• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TRS Goals For 2020

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Mine is only 25 but I have a dedicated metric & standard socket set behind the seat. Tire iron, jack, can-o-gas, quart-o-oil, RTV tube, and that's about all you need. Grease your hubs and lube points before you go. My Ranger only got me stuck twice (fuel pump and computer, both of which are out now) and I thoroughly trust the internals of the motor & trans combo. If I were to keep my computer I'd carry a spare - they fail and they don't tell you it's their fault.

Now that's my backyard. Great country up here. Trees, mountains, dirt roads, hunt & fish spots everywhere, all a back woods type needs. I think TRS is a but under represented up here though, I see tons of old Rangers and Broncos in great shape but I doubt many of these folks know about the site. Great marketing opportunity.
This is what I've found too...at least here in Idaho I see RBV's all the time and the few I have spoke to had no idea about TRS...not sure any of them actually ever checked out the forum either, but so many out there have no clue this forum exists :(. I've learned so much on this forum, and even though my 88 Bronco 2 isn't worth crap to anybody, and the only way I could sell it would be to a scrap yard. I had AAMCO rebuild the transmission right after I bought it, and just last year I had to have the engine replaced...both due to the PO's complete lack of maintenance, hack repairs, and abuse. Funny I was looking at the approximate MSRP on an Eddie Bauer 88 Bronco 2 a few weeks ago and then realized the amount I have tied up in this thing is about what they cost new in 88 LOL.

This forum is what keeps these old RBV's going, or at least hopefully keeps them going....I know some are beyond repair but for the most part many here seem to keep them going even with different powertrains...personally I stick to original powertrain, but interesting to see what other's are able to do that's way above my skill level HAHA!!

Maybe someone or a group of offroad and long distance RBV guys could get together and create a list of stuff to carry on cross country trips for example.

1. List of parts, tools, accessories, etc. to carry along when going on long distance trips (I know to carry spare fluids, a working jack, lug wrench, etc.) but if I head off into the sunset with my 88 Bronco 2 what would be advisable to carry in the way of parts?
2. List of Junk yard parts to grab that a DIYer can easily pull and install and parts to pull and keep on a shelf because they just can't be purchased anymore
3. Budget list of offroad goodies that'll work on 80's Bronco 2's and Rangers without having to swap drivetrain, axles, etc.
4. List of LED light upgrades for Bronco 2's and Rangers like tail/brake light LED's that work, turn signal LEDs, instrument/interior LEDs, etc. (Something I want to do to my Bronco 2 is replace as many bulbs as I can with LEDs...probably keep the factory headlights but everything else I'd like to replace if possible at some point.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
YES we should do another event! I would love to do another trail ride, probably I will be limited to a few hours radius from Indy, but we have members all of the US, so even if we held one in California or whatever, we should have enough people to be interested.

California (So. Calif, anyway) is infact one of the most populated areas of the country... However most everyone around here who has a trail-capable vehicle, has a Jeep... The very few that shunned Jeep for a (non-fullsize) pickup has a Toyota.

4WD RBVs (especially ones that are built up at all) for some reason are exceedingly rare out here. If there was a get-together here, I think the chances are pretty high it might end up being just Jim, myself, and anyone who is willing to drive 500+ miles to get here (which is unfortunate because there are plenty of great trails in the deserts & mountains out here, even many a mostly-stock truck could handle). Without actually checking, I'm thinking I might be able to count on one hand the number of (active) members here who list their location as being anywhere in So. Calif (or maybe I'm just blind? I dunno... It seems quite RBV-desolate out here if you're not into the 2WD desert prerunner/racing scene).

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Once a month the older car guys get together and pick a place to have lunch, ( Hooters, Sonic drive-ins, or any where they can all gather and eat) I see the cars in parking lots and people staring and pointing, like an impromptu car show. I always see the owners talking to people about their cars. It's really cool and the fact that they organize and execute these meet ups, give me hope that one day I will get to go to a Ranger Corral.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1. List of parts, tools, accessories, etc. to carry along when going on long distance trips (I know to carry spare fluids, a working jack, lug wrench, etc.) but if I head off into the sunset with my 88 Bronco 2 what would be advisable to carry in the way of parts?
Really depends on the truck and what you are doing.

Mechanically my truck is pretty young. Before I swap something in it gets new seals and I check the bearings and of course it gets new oil. Engine accessories (water pump, oil pump/pickup, dizzy, alternator, starter, fuel pump, and even carb) are less than 10 years old and low miles. I think getting it to that point would really help so you are not stuck changing a greasy 35 year old starter in the rain in a hotel parking lot first thing in the morning.

For tools I know I had way more than I needed (I actually needed nothing) but I think a spindle socket is good to have with. You basically have to have one if you work on your own truck and sure you could buy one on the road if you need it... but don't really want two $20 sockets. I also had my rod/jet kit for my carb and required T25 torx screwdriver so I could take my Edelbrock carb apart.

If you are going to go in water I would carry a change of axle fluids and probably front wheel bearings too. Extend your breathers too, just do that even if you don't plan on going in water.

I also had my father in law follow me in his late model F-150 for several reasons:
1. In case my 7mo pregnant wife became uncomfortable in my Ranger
2. The truck had been down for almost a year and only together for less than a month after a transmission, t-case and front axle swap and I didn't have full confidence in it... anything goes wrong and I was a u-haul dolly away from getting it back home with a tow pig on hand.
3. I had a gofer. If something died, like say the fuel pump my truck would be dead right there... But with a wingman "hey I need a Mr Gasket 12S fuel pump or something similar, here is a pic and my card" And he goes to get the part and I make sure nobody picks on the unattended truck.. No walking, no hitch hiking and nobody steals my radio.

So I wouldn't really jump in a 30 year old truck I bought from a police impound auction and do it the next day, with a ton of prep work and planning it is was a very fun trip. I had three guys come up to me and talk to me about the truck on the road which was neat... nobody has ever done that before. Not sure if it was because I was very out of state or what. Truck did perfect, I hope I can do more trips like that as I had a riot.

If you haven't seen it here is a synopsis of my trip to Ohio:

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Wow. I hadn’t read this thread in a few days. Lots of good ideas. Something mentioned earlier that I think would be good would be a video section or TRS YouTube channel with various subheadings.

I came up with an idea a few months ago that I Hope to begin working on in 2020 is a series of videos concerning automotive/RBV electrical stuff. I have a list of 15 or more topics ranging from basic electrical terms and tools, through how the automotive electrical system works, troubleshooting, reading electrical drawings, adding circuits and accessories and more specific things like 4x4 shift motor and controller. Hopefully address a lot of the issues people ask about here.

I’ll probably do my own YouTube channel and provide links here somewhere. Give me a few months to finish settling into my new house and I’ll get started.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
This is what I've found too...at least here in Idaho I see RBV's all the time and the few I have spoke to had no idea about TRS...not sure any of them actually ever checked out the forum either, but so many out there have no clue this forum exists :(. I've learned so much on this forum, and even though my 88 Bronco 2 isn't worth crap to anybody, and the only way I could sell it would be to a scrap yard. I had AAMCO rebuild the transmission right after I bought it, and just last year I had to have the engine replaced...both due to the PO's complete lack of maintenance, hack repairs, and abuse. Funny I was looking at the approximate MSRP on an Eddie Bauer 88 Bronco 2 a few weeks ago and then realized the amount I have tied up in this thing is about what they cost new in 88 LOL.

This forum is what keeps these old RBV's going, or at least hopefully keeps them going....I know some are beyond repair but for the most part many here seem to keep them going even with different powertrains...personally I stick to original powertrain, but interesting to see what other's are able to do that's way above my skill level HAHA!!

Maybe someone or a group of offroad and long distance RBV guys could get together and create a list of stuff to carry on cross country trips for example.

2. List of Junk yard parts to grab that a DIYer can easily pull and install and parts to pull and keep on a shelf because they just can't be purchased anymore
3. Budget list of offroad goodies that'll work on 80's Bronco 2's and Rangers without having to swap drivetrain, axles, etc.
4. List of LED light upgrades for Bronco 2's and Rangers like tail/brake light LED's that work, turn signal LEDs, instrument/interior LEDs, etc. (Something I want to do to my Bronco 2 is replace as many bulbs as I can with LEDs...probably keep the factory headlights but everything else I'd like to replace if possible at some point.
You can find a lot of the general stuff on Ronny Dahl’s Youtube channel. Gear, recommended fluids, suggested spare parts, and tools.

For Ranger and Bronco II stuff, we’d need to build a list here. There might be some of that in the articles section already. I know there is an off road/overlanding section already there.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
How do we stay relevant after 20 years?
I thing TRS is as relevant as ever and maybe more so now. I remember when I joined in 2008. There was a lot of "derp" and thoughtless questions posted. Since then and with the popularity of Facebook groups, it seems that the quality of posts and content has gone way up. I don't know how that translates into clicks/page traffic/etc and I suspect that it probably hurts overall traffic...but... you don't go to Facebook for advice or tech help, it's the same. old. questions. in literally every group, every day.

I also think that the 8 year break we had in between trucks didn't help things, however, with the new Ranger I would expect more owners to be visiting TRS.

Bottom line - I don't think it's a matter of staying relevant - it IS relevant, I think the goal should be to stay current and not dwell on only how awesome the old trucks were.

Should we do another event?
Yep. I vote somewhere out west this time - CO, WY, ............SD.......... hint hint ;)

Should we do a TRS group project?
I think it would be fun.

Should we create our own video production, and what should it contain?
Maybe short clips with tech ideas? Ultimate Adventure/Roadkill/etc style videos? In depth look at a specific build? Lots of ways you could go.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Awesome stuff here.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Really depends on the truck and what you are doing.

Mechanically my truck is pretty young. Before I swap something in it gets new seals and I check the bearings and of course it gets new oil. Engine accessories (water pump, oil pump/pickup, dizzy, alternator, starter, fuel pump, and even carb) are less than 10 years old and low miles. I think getting it to that point would really help so you are not stuck changing a greasy 35 year old starter in the rain in a hotel parking lot first thing in the morning.

For tools I know I had way more than I needed (I actually needed nothing) but I think a spindle socket is good to have with. You basically have to have one if you work on your own truck and sure you could buy one on the road if you need it... but don't really want two $20 sockets. I also had my rod/jet kit for my carb and required T25 torx screwdriver so I could take my Edelbrock carb apart.

If you are going to go in water I would carry a change of axle fluids and probably front wheel bearings too. Extend your breathers too, just do that even if you don't plan on going in water.

I also had my father in law follow me in his late model F-150 for several reasons:
1. In case my 7mo pregnant wife became uncomfortable in my Ranger
2. The truck had been down for almost a year and only together for less than a month after a transmission, t-case and front axle swap and I didn't have full confidence in it... anything goes wrong and I was a u-haul dolly away from getting it back home with a tow pig on hand.
3. I had a gofer. If something died, like say the fuel pump my truck would be dead right there... But with a wingman "hey I need a Mr Gasket 12S fuel pump or something similar, here is a pic and my card" And he goes to get the part and I make sure nobody picks on the unattended truck.. No walking, no hitch hiking and nobody steals my radio.

So I wouldn't really jump in a 30 year old truck I bought from a police impound auction and do it the next day, with a ton of prep work and planning it is was a very fun trip. I had three guys come up to me and talk to me about the truck on the road which was neat... nobody has ever done that before. Not sure if it was because I was very out of state or what. Truck did perfect, I hope I can do more trips like that as I had a riot.

If you haven't seen it here is a synopsis of my trip to Ohio:

Thanks for your input. I'm about a year into the vehicle after a replacement engine (rebuilt with a 3 year warranty), and about 2 years since the transmission was rebuilt. I believe about all that's really left is the dang front end, all the bushings, ball joints, etc. I think need attention and I swear it needs new camber bushings again. Front end kind of wants to wander, but I also wonder if part of that is due to the way the roads are crowned as well as have ruts in them from semi-trucks, and larger trucks and cars so the Bronco 2 just seems to wander between all them LOL.

I really need to get a tool kit put together and carry, plus if I carry a tool kit it makes an unscheduled trip to the pick a part easy as I'll already have all the common tools with me. Maybe a cordless impact driver, sockets, etc.?

I wouldn't be running across country with my Bronco 2, maybe from Idaho into Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, at some point, still far enough away to make me very uneasy LOL.

Both driveshafts were rebuilt and converted to U-joints, the originals had a weird type of a CV joint in them so I had them converted and rebuilt when the transmission was rebuilt, no issues there. Installed new manual locking hubs 2 years ago as well.

I looked at your link to your Ohio trip. Your Ranger looks great, I love the older square body style Rangers, someday I will have another one LOL, but right now the Bronco 2 suffices my RBV love. I enjoy driving the Bronco 2 and now that the engine has been broken in properly I feel like a somewhat long road trip would be a great way to celebrate its life LOL. My only thing would be most freeways are pushing the 75mph or higher speeds now not sure if the ole Bronco 2 would handle that very long LOL.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My only thing would be most freeways are pushing the 75mph or higher speeds now not sure if the ole Bronco 2 would handle that very long LOL.
I did two lane highway out and back, no regrets.

Interstate would have takes us thru Chicago and every huge city between here and there sidetracking way up north and came out like an hour faster.

Going thru the small towns and stuff added to the trip, helped the mpg and made the trip easier in a vehicle designed around a 55mph national speed limit.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The mpg rating of today’s vehicles are still done at 55 mph, so it helps everyone. I know mine is better staying 60 mph or less on both of mine. The scenery is usually better as well.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I've been on two cross country "overlanding" trips with my Explorer now and I only carry a limited selection of tools, fairly specific to RBVs... and a cordless impact, spindle socket, a u-joint, and a spare lockout hub, wheel bearings, and wheel bearing hardware. Basically just what I need for minor temporary repairs, replacing a u-joint or wheel bearing, or changing a tire. I know some guys carry a lot of extra parts and tools and that's fine, it's just heavy and takes up a lot of room.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Sorry for derailing the OP's thread. But I guess these things may or should be in the tech section as a tool list checklist what to bring when on long road trips. I am not a mechanic, but I'm sure a wheel bearing, or stuff like that certainly would be doable with tools and parts on hand. So I see the need for a basic tool list with special tools that are needed or make the repairs easier type thing. I don't mind doing repairs, but when you are on the side of the road or in a parking lot its nice to know before hand what tools are most often needed other than screwdrivers, sockets, wrenches, or maybe the socket and wrench sizes to carry rather than packing a whole tool chest around LOL.

I occasionally drive about 30 miles from home to Boise, ID and part of that drive is 65mph the Bronco 2 don't seem to mind that, but I really don't think 75mph or 80mph is a great idea in one of these LOL. I don't mind backroads at all, and take them quite often to get around the more congested areas even around the towns I live near. I don't mind going out of my way to avoid the freeways...heck I84 here in southern Idaho becomes a parking lot anyhow if there's one minor accident, so the freeway isn't the best route anyhow, and I don't mind slower speeds and the scenery you miss by driving on the freeway.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Sockets and wrenches - metric 5.5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19 and 21 will disassemble the whole truck except occasionally you need a 12 point 8mm and 12mm wrench for the driveshaft bolts and a T30 torx. T50 and T55 for seat belt bolts and bed bolts.

The problem with saying "what tools do I need" is that sometimes you need a shallow, deep, deep swivel, flex gearwrench and a standard open end wrench, all in 13mm, plus a ratchet, several extensions and your wizard wand to do one job. Other times it's just personal preference, some guys do bellhousing bolts from below with a socket and some do it from above with a wrench. So different tools required. I have basics because anything more than minor repairs is going to require a shop with more tools than I'm willing to carry with me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals