• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Idling rpm?

85_redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L 4 Cyl
Transmission
Manual
what do some of your trucks idle at because mine normally stays at around 7 to 800 rpm but recently when i've been starting it and leaving it i'll come back out and it'll be either idling really really low like around 250 or it'll just die it doesn't sound all that great at 250 either it sounds like it has an aftermarket cam but i know it doesn't it just has that kind of bobble sound. Any suggestions?:icon_confused:

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2.8 should idle around 750-800 for automatic trans. I think it's like 650 for manual.

Ever rebuilt the carb? Run any cleaners through it?

85_redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L 4 Cyl
Transmission
Manual
no but i was thinking to use a cleaner or rebuild the carb thanks alot

85_redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L 4 Cyl
Transmission
Manual
also when my truck is cold it starts and revs to 3 grand i know this is just the choke but how long should i let it rev this high sorry thismay be a dumb question but this is the first carbed motor i've ever had

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
It will stay at high idle until you press the gas to de-activate it. My dads truck is a manual and it idles at 800 rpm, says under the hood what it should idle at.

Manuals are 700-800 rpm and autos are 800-900 rpm.

My truck being TBI when warmed up it idles at 800 rpm but on a cold start-up its at 650 rpm.

Remeber if you have heavy build up in a carb and run a cleaner through it there is a chance that you could loosen up big stuff and clog up ports.

EdgeKrusher4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My Bronco II (85) says the manual idles at 800-900 in neutral, and if it was an automatic it would be at 700-800 in drive. Maybe different with CA emissions. Best resource is your emissions sticker under the hood.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Damn is it that high for the manual? I had my old truck set at about 500 in gear (auto trans) and never had any trouble. But you do have to be careful with idle speed because oil pressure starts to drop around 500 rpm depending on what kinda shape the motor is in.
Friend of mine had the idle speed on his chevy K20 set around 400 rpm and it idled fine at that speed, but oil pressure was about 10psi, and his battery kept dieing. Alternator would hardly charge it at such a low rpm. I finally convinced him he should bring it up to 500 or so after the transmission started slipping. 3 weeks later the trans pump started whining and within a day it wouldn't move in any gear.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Idle speed does two things = keeps engine running and keeps emissions down. So some of your speed is emissions based.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals