• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anybody with a 1994 2.3l w/Automatic trans...HELP!

Ginz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2.3l
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
I need to get my truck smog checked. The emissions label is gone, and the book issued to the smog check stations seems to wrong about what equipment should be on the engine. The emissions label is no longer available from Ford.

What I need is for somebody who has the same truck to please take a picture of their emissions label so I can show it to the smog check station.

This will be tremendously appreciated!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I've got a copy of the book that shows the stickers and lists emissions equipment for the '94 models. The underhood emissions sticker may be missing, but does your truck have a small "Calibration" sticker on the doorjamb? If so post the code; it'll be something like " 4-49x-Rxx ".

Ginz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2.3l
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
Is this the sticker ?

Attachments

Ginz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2.3l
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a copy of the book that shows the stickers and lists emissions equipment for the '94 models. The underhood emissions sticker may be missing, but does your truck have a small "Calibration" sticker on the doorjamb? If so post the code; it'll be something like " 4-49x-Rxx ".
Oops,
I found the right sticker. Here it is:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
There are three VECI (Vehicle Emission Control Information) decals listed for the 4-50S calibration. The "R11" is the revision number; it starts at R00 and increases as revisions occur. Your VIN confirms it came with the 2.3L, and I suspect that your truck came with California emission specs (note that the code KAU sticker states CA, the KJJ sticker doesn't). Here's pics of all three versions of the 4-50S-Rxx calibration pages from the 1994 Ford book.
94 Code KAC.JPG

94 Code KAU.JPG

94 Code KJJ.JPG

Hope this helps!

Ginz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2.3l
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
There are three VECI (Vehicle Emission Control Information) decals listed for the 4-50S calibration. The "R11" is the revision number; it starts at R00 and increases as revisions occur. Your VIN confirms it came with the 2.3L, and I suspect that your truck came with California emission specs (note that the code KAU sticker states CA, the KJJ sticker doesn't). Here's pics of all three versions of the 4-50S-Rxx calibration pages from the 1994 Ford book.
View attachment 34397

View attachment 34398

View attachment 34399

Hope this helps!
RobbieD I really appreciate your effort and explanation of what these codes mean!
The book at the smog station says the truck should have an EGR system which it obviously didn't. This documentation confirms what I already knew.
Now I'll have to return to the Smog station with this documentation in hand and see if I can get this taken care of.

Ginz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2.3l
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
View attachment 34397

View attachment 34398

View attachment 34399

Hope this helps!
RobbieD,
I hope you will do this for me.
If you could take a picture of the KAU sticker with the book flat, and as in focus as possible, I can then use Photoishop to creat a pretty convincing fake sticker. That way I won't have to go through this every time the truck needs to be smogged.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Glad to help. See if the attached will work for you. Focus looks OK, but there's some distortion since it's a photo. Maybe you can "fix" it in Photoshop; if it won't work right, let me know and we'll figure something out.

94 Code KAU close.JPG

Do you need a better shot of the KAU page itself? I would think that Ford's list of emissions equipment tied to your door sticker code would be a convincing argument with the smog station.

Good luck!

khendricks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I know this is an old post but I'm looking for a replacement VECI sticker (or a picture of one) for my 97 Ranger XLT. I know the engine test group. What is the KAU book?

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals