• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

duraspark swap

old timer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey I'm doing a duraspark swap on my 84 Bronco II 2.8 and I have a question. While un plugging the wiring on the drivers side fenderwell a grey plug in with 8 spots for wires with 6 being used. 2 of which are for the water temp and the other for oil pressure. The question is do I need to remove the other 4 wires and re plug back in the original connector? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I didn`t unplug it I just cut all the wires for the computer and left the alternator and guages there. I started from the computer and disconnected all the computer sensors then from rectangular connector I figured out which wires to save then cut the others. Just unplug the two wire oval connector for the ignition. Did you get a duraspark module mine just plugged into the 2 wire oval they are color coded different but it is correct. I also got a wire harness frome the bone yard with the three and four round connector off a 84 4 cylinder ranger and just plugged it in and run the green wire to the coil. works great. make sure you dont cut the alternator wires on mine i traced the stator wire back to the connector but it was not connected to the regulator you can use that wire for the electric choke or just connect the choke to the ignition

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Oh yea the power for the coil comes off that connector I just kept the stock coil that way you don`t need a ballast resistor. My timing is set at 8 BTDC and advances well over 30 degrees at wide open throttle. are you keeping the feedback carb

old timer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I got all my stuff from a 78 2.8 mustang incl carb. So if I understand what you've said I need to just cut the wires from the main loom from the computor that went to the emission controls plug in the round connector at the duraspark box and wire to the coil. Is that correct? Thanks

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Yes I tested the wires from the ignition I believe the white was ignition and red was start that was opposite on the module but is correct when plugged in. the green from the duraspark goes to the neg on the coil. the three wires for the distributor were coded different but were also correct. from the 8 wire connector leave the power to the coil temp sensor oil sensor and alternator I stripped the loop back so I did not cut any wires that were needed.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You may need a spacer for the carb felpro # 60529 the feedback spacer is inset for the throttle position sensor. run the ported vacuum on the carb for the advance. I also put new valve guide seals in as I was using oil and was fouling the plugs.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
does you new carb have the electric choke. If it does you will probably have to use the ignition wire as the stator from the alternator only puts ot around 7 volts and wont open the choke all the way

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
does you new carb have the electric choke. If it does you will probably have to use the ignition wire as the stator from the alternator only puts ot around 7 volts and wont open the choke all the way
I had that problem when I did the duraspark swap on mine. Never could figure why it seemed to work fine before but would hardly open after the swap. I just hooked it up to 12V and it opens in about 3-4 min. now depending on the outside temp.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals