• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spark Plugs

rponycar

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My mileage is down to about 20 on the highway, and I've got rough idle on my 97 B2300. Air cleaner is new. I'm thinking it's time for a new set of plugs. At first glance I can find about 5 of them with out removing stuff. Is this a job that would make sense to have done? Should I check something easier first?
r

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My mileage is down to about 20 on the highway, and I've got rough idle on my 97 B2300. Air cleaner is new. I'm thinking it's time for a new set of plugs. At first glance I can find about 5 of them with out removing stuff. Is this a job that would make sense to have done? Should I check something easier first?
r
It doesn't hurt to swap your plugs. The platinum ones are supposed to last 100 000 km or so, but I change mine every two years.

Normally, I take the entire upper intake system off in order to make accessing the driver's side plugs easier. While I've got everything apart, I clean out the EGR and PCV. It takes about two hours for me to do this from start to finish.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
In theory you can change all 8 plugs without taking anything apart. But, here in the real world, it's usually far faster and certainly MUCH easier, to remove the upper intake/TB as an assembly and set them to the side.

rponycar

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Taking the TB off sounds a little involved. Any advice before I procede?

r :icon_confused:

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
It's straight forward once you start. The hardest thing to get to is the EGR on the back of the intake. Just take your time and you will be fine. You'll need a couple extensions and a swivel socket to get to some of the intake bolts, but it's nothing bad at all.

James

ozzy85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
225/75/15
My credo
Yeah... still here.
I changed the plugs on my '89 Ranger a couple of months ago without removing the intake... it took about 2 hours, most of it on the back two on the drivers side. Lots of patience and a couple of cuss words.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Taking the TB off sounds a little involved. Any advice before I procede?
No need to remove the TB, just leave it attached to the upper intake and remove them as whole.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've never pulled the upper intake to change plugs on these. I have however found engines melted down because of the upper intake gasket failure. It wouldn't hurt to buy a new gasket and change it while you are at it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals