PDA

View Full Version : Front Lift ?

bowturkey
08-27-2010, 11:01 AM
I have recently accuired a sky jacker soft ride 6" lift I put on my 92 ranger 4x4. I don't need the travel because I don't do off road as such. Ipretty much put it on to get the 35x12.50s on it. I don't like the soft ride front coil springs. I had pretty new h.d. coil springs from before I was running a 1 3/4" spacer under. what are the chances of putting 4" spacers under old springs?
I did make up longer bolts for the coil bolt and have been in for a year. Would there be a problem with the flex part or anything you can think of why I shouldn't do it this way. I really don't want to guess about heavyer duty springs 4" longer because of cost.

any input appreciated,
Bowturkey

Sunk
08-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Skyjacker springs are softer than other coils, so if you were to switch to another company's spring you may get the additional height you're looking for. This is most obvious with an extended cab truck or Explorer as they are heavier. If it's still not high enough, you could add a spacer under the spring. Or you could use SJ 8" springs and still have a decent ride.

On my old 88, I swapped 4" Tuff Country springs for 6" SJ and was at about the same height.

bowturkey
08-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Sorry if I didn't make it clear what I was looking for. I have all the hieght I need just don't like the soft ride & what it does to the steering. With the ttb front end it just doesn't seem stable enough for me .

Sunk
08-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Switch to stiffer coils like Tuff Country then. If you're having issues with your steering, you may need a bigger drop pitman arm.

legoms013
08-27-2010, 04:43 PM
How are your tie rod angles?

And no chance of fitting a 4" spacer better off to buy a new, stiffer spring. The coil retaining stud only has so many threads on it. Usually only enough for a 1-1.5" spacer.

BTW most ppl would kill for your setup as they are trying to go from cheap ass lift kit to a Skyjacker kit, which is as heavy duty and reputable as they get. I'd say leave it alone its as good as its gonna get. Maybe try a different brand of shocks and make sure your sway bar is hooked up with the correct length links.

4x4junkie
08-27-2010, 05:22 PM
If your steering has issues, Fix it. Don't try to cover it up with stiffer springs (which won't do a very good job anyway). :icon_confused:

This article should help:
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/steering_tech.htm

IMO, even Skyjacker's springs are too stiff for anything but street use. To want something even stiffer means something isn't right under there (possible your shocks are no good too).

ThatGuy
08-27-2010, 05:53 PM
If this is what you're talking about (of course not to this extreme) don't do it.

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy254/bradzuki/scary178.jpg

Get new coils, a 4" spacer would be ghetto.

legoms013
08-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Nice pic, I think I threw up a little. :icon_twisted:

4x4junkie
08-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Lol, there's a great thread over on Pirate4x4 just for stuff like that.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=849050