• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1952 Ford 8N worth restoring?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, tractor tires are fluid filled, but not all the way, there are charts, charts are for 2 tires usually, so if it says 40gal thats 20gal per tire, because its done for the total WEIGHT of the fluid at the rear, 40gal is about 400lbs

If using it for lawns you don't want as much weight, so it doesn't leave tracks, so it's users choice as to how much WEIGHT you want/need for traction without sinking in

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
on dads 2N we used winter grade windshield washer fluid. 33 gallons per tire I think. bought a whole pallet to do the job with. should of seen the flames when we burnt the empty boxes/jugs.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Aparently these tires have tubes, my buddy said the tires can be repaired (they still have very deep tread and are not dry rotted) but have a couple gouges in them and then they just need need new tubes.

Nooooo idea how I would get them off the rims though. A little beyond a tire spoons capability... :dunno:
Break the bead loose with a sledge, spoon off tire.

Parts are everywhere, Dennis Carpenter and Steiner have just about anything you could need.

Not having live PTO isn't a big deal once you get on to it. Aside from the hand clutch thing on my bigger A-C's nothing I have has true live pto.

Depending on what you do you don't HAVE to have fluid in tractor tires, a lot of them are dry. Only one of mine has fluid in it (and it is the nasty stuff)

One thing about Ford... they didn't copy anybody. They had their own little theory about how to do things and if you are used to a different color there are a lot of oddities about them.

Moneywise you gotta do it for you, it will be hard to break even. N series used to be really popular but I think the new compact tractors like Kubota kinda gutted the market. Radiators and tires will kill ya. Hard to buy a tractor worth $800 running/driving that needs a $300 radiator and $500 worth of tires and come out ahead.

My last one when I got it (for free, had been sitting since the mid 80's)

A new radiator, used tires, new water pump, valve job, alternator/wiring and carb rebuild later it is my #2 horse... and a running WD is worth about $800. $1500 with new tires and nice paint.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I gave him 850 and a dozen silkies so it's a done deal. Picking it up sunday!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The 2N/9N had the PTO driven off the diff.

Those sherman trannys are fun. They'll flat out haul ass in high 4th. Way faster then whats safe with the ridiculious steering and horrid brakes.

Low 1st youll pull over a house at idle.
There's a 37 John Deere out back by an old barn that had a PTO on the differential, but it got lifted while we lived in the city.
My father used it farming in the 40s/50s. There's also old plows and stuff, a 1930s hay baler, and an old hay rake that started out as a horse drawn

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
There's a 37 John Deere out back by an old barn that had a PTO on the differential, but it got lifted while we lived in the city.
My father used it farming in the 40s/50s. There's also old plows and stuff, a 1930s hay baler, and an old hay rake that started out as a horse drawn
I love old equipment like that.

I got an old 1 bottom plow for my cub. Bought it to plant a garden at the old house when the rototiller took a shit. But switching implements on the cub is a bitch.

One of these days though id like to take it to a plow days and see how well the cub can really break ground.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It comes out the axle housing below the diff and between the final drive bull gears, the differential is actually quite a ways up inside that thing and is independant of the PTO.

I don't know of any tractor that runs the PTO off the differential.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It ran off the gears there somehow. There's also a belt drive on the left there in front of the flywheel.
Also the old baler and Rake

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I gave him 850 and a dozen silkies so it's a done deal. Picking it up sunday!
What did your rooster think about that? You'll know if he starts roosting on it :D

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I need to get a pic of my mom's old ford tractor. It doesn't have a color unless you consider rust a color. It's been nothing but rust as long as I remember but it started, drove good and had a 3 pt hitch with a scraper that we used to clear snow/gravel down our 1/8 mile driveway. Fun tractor, awkward shifter... Been a while but I think I remember which gears are what. Can't read anything on it due to the amount of rust.... It looks like this but rust colored lol. I remember it having that little hatch at the top so you could fill the gas tank. Wish I knew more about it.... I honestly don't know if it's an 8n or something else. Are there any specifics that separate models that I could look for to see what model tractor it is??? It's a lot like this one in the picture with the hatch on top and the distributor cap and points on the passenger side.

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It ran off the gears there somehow. There's also a belt drive on the left there in front of the flywheel.
Also the old baler and Rake
Way up in there down low, this is my '46 B (basically a 3/4 scale A) There is a stub shaft that goes from the splined socket to the shaft that comes out the back. In automotive terms that is the ring gear for the diff just to the left of it (none of that fancy swirly hypoid gear crap in here)

Diff as seen from above the bull gears:

The belt pulley drive on the side actually has the engine clutch inside of it.

The old two bangers are a really neat almost caveman crude machine, you really need to get it going. The back covers are interchangable a long ways newer. Not correct but they fit and you can get nice two way hydraulics if you go new enough.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ok so today I go to hear it fire up and find out... it is NOT a 52 model 8n... it is a 57 model 640...

Does that mean anything to anyone? I personally dont give a crap I just want a tractor and know nothing either way. Still good? Stay away? 800 and some chickens still a good deal?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
good deal. engine is a 134 cid ohv. still no live pto, but about 30 hp instead of 20. A “800” series would of been a 172 cid, 45 hp I think. the only fords id steer away from would be those with the “select-o-speed” transmission. the hundred series became the thousand series in the early/mid sixties, and paint went from red/cream to the off-white/ford blue. the 600 series became the 2000 and the 800 series became the 4000. in mid-64 the change from 6V to 12V took place. we had a early 64 4000. power steering was available by then as well as live pto

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The 100 series was just the N series successor

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Cool beans. It's being dropped off this afternoon. I'm gonna drive it up and down the road at 5mph to piss people off. I've always wanted to do that!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals