• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Interior door handle problem and oil guage needle issue.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
First issue, the driver's interior door handle. When I went to shut my door, the interior door handle came off in my hand. The metal tore away. I'm a short old fat man with crazy he-man strength. Any ideas on how to repair this? I am looking for a new handle, screws, and clips as well if anyone reading this has these and willing to part with them cheap.

Second issue, oil gauge needle dropped below stop pin. I had to have my truck pulled home on a rollback. Between getting the truck on the rollback and to my house, the oil gauge needle dropped below the stop pin. The gauge still works. The needle stills swings up and it hits the bottom of the pin. Is this simply a mater of cracking open the cluster, pulling the needle off, and resetting it?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Problem 1) That is a problem. I usually stick my fingers down next to the window and pull the door closed by the shell to prevent exactly that.

I don't have any of those panels, but I might get a chance to hit up a yard with a few 3rd+ gen trucks, I'll keep an eye out.

Problem 2) Yes, pretty much. You just need to make sure the cluster is plugged in and the key on when you set the needle, otherwise it won't be in the right spot.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Problem 1) That is a problem. I usually stick my fingers down next to the window and pull the door closed by the shell to prevent exactly that.

I don't have any of those panels, but I might get a chance to hit up a yard with a few 3rd+ gen trucks, I'll keep an eye out.

Problem 2) Yes, pretty much. You just need to make sure the cluster is plugged in and the key on when you set the needle, otherwise it won't be in the right spot.

Thanks.

I didn't know those handles were prone to pulling out. I just lie to myself and think I have some super human strength. :icon_rofl:

I found a few of those door handles for around $18 shipped on ebay. I would give $25 for one with clips and screws, if you can get one cheap enough. My truck is an 01. I don't know what years will work.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Automatic
First issue, the driver's interior door handle. When I went to shut my door, the interior door handle came off in my hand. The metal tore away. I'm a short old fat man with crazy he-man strength. Any ideas on how to repair this? I am looking for a new handle, screws, and clips as well if anyone reading this has these and willing to part with them cheap.

Second issue, oil gauge needle dropped below stop pin. I had to have my truck pulled home on a rollback. Between getting the truck on the rollback and to my house, the oil gauge needle dropped below the stop pin. The gauge still works. The needle stills swings up and it hits the bottom of the pin. Is this simply a mater of cracking open the cluster, pulling the needle off, and resetting it?

This is a very late response. Sorry for that but I just joined. The pivoting end of the needle is magnetic; if you get a small pack of neodymium magnets at your hardware store you can flip it up and over so it’ll rest on top of the pin again. Takes about 10 seconds. This kind of magnets, use the whole stack: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/hand-tools/magnets/2102267

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.

GT350HR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Nothing but Fords
Ben,
The clips (inserts) snap into the square hole . I would hit a junk yard in your area ( if possible) and pull the two screws that hold the door pull on. The rest are snap ins and you cal pull the black portion off . To remove the insert, use a flat screw driver ( from the side) into the center of the insert and twist "up" causing the insert to snap out. When putting the insert into your door , put the top in first then snap the bottom in. Snap on the mini panel and put in the two screws under the handle and you are good to go . I am guessing you panel won't hold the screws without resorting to a metal washer under the screw head. I DID get a few extra inserts and if one will get you by , just let me know and I'll mail it to you.
Randy

GT350HR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Nothing but Fords
Ben ,
I did some more thinking on this and you might look to Home Depot , Lowe's , Ace etc for a "toggle bolt" or one used to hang something heavy on drywall. They are spring loaded and go thriugh a small hole to spread out and not pull through.
Randy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals