• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

351w OBD2 Pennsylvania.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So im planning on picking up a 351W that a friend has from a 95 F250, like 60k miles for $350. I was thinking about doing all shorts of work and make this a real money motor. I have a chance to get a 2001 mazda B2300 2wd that has a bad 2.3L in it for like $500 its a Florida truck and it really clean. I just have no idea how to get this thing emissions inspection ready in terms of what computer. I dont think a exploder computer will be compatible with a 351w I might be mistaken I have a 98 mountaineer computer and harness lying around. I think Pennsylvania in most counties only requires no check engine light and the diagnostics system has to get plugged in and sent to the state (my county) Which can probably be faked with a good tune. Im open to ideas if this will work or if its too much of a hassle plan B is a notch back with T tops if I can find one of those lol.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You should be okay with the Explorer computer.
You'll need to swap the front balancer/pulley/tone ring to one that's compatible (DamperDudes has what you need for about $190) and put on a 28 ounce flex plate with the right number of teeth.
Oil pan's going to require you raising the motor a decent bit or making a hybrid of the Explorer pan and the 351 unit (or some combination of the two).
Cam synchronizer needs some work to go from the 5.0 to the 5.8.
Headers/exhaust may require significant creativity to fit.
I'm unclear on whether the Explorer's front cover will work correctly on the 351.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
You should be okay with the Explorer computer.
You'll need to swap the front balancer/pulley/tone ring to one that's compatible (DamperDudes has what you need for about $190) and put on a 28 ounce flex plate with the right number of teeth.
Oil pan's going to require you raising the motor a decent bit or making a hybrid of the Explorer pan and the 351 unit (or some combination of the two).
Cam synchronizer needs some work to go from the 5.0 to the 5.8.
Headers/exhaust may require significant creativity to fit.
I'm unclear on whether the Explorer's front cover will work correctly on the 351.
Good call on the Damper Dudes... that's the hardest part of building a 347 or 351 and using the Explorer ecm.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Why not go with something newer and far superior to the Ford EFI system? There are numerous bolt-on plug-n-play EFI systems on the market now and they're very affordable. Most will also make more power than the factory Ford system, and they're more simple than the Ford systems.

Fitech
Holley
MSD Atomic
Summit Racing MAX
FAST EFI
Edelbrock

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I can't speak to the OP's rationale, but my own would be to keep things as integrated as possible with the stock cluster, PATS, GEM, etc. The stock unit ECM also controls the 4R70W for me, which I'd need to solve with an aftermarket computer for a few hundred additional bucks. With an older Ranger that's not as tightly meshed together (and a manual transmission) I'd be running to Megasquirt in a heartbeat.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Why not go with something newer and far superior to the Ford EFI system? There are numerous bolt-on plug-n-play EFI systems on the market now and they're very affordable. Most will also make more power than the factory Ford system, and they're more simple than the Ford systems.

Fitech
Holley
MSD Atomic
Summit Racing MAX
FAST EFI
Edelbrock
Do any of them have an OBDII plug, he needs to pass emissions?

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well of course I would like to build something like this. But I'm not the kinda person who just wants a track car only.

decipha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
bunches
Make / Model
too many
Engine Size
take your pick
Transmission
Manual
My credo
decipha
the explorer comes stock with 302 which is the same basic engine as the 351

timing cover and all bolts right up. as mentioned the exhaust, oil pan and ac box will require some work usually. use all the explorer stuff except for the cam sensor stalk. You will need to get a v6 stalk and mate the v6 bottom half with your 302 upper half. Then just simply get it tuned.

an aftermarket ecu will not gain you any power nor make it any easier and wont pass emissions either.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
an aftermarket ecu will not gain you any power nor make it any easier and wont pass emissions either.
Defend that statement?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I think it depends on your perspective. A stock ECM will run the 351 out of the box with no changes and you will get a functional check engine light and OBD2 port.
The aftermarket unit gives you the ability to tune for all the changes to the engine but is going to require an investment in learning the system. Until you do so you won't see any extra power and may even have trouble getting it running.

It really depends on which pieces of the puzzle you consider easy and where you want to spend your time and money along the way.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
So im planning on picking up a 351W that a friend has from a 95 F250, like 60k miles for $350. I was thinking about doing all shorts of work and make this a real money motor. I have a chance to get a 2001 mazda B2300 2wd that has a bad 2.3L in it for like $500 its a Florida truck and it really clean. I just have no idea how to get this thing emissions inspection ready in terms of what computer. I dont think a exploder computer will be compatible with a 351w I might be mistaken I have a 98 mountaineer computer and harness lying around. I think Pennsylvania in most counties only requires no check engine light and the diagnostics system has to get plugged in and sent to the state (my county) Which can probably be faked with a good tune. Im open to ideas if this will work or if its too much of a hassle plan B is a notch back with T tops if I can find one of those lol.

You need to run the 2001 ex system to have the ability.to get by with emmissions.

Whether you pull it off or not has too many variables.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
*cough* eBay/Alibaba sticker *cough*

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
And these are the reasons why I posted this thread. If a built 351w will fit isnt the issue. Its the making power whilst passing emissions inspection with a functioning obd2 port and no CEL, In a vehicle that was not intended for such an engine.

Whether the state records and receives the pollution control systems data or merely determines the functionality of said equipment is beyond my knowledge base. Which the latter would make sense, considering you can remove cats and tune out a cel with a Subaru or Mitsubishi the trick is how it works with our application and the practical way to accommodate 500hp or more I never said it was staying a 351w it might be a stroker at this point. Or even a 427.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I think it depends on your perspective. A stock ECM will run the 351 out of the box with no changes and you will get a functional check engine light and OBD2 port.
The aftermarket unit gives you the ability to tune for all the changes to the engine but is going to require an investment in learning the system. Until you do so you won't see any extra power and may even have trouble getting it running.

It really depends on which pieces of the puzzle you consider easy and where you want to spend your time and money along the way.
Modern aftermarket EFI system are self-tuning for efficiency and power. There's nothing to learn either, unless you go Megasquirt or similar.

MSD has helped to get some of those enthusiasts one step closer to getting their car back on the road without worrying about that dreaded, hard-to-find replacement carburetor, which can cost upwards of $600 or more. MSD’s Atomic EFI is now CARB (California Air Resources Board) legal! This makes the Atomic EFI the only aftermarket EFI system to acquire an Executive Order number for replacement on V8 vehicles in California from 1987 and older.
The even better news is that E.O. Number D-722 permits the Atomic EFI to be installed on 1987 and older cars and trucks with V8 engines, in place of the factory carburetor, and satisfies the anti-tampering requirements of the Federal Clean Air Act – which means it can also be installed in all other states as well.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/04/12/msd-atomic-efi-fuel-injection-systems-now-california-emissions-legal/

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You're correct up to a point - my comment was mostly oriented towards the MS option.

Atomic EFI still doesn't apply to newer vehicles with OBD2 ports or handle integration with the GEM/PATS, etc. And I'd question just how accurately any of the aftermarket systems are able to self tune without carefully selecting the components in the system like the MAF, injector sizing, etc.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals