• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 2wd extended cab XLT body to 99 4x4 extended cab frame

Miller4139

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 98 with a 3.0 and auto trans that the engine is seized. I found a 99 that has been rolled I'm curious how hard a body swap would be to do. Not sure which engine is in the 99. Hoping to get more news about it tonight or tomorrow. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The '99 drive train better be mint; better still 4wd & '98 cab similarly mint/sentimental as you are looking at ton of work.

Swapping the box isn't too bad; 6 bolts to frame, 3 bolts for the fuel filler, electrical connection for the lights and 2 strong individuals can lift it off.

Swapping cabs is more challenging. Start with removing the rolled cab, but don't throw it away.

Similarly, there are 6 bolts to frame, add a cable for cab to cross member which needs to be removed. You need to disconnect throttle cable, brakes i.e. master cylinder from booster, the 3 wiring connectors, steering column and transmission (manual is more complicated than auto. I think there is also a wiring harness to transmission that needs disconnecting. You may wish to remove some "delicate" items like rad, ac condenser, hood, grill, seats, etc. Don't remove doors - you want them closed to improve integrity when you lift. Cab is ~500lbs. There are probably couple more connections I missed, that you find as cab goes up. I did initial lift with floor jacks/engine crane, while I was confirming all connections had been disconnected; then a loader & engine crane for the final lift - wide strap through open windows/blanket on door frame to further distribute load. Loader took weight, engine crane at front ensures straight up lift.

Repeat for the '98 truck.

'99 has next generation PATS so it is easiest to replace the dash to get all required wiring anyways. Get keys and move ignition/door tumblers. I don't know how much of under hood wiring is identical (knowing Ford, not much).

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It is a lot of work, but I think Don is overstating it a bit.

6 guys can lift a cab with the seats and dash stripped pretty easily.

The easiest way to do this is to remove donor bed, remove donor cab to the rear, install donor cab from the rear, install donor bed.

I did this with some friends a few years ago and what we found was that we couldn't lift the whole cab high enough to clear the engine and come in from the front, but it wasn't hard to get the front of the cab up high enough and bring it in from the rear.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
500lbs / 6 guys is ~80lbs each, not an unreasonable amount for each individual. Box is probably 250lbs, and my son and I have loaded box on top of the existing box to transport with just 2 of us. :cool: But when you have tractor with loader & engine crane, why strain your back? If I didn't have loader, I would have rented a gantry crane - the $200 to make it almost effortless to lift versus someone getting hurt is now worth it to me - I have learned something over the years.

I would sooner be slightly pessimistic on effort, have it turn out easier and be completed, than optimistic and project not result in running truck.
I don't think I missed any significant steps. (I, of course, took opportunity with box and cab off to clean/paint frame).​

Replacing blown engine in the '98 with running 3.0 is lot less work; just saying.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals