• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil change Process

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
bobby thanks for taking the time to put the thought and effort into your posts. I wish I had the will power to type that much more often. Keep on brother. You always have good info to post.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this.

one step forward....10 steps back.:D

this is a small crime, simply is minor compared to the modification they did to the older style ranger/explorer to fit the cammer 4.0 and pushrod 5.0....

the redesign of the hvac was criminal....treason level. went from the easiest cake walk of a heater core change possible...maybe 15 minutes if you just happened to be too drunk to see at that moment

to like 8 hours by the book....:annoyed::annoyed:
Yeah, really as far as screw ups go this is pretty minor. Most of their tire rotations about inline with oil change intervals which nullifies a lot of it.

assuming the pictures here that 85 managed to save (seems i lost all of mine) are close what actually made it to final production...
Someone mentioned it was because the oil filter stuck straight out from the engine and it got me to thinking... what did they show us at Detroit?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
So I guess the Ranger 2.3 does not have port injection ? Sucks.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The first picture seems to indicate that the oil pan has front and rear sumps too...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Nope. One will have to decide if they want to keep their valves cleaner using a catch can and voiding their warranty or keep the system stock and deal with the coked valve issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Yeah, really as far as screw ups go this is pretty minor. Most of their tire rotations about inline with oil change intervals which nullifies a lot of it.

Someone mentioned it was because the oil filter stuck straight out from the engine and it got me to thinking... what did they show us at Detroit?

they didnt show us....

periodically...when after i was measuring and taking pictures and noting what i was gawking at up stairs..i would go bug those guys with questions....pretty sure we were together when i was wondering about the egr cooler and oil coolers....

and wondered if that stroke of genius could...by some 1 in a trillion gravitational anomoly of course, or alien probing or something......might just possibly cause mass deposits on the valves and murder pistons before 100k let alone 200k..

and uh....then they went on about the packaging of the 4x4 changed the cooler designs ect a few times...and the oil system from pump to cooler was different then the r/s but the cooling path was the same...so its not the mustang or the r/s engine...it is its own deal...and some other fluffy stuff..

then i asked about 3.2 diesel.......not to change it anymore...they said, it wont ever happen, so dont worry...

...and when i mentioned how ghey the f150 3.0 diesel v6 was, as it is cursed with 10 miles of timing belt they just glazed over like "we are off the clock now or something".... and further mentioned that someone must have accidentally placed the high pressure pump at the back of the poor thing like it was for a front wheel drive or something..and that it was also on.....a belt...that... if they could just keep stupid shit like that away from the rangers...it would be greatly appreciated. (and i mean that seriously)...they got pissed off for sure...

then i went and drove the demon simulator because i was getting hateful...i think you guys went on the mcqueen simulator...

to be fair, they did answer a shitload of hard questions like that....long couple days...

but, eventually i will probably have one of these...and mine will get a catch can and every day oil check...because these ideas are not all good...but in the mix of all the brands...better then most. relocating the filter and re-tuning(((EGR DELETE MOTH_FOCKLES ))) will just be par for the course.(beware white text)

if it dont....pretty sure it will....and we know why.

The first picture seems to indicate that the oil pan has front and rear sumps too...

the oil pump was different...dont remember exactly what the deal was but all of it is unique to this casting...or at that time it was...hell its been almost a year.

after driving the diesel colorados i cant wait to drive one of these with 40-50 k on it to see where it goes.

as long as it sounds better then my daughters 2.7 in the morning they should be fine.

on edit.....this story is 100 percent based on real life events...

but at best is paraphrased and only as accurate as my bullshit perspective of the world...

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobby thanks for taking the time to put the thought and effort into your posts. I wish I had the will power to type that much more often. Keep on brother. You always have good info to post.
well thanks...unless its sarcasm...and even then thanks....

we must have been separated at birth...your probably the only person that understands more then half of my babbling.:D

brevity....i suk at it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they didnt show us....
I was referring to the oil filter orientation. When I read that the oil filter was different than other 2.3's I got to wondering if what the "Ranger" engine on the stand was like that or not and was grateful I snapped a couple pics of the RS engine too.

then i went and drove the demon simulator because i was getting hateful...i think you guys went on the mcqueen simulator...
97 and I did that the night of the unveil. You guys were posing for Motortrend on the stage when we were Ranger Simulator and Bullitt photoshoot thing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Coking of the intake valves from DI only and the 'catch can' fix is all internet fueled rumour mongering. Unless you have a photo of a DI only ecoboost engine you have owned and took it apart yourself and found that the intake valves were coked and nasty from not getting washed off with port injection and you then added a 'crankcase gas condensating bottle' and then tore the heads off again and found pristine intake valves. Also, please don't be argumentative because I will not reply back to that. Thanks.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Coking of the intake valves from DI only and the 'catch can' fix is all internet fueled rumour mongering. Unless you have a photo of a DI only ecoboost engine you have owned and took it apart yourself and found that the intake valves were coked and nasty from not getting washed off with port injection and you then added a 'crankcase gas condensating bottle' and then tore the heads off again and found pristine intake valves. Also, please don't be argumentative because I will not reply back to that. Thanks.
This is from a Ford Technician on the issue and the catch can in his own vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0irwbwpuEbQ&ytbChannel=null

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ynGWxzJHjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK2eXdaydqI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6h_FOzFMcs&ytbChannel=null

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Back on topic....

I read that the oil change interval coincides with the tire rotation interval. Sounds like a non-issue to me.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Coking is a thing, I don’t think it is an overly common problem though.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Back on topic....

I read that the oil change interval coincides with the tire rotation interval. Sounds like a non-issue to me.

If I remember correctly, I believe you are correct. I forget if there was a mileage because there is an oil life sensor but I do seem to remember (perhaps misremember) there is a once a year limitation as well. So, either that certain mileage/when the change oil notification comes on or once a year. Whichever comes first. I’ll have to dig into the stuff I have saved to verify and try to remember to correct or update this.

Edit: Per the owner's manual:

When the oil change message appears in the information display, it is time for an oil change. Make sure you perform the oil change within two weeks or 500 mi (800 km) of the message appearing. Make
sure you reset the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor after each oil change. See Oil Change Indicator Reset (page 248). If your information display resets prematurely or becomes inoperative, you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5,000 mi (8,000 km) from your last oil change. Never exceed one year or 10,000 mi (16,000 km) between oil change intervals.
Normal Maintenance Intervals
At Every Oil Change Interval as Indicated by the Information Display1
Change engine oil and filter.
Rotate tires, inspect tire wear and measure tread depth.
Perform a multi-point inspection, recommended.
Inspect the automatic transmission fluid level (if equipped with dipstick). Consult your dealer for requirements.
Inspect the brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake linings, hoses and parking brake.
Inspect the engine cooling system strength and hoses.
Inspect the exhaust system and heat shields.
Inspect front axle and U-joints. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings. Four–wheel drive vehicles.
Inspect the half-shaft boots.
Inspect the steering linkage, ball joints, suspension, tire-rod ends, driveshaft and U-joints. Lubricate any areas with grease fittings.
Inspect the wheels and related components for abnormal noise, wear, looseness or drag.
Fuel and water separator. Drain if necessary or if indicated by the information display.
Inspect the air filter restriction gauge. Replace the filter if necessary.
Do not exceed one year or 10,000 mi (16,000 km) between service intervals.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Coking is a thing, I don’t think it is an overly common problem though.

Some of the links I posted are four years old, so Ford may have come up with a fix or something to minimize the issue. The youtuber did say it isn’t as big of a problem as it was when direct injection first came out.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some of the links I posted are four years old, so Ford may have come up with a fix or something to minimize the issue. The youtuber did say it isn’t as big of a problem as it was when direct injection first came out.

If you go by off what you see online you would think it would happen like clockwork. I do not think that is anywhere close to being the case.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals