• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bII cant stay charged

truckguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
im finally getting around to having my 86 bii road ready. the battery is new and the alternator is ok too but after charging and starting and letting it run for awhile it wont start after i shut it off and i have to charge it again. i have no idea what to look for any help is appreciated. thanks

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
I know it sounds stupid, but when you close the doors, do the cab lights go off? My tailgate would close and latch only halfway, kinda unnoticable, and leave both lights on. You really wont notice it unless your looking for it, or its dark out. What kind of battery is it? When my battery was bad, (I mean it was dead) my battery gauge needle vibrated back and forth. You could also load test the battery just to make sure its okay, new parts can always be bad.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Put a test load on your battery. New does NOT mean good. Take it to AutoZone or somewhere and let then check both battery n alternator. And check for any drains.. If you have a gauge that can see how many amps are being pulled from your battery even when "nothing" is on.

truckguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
its a walmart battery. the lights turn off when i close the door. when i hook the charger to the batter its pulling about 5 amps.

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
I had a walmart battery, came with the bronco when I bought it. It had the knock out stickers, it was one year old, Everstart MAXX. So not even two years later truck wont start, not even click, let alone turn over. Battery read 13.5 volts. Couldn't jump it with the charger, replaced the starter under warranty, nothin. Ended up being the battery (still had 6 months of the 3 year warranty!) The guy at walmart (10:00 on a wednesday now) swapped it out with no receipt cuz it had the sticker. The new one I got didnt have the knockout stickers, no date at all, you must save the receipt. My point is wal mart batteries are chitty.

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
Oh yeah for the test, turn on the head lights and maybe the blower motor, and read the voltage, and your voltage should correspond with this table. If you dont have amperage, you dont have start.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You got a power drain some where. Probably a short some where.

truckguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
thats what my stepdad told me he thinks its a short. is there an easy way to finding it or am i gonna have to take it to a mechanic

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got a voltmeter? Many "alternator" problems are a bad cable.
What is the voltage at the red battery terminal with the engine running? Should be at least 13.5v.

Do the same voltage test at the large alternator post and the solenoid. Check your grounds.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/chargingsystem.htm
http://www.misterfixit.com/baddiode.htm
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/chargetroubleshooting.htm

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/diagram_charging_1983to1985_1.JPG

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
volt meter and wire diagram. check to see what has power when it shouldnt. check your grounds. Also look for crimped wires or corroded wire or connections.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, you don't have a "short". Short circuits blow fuses. Parasitic draws kill batteries over night. You either have no charging, or a parasitic draw.

Make sure you are getting a charge, at least 13.5V and not more than 14.5V as read across the battery terminals with the engine at idle.

If that checks out hook an amp meter to the positive cable and then unhook the cable from the battery (I know, a bit of a trick) if it reads more than .002 amps, start pulling fuses until the number drops off to .002 or less.

truckguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
i think i fixed the problem. my starter relay was getting power all the time so i replaced it with a new one and it started a whole lot better and now is not draining the battery.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals