• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

in 4lo but not in 4lo

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
Alright I know im gonna get yelled at for this but o well. Last night i could get into 4hi, and used 4 lo once. Later i could get in 4 hi but not 4lo. So i drove around in 2hi for a while, and parked at a buddys house. A few hours later ( cold, snow) i went back out and started my truck and the 4hi and 4lo indicator were on, my hubs (manual) were locked in, but my truck was still in 2wd. Couldnt get the 4lo or hi to turn off (electronic transfer). This morning still have both indicators on, still only in 2hi, and stil cant get them to go off. Shift motor right? or somehthing cheaper?

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Try disconnecting the neg. battery cable to reset it. If it where your shift motor I'd say you'd still be in 4wheel. Both lights being on would mean you where in 4lo.

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
Alright disconnected the negative terminal, put it back on, started the truck and still had both 4hi and 4lo lights on. Now im stumped.
Help please this is my DD!!
thanks!

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
well, at least youre not stuck in 4 low. when i first got my 4x i had used 4 low to pull out of a boat ramp. when i went to put it back in 2 h it stayed in 4 l didnt realize i didnt quite have the clutch pushed in far enough, was 10 miles from home. i did get it finnally, seems stupid now but then i though its going to take hours to get to work.
________
CL100

Last edited:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I'd say test your 4x4 contoller. If it's a reg cab it behind the seat on the driver's side. If it's a super cab, it should be behind the jump seat on the same side. It should be a black plastic thing with 3 connectors going into it. IIRC you undo the connector on the left....should be the only one on that side. And with the key in the ON position, but the engine not running push a little white button on top. There should be a little red LED light next to it. I think it should flash at you if everything is good, I think it just lights up and stays on or doesn't light up at all when its crap. Worth a try.

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
Its Christmas and im working on my truck... Anyway i disconnected the two pigtails and did that test and the LED flashed so its good(right?). So I guess ill try and get the shift motor of to clean it(location?). What i dont get is why BOTH 4x4 and low range lights are on, on the switch and on the dash? Someone hlep me out please!
Thanks!

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Well it's located on the back of the transfer case. Held in by 4 or 5 10mm or 12mm bolts. Undo those, and the wire harness. I would reccomend both of these procedures:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89&highlight=shift+motor

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TCaseshiftmotor.htm

Don't worry about working on christams...I have to work tonight, and just got done putting new lash adjusters/ lifters in my truck. I'll hopefully get the valve cover cleaned up and put back on before I have to go to work. It's still outa commision though...I've got a ride. LOL

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
Any idea why the lights are all four on though? Just telling me its effed up or what?

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah thats, weird....Um have you checked any fuses for the 4x4? Maybe one is bad and it's shorting or something?

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
I checked one under the hood in the power dist box. Where else are they?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals