• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 diesel ranger

jeffminsc

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L diesel
Transmission
Manual
OK here it is fresh from Ohio.

I need to find some parts for it. As of right now I know I need a starter, and turbo. If anyone knows where I can get some parts let me know.

jeffminsc

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L diesel
Transmission
Manual
Update

Worked on truck today got it running. Had my wife pull start me. :icon_rofl: Let's just say that was interesting. I found a starter on ebay it is on the way. :yahoo: The waste gate seams to be stuck open. no boost. I don't know a lot about diesels but I hope I can get some info. does anyone Know where I can Get a book on this motor? well on to the pictures
Motor:

Motor #2:

Working on:

IT RUNS!!!!!

So if you guys and gals can give me some info that would be great.:icon_bounceblue: so till next update:icon_cheers:

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that's one sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet project. what plans do you have for it?

jeffminsc

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L diesel
Transmission
Manual
I have an 88 2 wheel drive that has a good body well better than the 86 has and I'll fix what is wrong with it. I want to make a good drier and fair off roader just to go camping and stuff. It's going to take me a while but I'll work on it as I have time and cash. I wanted the diesel to be different than most people. I just hope I can find the parts I need.

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
good luck and keep the pics comming

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

this is my first ever ranger-a 1986 turbo diesel.loved that truck.you have a great starting point,but get better axles.i grenaded the 7.5 several times,and the d28 simply could not take my driving style.
i'd swap in an 8.8/d35 from a later ranger or explorer,4" lift,33" tires,4.10 gears.some may think the gear choice is too high(why not 4.56?)but the engine likes to stay in the 2000-2600 range.
my biggest problem was clutches-i didn't wear them out,i blew them up.the ranger clutch is too small for the torque the diesel produces,so under abuse it rips them apart.the only clutch i was able to keep together was a centerforce stage three.
do your maintenance and the engine is near indestructable.

jeffminsc

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L diesel
Transmission
Manual
Thanks gwaii. what can you tell me about the wast gate? the arm is not moving will I need to tear down the turbo or is there some way i can get it to free up wthout taking it off?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
you can make a waste gate controller....get a vac boost gauge and some threaded rod and some springs from the hardware store....pretty self evident what needs to be done....the w/g still moves right?

jeffminsc

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L diesel
Transmission
Manual
I don't know right now everything is still hooked up and the rod doesn't move that is all I know right now. as far as being self evident what needs to be done it may be to you but not to me. do you have more info on making a controler ? thanks for the info. BTW I do know that the turbo will turn so it is not locked up.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
theres a pin where the link attatches to the turbo-pull that pin so the link can be pulled off the lever.now,see if the lever will move back and forth.if it does,the vacuum servo is the problem.if not,gently try working it back and forth with pliers or vice grips.if it frees up,good to go.if not,you may need to get inside the turbo to clean out buildup.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
basically you can mod the vac motor to hold the spring.....using the gauge play with the spring rates till the boost is where you want it.

i do take shit for granted, but if you look at it and how it functions...i cant see how its not patently obvious as to what needs to happen.:dunno:

the fact you got this far though....i do know you can do it.:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
on this particular engine the spring is inside the vacuum servo,though if needed an external one could be used.i would guess(though it's only a guess)that the shaft going into the turbo is sticky.....a little playing around will probably free things up.

jeffminsc

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L diesel
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Bobby, Do you know how much boost I can put on it? I know it's a small turbo so it will spool up fast and not much boost I was thinking 4 or 5 PSI should be about right? I didn't have time to work on it today it was my anniversary so had to take care of momma. Thanks for the clarification.

jeffminsc

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L diesel
Transmission
Manual
Update

Sorry no pictures today. I worked on the turbo and got the waste gate lever unstuck, but there must be something wrong with the plate inside. The turbo still doesn't spool up like it should.:sad: I'm bidding on one on eBay I hope I get it. I found a place to get mine rebuilt if I have to.
The injector pump leaks bad around the throttle rod, I tried to find parts on Internet but I am having no luck. I hope someone here can tel me where to look. I did contact a company in Ohio that rebuilds injector pumps and he said he could fix it up for me for about $500. I knew this was going to cost some money but its getting expensive real quick. My plan is to get all the mechanical things out of the way before I start on the body. I also got to get some newer axles to put under it from what gwaii said and if he said it I believe him.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi with
Engine Size
2.3 Turbodiesel
Transmission
Manual
That's definately a great little project. I think getting a different body is the only way to go. I am a little concerned you may have purchased the wrong starter off EBAY. I know alot of the starters on ebay are listed incorrectly. If you have any questions about that little motor I will do my best to help. The Mitsubishi 4D55 is kind of uncommon in the Rangers but parts can still be had.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals