• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

anybody know about bows?

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
anybody know about bows? i picked up an oregon valiant crusader a few days ago and cant find any info online. i was told that they were around 500 new and were top of the line in their day. i got it at a sporting goods store used for 20. its a 70pound pull i think its 46 inches in length and it shoots straight as an arrow (pun intended)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, I've never heard of that particular bow, but for $20, can't go too far wrong.

Just as long as it gives good penetration and accuracy so that you are actually getting kills. Set up with an optic sight and you should be fine.

70# draw is good tho.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Never heard of that particular model, about how old is it?

What are your plans? Hunting or target?

I have a PSE Baby-G-Force that I picked up used a couple years ago. Copper John 3 pin fiber optic sight and a cheap Wal-Mart Allen drop away rest (that works awesome) with a metal D ring and a Cobra release.

For hunting the three pin sight is fine, for 3D shoots I found myself guessing and by goshing (and searching) on longer shots. That is probably the only thing I want to change at this point.

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
i have never bow hunted but i might give it a shot. i use to hunt often but i cant currently own fire arms so i figured i needed something to play with and so far im a pretty good shot. as far as the age of the bow im not sure because there is no date on it. it is factory camo with the oregon logo in gold leaf and the hand grip is laminated if that helps tell the age

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If ATA is 46 inches, its probably a fairly old bow. (I'm thinkin 80's or 90's). With a bow that old, give it a good look over. Look at the limbs, especially around the bolts to ensure that there are no cracks. Check both the strings and servings for wear. If its a little fuzzy, give it a good wax. If you have a broken strand I would replace that string or cable immediately. Trust me, a bow blowing up in your face ruins your day. You can double check your nock point too. Basically, the arrow should sit on your rest and cover the hole the rest mounts too, and be perpindicular to the string (90 degrees). Those are the basics, practice lots and have fun!

I am an archery tech FYI

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bought my stepson a Compound at a pawn shop,cant recall the brand,4 weeks ago and he downed a button buck last saturday.
Kid can shoot the hell out of it and has never shot one in his life till we got this one for him.At 40 feet he has to pull his arrows out of the target after 3 shots to keep from hitting them.
He is 13.

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
the arms are in great shape and it was restrung just before i bought it. im not fully understanding what you mean by covering the nock point. there are a couple little beads on the string near where i place the nock of the arrow but they are about an inch away from where i do it. do you have any idea what a bow like this might be worth?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bought my stepson a Compound at a pawn shop,cant recall the brand,4 weeks ago and he downed a button buck last saturday.
Kid can shoot the hell out of it and has never shot one in his life till we got this one for him.At 40 feet he has to pull his arrows out of the target after 3 shots to keep from hitting them.
He is 13.
If you are looking for a christmas present, when I started doing that I got one of those $40 layered foam blocks with five dots on them. Then I can put a couple arrows in each dot without the fear of robin hooding one of my not cheap carbon fiber arrows.

My brother got a fancier dense foam block target, had to take a knife to the $80 POS to get the arrows out.

Also pontiacfieroguy, here is a neat site on how to do different things with your bow.

http://bowtuningtips.com/

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
He is 13.
:icon_surprised::icon_surprised: WOW. I shot for years and never got close to that good.

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
If you are looking for a christmas present, when I started doing that I got one of those $40 layered foam blocks with five dots on them. Then I can put a couple arrows in each dot without the fear of robin hooding one of my not cheap carbon fiber arrows.

My brother got a fancier dense foam block target, had to take a knife to the $80 POS to get the arrows out.

Also pontiacfieroguy, here is a neat site on how to do different things with your bow.

http://bowtuningtips.com/
thanks man that is awesome

Last edited:

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The nock point is where the arrow clips on to the string. Those brass things are called brass nocks, and their squeezed tight onto the string. They are put there so that you always know where to nock your arrow (If its not the exact same place everytime, you will have up and down variation is your shots). If you shoot with fingers, I usually put just one nock on the string to keep the weight down, but two is fine as well.

When you clip the arrow on to the string, it should meet the string with a 90 degree angle. If those nocks aren't in the right position (as in, when your nock is butted up to them, or in between the two, whatever the case may be), then you might as well take them off because they are doing nothing, and have them put in the right place. If you shoot with a release there will be a d loop on the string, but you haven't mentioned anything like that so I will not go into further detail unless asked.

Now where you closer to me (I'm in Canada lol) I would offer my services in case you wanted to swing by the shop I work at, and I could set it up properly for you(if it isn't already I mean), and explain what I mean a little better. You can always take it to an archery shop if your unsure about anything.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Speaking about bows, anybody know anything about long bows? Found grandpa's old one while cleaning the house the other day. Looks to be 67" tall. He's been dead for 40 years and have no idea of how old it is.
Dave

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
thats a really cool find mac

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it was his, and he's been gone for 40 years... I'd say its at least 40 years old :headbang:. I know a little bit, but not a lot. If its 67" then you will need a 64" ish string. You can go to a bow shop, and if they have strings already made then with any luck you can put a few different lengths on (around 64") to see whats the best fit. Try to get a brace height (distance from handle to string) of around 7-8" or so. Also you might wanna look down one end (with it unstrung) and see if its warped or anything. If it is, it may be better to just hang on to it as a sentimental piece and not use it, unless you were to have someone steam the wood and get it back into shape. I have no idea where or how to find someone to do that though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals