• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hard to start but runs fine

mwake83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 88 ranger with a 2.9l fuel injected. Recently it has been hard to start, not getting enough fuel. I can crank it over and after about 5 seconds it will fire up but run rough for a few seconds like it is running out of gas then starts running fine. It does this everytime i start it, warm or cold, and on both front and rear tanks. I have about 15,000 miles on new injectors and about 3000 on new plugs and wires. Could this be a fuel pump issue? Any suggestions will help. thanks.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 88 ranger with a 2.9l fuel injected. Recently it has been hard to start, not getting enough fuel. I can crank it over and after about 5 seconds it will fire up but run rough for a few seconds like it is running out of gas then starts running fine. It does this everytime i start it, warm or cold, and on both front and rear tanks. I have about 15,000 miles on new injectors and about 3000 on new plugs and wires. Could this be a fuel pump issue? Any suggestions will help. thanks.
Hard to tell, you will probably need to test the fuel pressure. Check the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line for raw fuel as well..

Pete

mwake83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have fuel pressure but it takes a while for fuel to get to the injectors. I Have to turn the key on and off 4 or 5 times to get fuel up to the rail. I think the fuel is draining back into the tank. Is there a check valve in the line somewhere to prevent this, in the fuel pump, or regulator?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
I have fuel pressure but it takes a while for fuel to get to the injectors. I Have to turn the key on and off 4 or 5 times to get fuel up to the rail. I think the fuel is draining back into the tank. Is there a check valve in the line somewhere to prevent this, in the fuel pump, or regulator?
A number of things can do this;

Inside the FPR, (Fuel Pressure Regulator) there is a diaphram that helpes control fuel flow, (vacuum operated)...but this isn't a end all check valve.

BUT, as a start,{as Pyscopete suggested},check the little vacuum line on the FPR, take it off, if it is wet or fuel dribbles out of it...replace it. it is easy to check and quick.

most times this helps/cures your condition. new FPR that is.

can you hear the Fuel pump as you turn the key just on, (not engaging the starter)...you should!

If the FPR has been replaced or you feel that it is operating OK, then what might the issue is the Fuel Pump pretty sure that it has a internal check valve.

Before you go and start digging into the the FP...change the fuel filter, (simple things 1st, eh). no it doesn't have a check valve, (or so I been told)...if it is clogged, it will prohibite fuel to pass. also making a hard to start situation/condition.

There is also a fuel pump relay switch, mostlikely on the passanger side , inside the fender....check it others may help as to what color it is...green or brown?

check your fuel lines if you got a leak that can give you fits starting too.

Do you have 2 fuel pumps???...1 intank...& one on the frame rail.

if you have 2 pumps...then it maybe possible that the low pressure intank pump isn't working, or working poorly.

if you have twin tanks...then a sector valve maybe at faulty...bad connection.

mwake83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the help. It ended up being the fuel pump relay (brown plug).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals