket failure on the 3.0 - how common?

Radiators in production cars have been made of plastic and aluminum for decades. So, no, my radiator is not made of copper.
  10. Head gasket failure on the 3.0 - how common?

Again, can anyone recommend a good quality radiator? Rock Auto doesn't have a motorcraft part. There is a lot of junk aftermarket stuff and I want a quality part.
  11. Head gasket failure on the 3.0 - how common?

What is a good quality aftermarket radiator? Recommendations please. I once put a radiator I bought at NAPA in my Camry and it failed in two years. It was replaced under warrantee but radiators should last a long time. The radiator in my Ranger is 28 years old and its probably a good idea to...
  12. Head gasket failure on the 3.0 - how common?

It wasn't a cold start. I drove to home depot and then back home. I had driven about 15 miles prior to that. The steam started a block from getting home. I would have stopped but there was I guy blowing off the dust from his driveway at exactly the same spot that the puff off steam appeared...
  13. Head gasket failure on the 3.0 - how common?

I got the valve in. Figured out the orientation. Filled it with coolant, drove it 20 miles and its running fine. I don't know how low the fluid level dropped but it only started steaming about a block from my house driving 25 mph. I think it will be OK but time will tell.
  14. Head gasket failure on the 3.0 - how common?

Unfortunately the link and picture don't work for me. Maybe I need to update something. I haven't been on therangerstation for a while. The text doesn't help me decide which hose goes on which port of the heater core bypass valve. The heater core loop is separate loop as I understand it and...
  15. Head gasket failure on the 3.0 - how common?

My part arrived today so I'm putting it in tomorrow morning. Thanks for the comments. I know that the heater core is a loop so the two hoses going to the heater core can go on either way. How do the other two hoses attach to the bypass valve? I know the whole thing is a loop but it seems...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad