• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ford Ranger 4x4 4.0 V6 --> V8 (Need suggestions and help)

What V8?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mitchellp18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 looking to be 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
265/75r16
I was looking to swap the engine in my 99 ranger as it is really bogging down on power ever since I had put on 265 tires on it. Im looking to put a v8 in it but im not sure which is the best for power/bang for buck. I've heard good things about swapping the 5.0 v8's that were in the ford explorers but still need help on figuring out if i would need a new trans, what conversion kit to get, and if it would even be worth it, ect. Any help is very much appreciated!

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Explorer 5.0 it has the gt40 heads and better intake the mustang guys want without buying eldebrock plus you gonna need to change wires around computer patts etc. Lots of resources on here. Unfortunately there really isn't a straight forward step 1 through step 1076 walk through since everyone's swap will be different in terms of what you want from the ranger

Last edited:

Mitchellp18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 looking to be 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
265/75r16
Explorer 5.0 it has the gt40 heads and better intake the mustang guys want without buying eldebrock plus you gonna need to change wires around computer patts etc. Lots of resources on here. Unfortunately there really isn't a straight forward step 1 through step 1076 walk through since everyone's swap will be different in terms of what you want from the ranger
Yeah ive seen a few documents and videos on it and it seems like you need a ton of different parts but once its there its mainly plug and play with the exception of a few things. If i were to do it i think i would just have to buy a wrecked explorer thats got a decent engine. Im really just looking for something thats got more power bc the hp on mine now that its got the bigger tires is around 120 and its really slow and gets 10mpg. My dilemma is trying to find something good that isnt a ton of money.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Why not change your gears?

Mitchellp18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 looking to be 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
265/75r16

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!
Im not really familiar with that. How does that work?
Basically it's changing the gear ratio in your front and rear differential to better match the size tires you're running. Makes it easier for your engine to turn bigger tires. You may lose a little fuel economy, but you'll gain drivability, in your case, you might get some fuel economy back.

Instead of spending many thousands on an engine swap, you could probably get away with $1500 or less from a reputable shop for installation, the gear sets themselves can be had for just a couple hundred bucks a piece. This also provides an opportunity to install lockers front and rear if you choose (which would really help off road).

Good article here: https://therangerstation.com/how-to_pages/gear_ratio_tire_size_chart.shtml

Also lots of good articles in the "how to tech" section (link at top of page), check it out!

Last edited:

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Honestly that is probably the best thing you can do for now until you gather all the parts for a swap

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals