• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Airguns.... who has what and how do you like it?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I've had a few different ones over the years, mostly pistols, but one pump-up rifle (Crosman). It's been a very good rifle, I used it for quite a few years before I moved up to shooting .22's and such. But now with the price of ammo I'm back to playing with airguns again.

Problem is, I'm rapidly getting tired of pumping 10 times to shoot at a crow in the yard or a target. So I'd like to get a single-stroke that is 1,000 fps or better with lead. I've been looking at Gamo since they are supposed to be really good last I heard, but I'm sort of unsure as to what to get. So I figured I'd throw it out here an see what everyone else plays with and if they have any input that will help me make a decision.

I looked at Gamo's website (I don't really like the looks of any of the current crop of Crosman guns). I'd kind of like to get their fixed barrel CFX, but I haven't been able to find any through a local dealer, so I'm not sure I'll get it. I'm budgeting around $300 max at this point. The other two I've been considering is the Whisper and the Shadow Fox (both claim similar specs and noise is not an issue). I can have my choice of the two for a $10 difference through a local shop.

So have at it...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have a daisy pump gun that by dad got for me for my birthday about 15 years ago. It still work great too. Had to get 3 layers of old carpet and a piece of 1/2" plywood as a back stop. It would put the pellets through anything less. That was at about 20 feet. I'm sure it will kill your crows at 25.

1 Pump gun too. It won't pump more than once.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a single shot gamo that I loved, sold it to a buddy when I was low on cash. He loves it too.

Eventually I want to get one of these bad little toys....
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Career_707_9mm_Ultra/307

It's a "Pre-charged pneumatic" or PCP rifle. You charge an onboard tank to around 2000-3000 psi from a scuba tank or a foot pump. The foot pump can take a while. It's got a 6 shot capacity, lever action and it fires 9mm pellets with about the same force as a 9mm pistol.

Since I'm not allowed to purchase a firearm this would be the next best thing to protect myself from intruders.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I actually have thought about going with a PCP, I can get one rather reasonable, but I'd rather just have a single stroke pump at this point.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd kind of like to get their fixed barrel CFX, but I haven't been able to find any through a local dealer, so I'm not sure I'll get it.
So have at it...
pyramidair.com sells just about everything air gun related and their prices are fairly reasonable. Only down side is they require a signature for the guns they ship so I usually end up picking whatever I order up from the post office since I'm never home.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i have a .22 that my dad gave me, not sure what the name of it is. i also got 2 pellet guns, the black one was given to me for my birthday 2 years ago and last winter i ended up bending the barrel so i sawed off the barrel haha

00dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 4.0
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Go to www.pyramidair.com and go to www.americanairgunhunter.com
Personaly I would stay away from Gamo. I feel the Gamo, winchester and beeman. I have owend several of all. They are crap in the fact they are not made very well, You can't keep a consistant group of shots due to the fact that the spring piston slams forward. The triggers on all very by lbs of trigger pressure. I've picked up 3 of the same rifles from the same batch, (My cousins and i are big air gun lovers) and we all shot the guns. They veried so much from hair trigger to barley can pull trigger. The manager at big 5 let us return them all several times due to the inconsistancy in workmanship and reliabilty as one or two did stop working properly. If you do have to go with a break barrel I'd recomend ordering a heavy grain pellet to slow it down to about 800 you will get better groupings and knock those Crows over.
In the end I want a PCP rifle but for now my favorite gun is my 1962 sheridan 20cal(we've rebuilt it several times) with a 28grain pellet, 8 pumps and open sights I regularly kill crows at 35yds. With the random 14.4 grain pellets, you had to have a head shot. either way those are two great web sights. I order through pyramidair and they are allways great. Try the predator ballistic tip pellets they are awsome & devastating.
Haven't touched a bird yet with them that dnt't fall total DOA, not a shake

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
screw airguns, i think you said that you had a .22, but i dont remember. if not, get one and get some 20gr Aguila Super Colibri. they are extremely quiet, all you hear is the rim being struck, they'll hold a decent enough group at 25 yards to hit a crow. they wont cycle a semi auto action tho

forgot to throw this in there, if you'd rather go with a air/pellet gun, get one of these
http://www.instructables.com/image/FFXZ6USF9N2E1ZO/Add-a-breech-safety-to-a-cheap-Chinese-pellet-gun.jpg
they are about 50 bucks at a pawn shop, but they are extremely powerful

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love the power of my .22 pellet rifle, my Daisy 22X is based on the old 880 (which my brother has) and the difference between the two is phenominal. The .177 is faster, but the .22 hands down does more when it gets there.

Mine is a weird backwards lever like the 880, and requires multiple pumps so it is out of the running for you requirements though. They don't make them anymore but I love the heft of the wood forearm and stock with a metal receiver vs the toy feeling all plastic 880 as well, it really feels like you have something.

00dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 4.0
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
A 29grain 22lr short is half or less as quite than my 8pump sheridan. Differance is I can hold the short a few inches high at a 100yds and still take dove or what ever. I couldent do that with my sheridan and the 28grain pellets i use even though they barley differ in FPS. Becareful if you got neighbors.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
I have an UZI style CO2 (semi-auto), its cool and fun, mostly metal, and has a foldable stock. Its life size too! (BB).

I also have a Daisy pump action rifle that uses BB's.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A 29grain 22lr short is half or less as quite than my 8pump sheridan. Differance is I can hold the short a few inches high at a 100yds and still take dove or what ever. I couldent do that with my sheridan and the 28grain pellets i use even though they barley differ in FPS. Becareful if you got neighbors.
That is the great thing about a pellet rifle, they don't fly forever and a day like a .22.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I guess I should clarify... I have a .22 rimfire, but I'm going back to shooting an airgun because of the cost of ammo. I'm not giving up the .22 I have, but a brick of 500 rounds is around $20 on sale here. I can pick up 500 .177 cal pellets for $5, which means I can have 4x the fun for the same cost.

Noise is totally not an issue. I live in the country, nobody cares how loud it is (in fact, some of the neighbors will often start shooting too if they hear someone else doing it). I just want something cheap to plink with and take out crows and other pests. I'd like to stick with a .177 cal because I already have a pile of pellets on hand for one (probably 1,500 or so of the wadcutter match, just under 500 each of pointed and hollow point, and 248 of the Gamo "red fire" pellets).

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
^
how about you build your own, get some metal tubing, use a small air compressor with 25 feet of line, maybe build a tripod, make it fully automatic, i'm thinkin a gravity fed magazine like a paintball gun.......yeah, i smell a new build thread

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like you need a break-barrel air rifle. I have a Crosman Phantom 1000. Okay rifle for the price of $100. When the barrel is fully cleaned and oiled, lead pellets (.177) do break the sound barrier. But after a few rounds, they will slow down enough to stop making a crack noise when fired. Accuracy is awsome thou. With the right soft base shooting platform, it shoots pellets right through the last hole (dime size grouping @ 30 yds). Only problem with the Phantom that I have had is the double recoil effect of the spring. Crosman's newer line of Nitro Piston rifles are suppose to give around 1000 fps and no double recoil.

I have in all 3 air guns. A Crosman Phantom 1000 break-barrel rifle, Crosman 66 mutli-pump rifle, and a Crosman 1377 mutli-pump pistol. The 1377 is my new favorite. Rifled barrel for better accuracy. Mutli-pump for adjusting the right amount of power. Low noise producer, which is required for my needs of taking out pests in a close quater neighbor hood. .177 pellet, right size to do the job, but not too big that it will close damages to fences and be harmless when shot into the air.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals