• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1952 Ford 8N worth restoring?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The 2N/9N had the PTO driven off the diff.

Those sherman trannys are fun. They'll flat out haul ass in high 4th. Way faster then whats safe with the ridiculious steering and horrid brakes.

Low 1st youll pull over a house at idle.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
The 2N/9N had the PTO driven off the diff.

Those sherman trannys are fun. They'll flat out haul ass in high 4th. Way faster then whats safe with the ridiculious steering and horrid brakes.

Low 1st youll pull over a house at idle.
no joke, when the 8N had the backhoe & loader it weighed twice as much as the tractor alone, the loader became a brake sometimes, it was a trip-bucket and just there to conterbalance the heavy hoe on the back.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
another thing with the sherman, it affects the pto speed too, so you’d double your pto rpm if overdrive was engaged. the real “holy grail” was the sherman combination, it gave you both step down (underdrive), direct drive and step up (overdrive) Ive only ever seen one in person, on a jubilee (that looked like hell and the dealer wanted 4 grand for) Ive never seen a step-down in person, they weren’t as common as the step up. (I wish my allis had one!)

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
another thing with the sherman, it affects the pto speed too, so you’d double your pto rpm if overdrive was engaged. the real “holy grail” was the sherman combination, it gave you both step down (underdrive), direct drive and step up (overdrive) Ive only ever seen one in person, on a jubilee (that looked like hell and the dealer wanted 4 grand for) Ive never seen a step-down in person, they weren’t as common as the step up. (I wish my allis had one!)
Really?

Ive seen quite a few that had the low/high range.

I wish my cub had a high range. 6mph in 3rd wide open is just to slow.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My mom has an old 8n I've been wanting. It still 6v with points and distributor. I remember as a young teenager me and a friend of my parents got it running by just adjusting the gaps on the points, new distributor and new starter solenoid. Really easy to work on even with points. I was the hands in that operation (the guy helping lost his right arm so he can't as much wrenching as he used to but still has a wealth of knowledge). That's when I learned a voltmeter too. Ahh the god ol days when you can do a lot with a voltmeter on a tractor. Now-a-days you have sensors on top of sensors and too much electronics to worry about. I wouldn't pay $1000 for it if it needs a lot of work. $600 would be tops if it needs tires...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Aparently these tires have tubes, my buddy said the tires can be repaired (they still have very deep tread and are not dry rotted) but have a couple gouges in them and then they just need need new tubes.

Nooooo idea how I would get them off the rims though. A little beyond a tire spoons capability... :dunno:

.38spl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
My credo
James 1:19

This was my great grandfathers TO20. Not the same as an 8N, but close. Works good as an overgrown lawn mower, driveway grader, and for moving heavy-ish stuff with the boom pole. Also lots of fun for general backroads prowling.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Here she is in all her glory... it dont look like much but everything works. It has new radiator, water pump, hoses etc in the process of getting put on. Has a "master" carb rebuild kit but he said I'm on my own doing that. Has a new battery and the starter was just refurbished. And it has a new umm I guess you call it a radius arm that he's putting on. He said it will be 100% back together and fully operational by the end of the week minus the one tire being flat but it will aparently hold air for a couple days.

Screenshot_20191204-101919_Gallery.jpg

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Here she is in all her glory... it dont look like much but everything works. It has new radiator, water pump, hoses etc in the process of getting put on. Has a "master" carb rebuild kit but he said I'm on my own doing that. Has a new battery and the starter was just refurbished. And it has a new umm I guess you call it a radius arm that he's putting on. He said it will be 100% back together and fully operational by the end of the week minus the one tire being flat but it will aparently hold air for a couple days.

View attachment 34296
Get a front clip for it and hit it with a coat of paint youll have a nice lil tractor that will pry outlive all of us

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Oh and aparently it has no brakes but I simply dont see that as an issue on a tractor that will probably never go over 4mph.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Aparently these tires have tubes, my buddy said the tires can be repaired (they still have very deep tread and are not dry rotted) but have a couple gouges in them and then they just need need new tubes.

Nooooo idea how I would get them off the rims though. A little beyond a tire spoons capability... :dunno:
I got a tire machine that will do them.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Looks good. Sounds like $1000 to me.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
typically the brake problems on those older fords are from leaking axle seals, soaking the brake pads. on a 8N the drum just slides off like most vehicles. on the 9N/2N the whole hub & shaft comes out, and its a much larger heavier hub. That 8N I have a picture of Id like to get going one day. Hopefully the back tires on that arent using cacl for weight, it was very common to fill the back tires with a calcium choride mixture, you got a good amount of weight per tire and it wouldn’t freeze but its very corrosive and if you had a leak it would quickly rust rims

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
typically the brake problems on those older fords are from leaking axle seals, soaking the brake pads. on a 8N the drum just slides off like most vehicles. on the 9N/2N the whole hub & shaft comes out, and its a much larger heavier hub. That 8N I have a picture of Id like to get going one day. Hopefully the back tires on that arent using cacl for weight, it was very common to fill the back tires with a calcium choride mixture, you got a good amount of weight per tire and it wouldn’t freeze but its very corrosive and if you had a leak it would quickly rust rims
I was thinking about something like this, it's a tractor why can't I just fill the tires with something besides air lol.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I was thinking about something like this, it's a tractor why can't I just fill the tires with something besides air lol.
Use rimguard. Its beet juice. Heavy as hell, dont freeze till like -30, and non toxic and wont rot rims.

Put it in my cub. You dont want air tires on a tractor, it wont have traction to do much of nothin. It made a huge difference on my cub.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals