• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Main Seal?

dirtjockey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Okay, so I noticed a leak from my BII. After coming back from a soccer game, I went out again and sure enough... drip, drip, drip...

I looked under the engine and I've got oil coming from the front of the tranny / dust cover and oil along the back of the oil pan. None on the sides or the front. There's a good amount of oil on the cross member under the tranny and some a bit lower on the bell housing. A quick glance on the top of the engine where it meets the tranny, and I see nothing.

Here are some pics. You can see no oil on the sides of the pan, but definitely around the back. I can't imagine it being anything other than a rear main, but I'm hoping someone here can tell me otherwise. Thoughts?

Attachments

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
unless there's a threaded plug on the back of the engine that's leaking...but that's only a hopeful guess on my part......

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
:annoyed:
im dealing with the same thing. im thinking of replacing the main seal with a 4.0

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Probably is the rear main. I hate stuff like that. I would be tempted to just pull the engine and change every seal. Leaks suck.

dirtjockey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
other than a nasty stain, is there a hurry to do it? Meaning, can't I just keep an eye on the oil level for the time being? Granted, it's a messy pain in the keyster, but the alternative of swapping out a 4.0 isn't financially feasible. Neither is me finding the time right now in my day / weekend to do the swap.

Anyone done this recently? About how long for a weekend warrior to do it if I were to tackle it myself?

Anyone had this quoted at a shop? Yeah, $15 is the cost of the gasket, but my time is at a premium right now. Don't know if I can afford to NOT take it to a shop.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Just keep an eye on your oil level. Yes, you can do it in a weekend, I think I could probably do it in my driveway in less than a day but I have done lots of them. The hardest part is that you have to pull the transmission. For a shop to do it would probably cost at least several hundred dollars.

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if the leak isnt pouring oil out the back theres an additive made by bar's leaks called rear main seal repair. i used it in my bronco 2 and it cut back on the leaking a lot. with a second treatment of it i think it will probably seal up on mine

dirtjockey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
I've heard mixed reviews on Bar's Seal products. Some folks swear by it and others say it makes things worse. Any experience? The last thing I need are bigger issues.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Can't make it worse, although I don't see how it could make it any better. The rear main is a rubber seal, when it's worn out you just replace it...can't add more material to make it seal better.

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
Just keep an eye on your oil level. Yes, you can do it in a weekend, I think I could probably do it in my driveway in less than a day but I have done lots of them. The hardest part is that you have to pull the transmission. For a shop to do it would probably cost at least several hundred dollars.
I was quoted 700.00 for the job.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm one of the guys that never uses oil additives that "fix leaks". I've seen stuff block oil filters.. Cause damage else where. Same with the coolant system additive that does more harm then help. One person can change that in a Saturday. Question is how many other gaskets leak or need addressed? Now is the time for a $100 full gasket set if you need it. With the right tools that can be done in a Saturday to. I did jerrys in 10 hours pulling motor completely out replacing every gasket. That time includes drink breaks and lunch break. Now on mine I took a week bc I resurfaced everything flat, relapped the valves, yada yada. Lol. But it's a job you should handle in a weekend tops.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I was quoted 700.00 for the job.
I believe it. Somebody has to make a living somehow but it is really getting hard to pay for having another person do repairs. Glad I can do stuff on my own.

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
what it boils down to is what you use the truck for and how long your keeping it. if its a dd thats staying that way then fix the seal. if its getting replaced with a 4.0 bars leaks is a quik band aid that worked for me until i find a 4.0 at the right price. all i use those additives for are band aids on stuff getting replaced later when time/money permits

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals