• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Definitive answer on convertible mounts.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
On my engine. I used a dorman pan. And used a canton weld in dipstick plug. Works good in my application.
I bought a pan for a '79. Your way would've been better but I suck at welding. Did you make that dipstick tube or buy it?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I personally have used the convertible mounts. And the 94-95 mustang mounts. I had to swap them side for side. And also open up the existing holes in the crossmember. But they work great for me. No issues.
does motor munts have to come from a convertible or does that matter?also was the motors from the 94=95 mounts convertible as well?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
does motor munts have to come from a convertible or does that matter?also was the motors from the 94=95 mounts convertible as well?
If your using 87-93 mustang mounts. They have to be a convertible. The fox body convertible mounts were based on the 4 cylinder chassis.

94-95 SN95 mounts are basically the same as the fox body convertible mounts. I believe they carry the same part number whether it’s coupe or convertible.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
If you're going carbed, skip the mech fuel pump and use a low pressure electric pump. One of the small one wire, 30-35 gal/hr pumps is all you need. Wire it to the ignition hot wire. And on the mounts, I used the 'vert mounts but bolted them permanently to the cross member and used 7/16NC x 2" studs (using nuts to secure the block) in the block instead of the factory bolts. Studs are easier to get lined up while dropping the engine into place on the mounts, than trying to get bolts in the hole in the block. Mount the Alternator on the driver's side. I used the 86-91 Crown Vic brackets, but these also mount the P/S pump too so you might want to see if you can eliminate the P/S pump to use them.

studs are the common around here as well.....4x4 and 2wd are different for setup overall though.

There's tons of V8 swap info on here and online but so many choices and opinions. I have an '87 2.0 Ranger that uses the same mounts as a 2.3. So do the 5.0 fox body convertible mounts work for a 4-cylinder? People have been doing these swaps for over 30 years, it should be set in stone by now what works and what doesn't.

well....been doing it literally 30 years....definitive is not an answer i would give you.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
studs are the common around here as well.....4x4 and 2wd are different for setup overall though.

well....been doing it literally 30 years....definitive is not an answer i would give you.
After getting the swap done I completely agree with you. Nothing is set in stone the way these trucks have been treated and things get tweaked around. I did some things that I'd heard I would have problems with but I didn't and some parts that should've went smooth gave me issues. I guess it really does just depend on your specific truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals