• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

jimmyspy's 02 4x4

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Hey jimmy...

Looking over your spare tire carrier... I'm about to order some parts for mine. It kinda looks like the kit offered by emsoffroad?

I do have a couple questions... well maybe 4... lol

Did you support the bottom of the spindle down inside the bumper or just weld it to the top plate on the bumper?

On the opposite side of the spindle it looks like you have the urethane ramp/stop... did you just weld a tab on top of the bumper to bolt it to?

Care to post a picture of how you did your latch and the urethane ramp?

I thought I could see a piece of tube welded on the bumper that would create a stop to prevent the carrier from swinging to far open... but you posted a picture where the tire appears to be up against the body panel? Did you do an open stop? Or does it just open until it contacts the body?

Thanks in advance...

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well I'll be...

Brian... nice job and thanks for sharing that. Kinda answered all my questions... in a 4 minute video. Looks like it works pretty damn smooth.

Jimmyspy14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey jimmy...

Looking over your spare tire carrier... I'm about to order some parts for mine. It kinda looks like the kit offered by emsoffroad?

I do have a couple questions... well maybe 4... lol

Did you support the bottom of the spindle down inside the bumper or just weld it to the top plate on the bumper?

On the opposite side of the spindle it looks like you have the urethane ramp/stop... did you just weld a tab on top of the bumper to bolt it to?

Care to post a picture of how you did your latch and the urethane ramp?

I thought I could see a piece of tube welded on the bumper that would create a stop to prevent the carrier from swinging to far open... but you posted a picture where the tire appears to be up against the body panel? Did you do an open stop? Or does it just open until it contacts the body?

Thanks in advance...

I actually used the kit from EMS for my spindle and latch set-up.

Brian’s video pretty much sums it up (you’re getting pretty good with those Brian! Haha), but here’s my short answers anyway:

1. Yes. The spindle goes through the top plate of the bumper and into the 2x6 tube that makes up the body of the bumper. Right where the spindle is, the bumper transitions from “fully boxed” to “C channel”, and the spindle is welded along its full length.

2. Sort of. I used the stop block thing that come with the EMS kit. I used some scrap 3/16 plate to make a backstop for it along the inside edge of the bumpers top plate. The catch for the destaco clamp is also mounted to the “backstop”

3. I don’t have any great photos on my phone of the latch setup. I’ll grab some this weekend.

4. The tube is for the spring loaded locking pin that EMS sells. I had intended on installing that on the spindle sleeve and drilling holes in the bumper for the pin to fall into so that it would hold the gate open. I was in a rush to get other things wrapped up for a wheeling trip at the time and never finished installing it. But, I’ve found that the action is stiff enough to hold the gate open in most situations, so it fell to the bottom of my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmyspy14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd love for you to build me one of those rear bumpers & tire swings for my '03 Fleetside Ranger!

By the way, I have the same front bumper, but with the bull bar/light mount and it's quite an impressive bumper :)

Can you still buy the front coilover parts to get rid of the torsion springs?

I’m not sure this fabricator or his driveway workshop is up for another bumper build just yet. Lol. Glad to hear people like it though!

I’m incredibly happy with the front bumper. Fit and finish is top notch.

I believe so. The coilovers are standard Fox parts (other manufacturers make shocks with similar measurements as well if you prefer another brand) and the brackets are still being made in small batches by a forum member (as far as I know). They really do make a world of difference compared to the torsion bars!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If / when you're ready to start producing the bumper and carrier setups down the road, I'd love to talk to you about one as well.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Jimmy... I know all about the final detail not getting done. When I installed my a pillar pod... the screws came with finishing caps... I thought... I'll get to those. Six months later... I have no idea where they went.

I think I'll go with the same kit... looks like some good results. I had thought about using a spring loaded pin opposed to the latch... but the rattle factor says go with the latch.

Jimmyspy14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Jimmy... I know all about the final detail not getting done. When I installed my a pillar pod... the screws came with finishing caps... I thought... I'll get to those. Six months later... I have no idea where they went.

I think I'll go with the same kit... looks like some good results. I had thought about using a spring loaded pin opposed to the latch... but the rattle factor says go with the latch.

My truck has more of those “missing details” than I care to admit. Lol.

It’s a solid kit. A little pricey, but it’s got just about everything you need and the quality is top notch.

Here’s the pictures of my setup. Very similar to Brian’s (only not as clean. Haha). The Ohio winter has already taken its toll, unfortunately.

Stop block:

Destaco clamp

Missing lock pin

Might not be the best picture (excuse the rust, salt, and mud), but here is how the spindle is braced underneath. It’s welded on the right side to the end of the inner wall of the 2x6 tube and braced on the left side with a piece of strap.

Latch in use.

Jimmyspy14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If / when you're ready to start producing the bumper and carrier setups down the road, I'd love to talk to you about one as well.

Wow, sounds like I’d have a couple customers here. Haha.

Nice to hear other people like the bumper as much as I do.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Thanks jimmy...

I thought I seen the latch mounted two different ways in you previous pictures. Now I see that there was a plan A and a plan B. It appears plan B won. I kinda like how you eliminated the catch with the notched flat steel... and I kinda like how Brian ran the latch in-line with the swing arm. I'll probably mock it up with your style catch and Brian's latch position and see what I have.

Both you guys... thanks for the how too's.

Now jimmy... find the rest of the spring pin and drill yourself a hole before ya lose the damn thing...

Jimmyspy14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks jimmy...

I thought I seen the latch mounted two different ways in you previous pictures. Now I see that there was a plan A and a plan B. It appears plan B won. I kinda like how you eliminated the catch with the notched flat steel... and I kinda like how Brian ran the latch in-line with the swing arm. I'll probably mock it up with your style catch and Brian's latch position and see what I have.

Both you guys... thanks for the how too's.

Now jimmy... find the rest of the spring pin and drill yourself a hole before ya lose the damn thing...

Yeaaaa, plan A would’ve required a 180 degree pull destaco clamp, and the kit came with a 90 degree pull (don’t know what I was thinking when I mocked it up). I’m really happy with the way plan B came out though. The catch for the clamp is actually a piece of angle iron, with one leg tucked behind the stop block (uses the fewer fasteners). I’ve had zero rattle/movement issues so far.

No problem!

About the whole “before I lose it” thing.... I’m sure it’s in the garage somewhere... lol.

Jimmyspy14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welp, went and started another project. Finally got tired of knocking dents out of the rocker panels (plus they're getting pretty rusty and are starting to not like all the bending
:(
), and decided to make a set of rock sliders. I actually came to this conclusion and bought most of the steel last fall, but didn't actually start them until last weekend...

I kinda copied the rocky road super sliders (if they weren't so pricey I would've just bought those ). The main runners and the outriggers are 2"x2"x1/4" wall tube, the frame mounts are 1/4" plate, and the shin biters (for lack of a better term) are 1.5"X 1/8 wall DOM. Mine may be a little beffy-er (I know damn well they're heavier... haha).

Started by cutting the runners to length. I recently picked up a horizontal band saw from Harbor Freight and it has been incredibly useful on this project.

Then I cut the the DOM. Since I don't have a tube bender I just mitered the ends (with my fancy new band saw). Working out the angles was a little rough, but we made it haha

Test fitting (ignore my fancy jack stand)

Not directly slider related, but I also made a cart for the band saw. The one that it came with was pretty flimsy and didn't have casters.

Back to rock slider things. Working out the frame plates and outriggers.

Tacking things together

Added a tab to the bottom of the frame plates to catch the bottom of the frame rail.

Passenger side assembled

More test fitting

My "notching" set up for the brace bars between the main runners and the shin bitter things

Brace bars in and fully welded.

Annnnnnd that's where I'm at. The passenger side is just about done other than a few gussets, drivers side is still just tacked together.

To be continued.....

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice looking welds.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Any idea what they weigh? Those look really healthy!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals