• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L V6 Used - PRICE???

dirtjockey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
What would I expect to pay for a 4.0 v6 carbureted for my 85 BII? Since my rear main started leaking, I've been considering swapping the engine out versus fixing the old one and putting it back together.

I've seen a few on Craiglist, but don't want to trade in my issues for more. i.e. 4.0 V6 FI is up for $200 in an Explorer. Got to come get it out, but for $200 it would be worth it if it were in good shape.

So two questions actually... How do you know the 4.0 is "in good shape"? And if you find one, how much would I anticipate paying for it?

appreciated...

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
A good 4.0 OHV has awesome torque right off idle, and falls flat on it's face power-wise above 4k rpm. Mine has a tick that comes and goes as it warms up, and goes away completely when warm. It also idles nice and smooth. They sell for a couple hundred usually, $200 isn't a bad price, especially if you can hear it run first. There is no such thing as a carb conversion, the ignition is coilpack and computer controlled so it requires the computer. You might be able to program a megasquirt computer to run just the ignition, and run a carb. There is an intake for carb applications available, though I'm not sure why. http://www.moranav6racing.com/category.html?CategoryID=32

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
i have found a complete 94 sploder on craigslist for 500. which would give an engine, front and rear drive train and a few other goodies that would make a great rig for swapping parts to my 87.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have found a complete 94 sploder on craigslist for 500. which would give an engine, front and rear drive train and a few other goodies that would make a great rig for swapping parts to my 87.
This is the way to go, that way you have everything, including the dash. Makes the swap a lot easier having the donor vehicle, rather than piecing stuff together.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Don't think it's a question if it's worth it overall - but would it be worth it to you? If it doesn't come with the stuff you need, like the computer, wiring, trans and whatever else you'd need, better off looking for the deal that has all of this. You will spend more trying to aquire those parts in the long run. But $200 for a good motor ain't bad at all, but if it's missing a bunch of what you need, it's not very useful. It'd be good for someone that needed a direct replacement.

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
:( I couldn't sell my entire 92 'sploder minus tranny and t-case for 200 bucks.

Still have it...but I think I'm holding onto it now.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
There are no carbureted 4.0s. If you want to do a 4.0 swap into your Bronco then buy a running parts truck.

FYI - I would have a hard time buying an engine for more than $100 or so that I couldn't hear run first or didn't at least have compression and oil pressure readings taken and written down. It is just luck of the draw if you get an honest person after that.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would have a hard time paying more than 100 for a used engine period. I'd be using it as a rebuild or a core on a reman anyway.

welderdude74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Explorer
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
4.0L V6 Used - PRICE

$200 isnt a bad price if you can hear it run and you get all wiring and computer with it, but if not not worth it. I just bought a 94 EB package Explorer 4x4 for $300 running it had had a tree fall on it. it had a brand new auto tranny,lsd rear end good doors front clip and bunch of other goodys. around here they come cheap and run I am looking at another 92 that runs great with under 130k but bat auto for $350 but its rust free

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Too bad you're in Ohio. I have a '94 Exp Sport 4.0 / 5 sp / 4x4 that ran until my daughter totalled it on an icy highway. The AC is still intact. I was going to use it and my '90 BII to build up my '84 BII that I picked up in Tenn. (rust free) I'm now using the front end out of the Exp in my '96 Ranger. The Exp had just had a new clutch /pp /bearing put in it by the Ford dealer ($350). I'd make you a great deal on the both of them if you had a trailer.

dirtjockey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
It sounds like a good deal. I'm a bit hesitant to do the 4.0 swap into my 85 because of going from a carb to FI. Is there a good write up on that?

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
I know there's a write up on that. Basically you have to pull the fuel system from the 2.9 FI engine, the drive train and electrical from the Exp and I was going to pull the dash from the BII or Exp (more likely the Exp) to go with the '84. It's a project, but I prefer the original BII body to the later ones. You do have one advantage in the '85, which is the radiator and mount. The '84 was specific to that model.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals