• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 defferance,s &trannys

RWS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
wondering are all (4.0,s sohc.,s) and i found a 99 explorer 4.0/5-speed/2 wheel drive..mine is a 95 4x4 ranger,, ? is will the 2-wheel drive tranny work on my 4.0 and t-case by changing rear shaft housing only..

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Your best bet is to try and clean up what you typed there, it's real hard to read and is less likely to be replied to. Then post it in the most applicable forum, which in this case would be transmission forum, which you have already posted it in. For future reference you do not need to post to 3 different forums.

You have already gotten an answer to your latter question in the other forum from what I can tell. As to what appears to be your first question no all 4.0s are not SOHC. Up to 2000 all 4.0 Rangers were OHV, if I recall correctly the switch was made in 2001 with some being OHV and others being SOHC, after that year all were SOHC. I believe that Explorers made the switch to SOHC in 1998.

On other topic. Welcome to TRS!

frankserrano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
wondering are all (4.0,s sohc.,s) and i found a 99 explorer 4.0/5-speed/2 wheel drive..mine is a 95 4x4 ranger,, ? is will the 2-wheel drive tranny work on my 4.0 and t-case by changing rear shaft housing only..
whoa..

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
lol wut?

The 99 explorer will be the SOHC 4.0. Your 4.0 in the '95 is the OHV 4.0. The SOHC manual will bolt right up to your OHV.....the SOHC trannys have all the holes needed....even has a spare bellhousing hole that's specific to OHV engines. You'll have a spare hole and that hole will be SOHC specific. SOHC trannys will bolt to an OHV with all bellhousing bolts being used. However, doesn't work vice versa because OHV bellhousings are missing the SOHC specific hole. Leaving an empty hole and missing a bellhousing bolt.

To respond to an above post, 1997 is when Ford introduced the 4.0 SOHC in the explorer. In '97, it was optional with the 4.0 OHV standard and in 1998, the SOHC was standard. The OHV lived on in the Ranger til '00. 01 was the introduction of the SOHC in the Ranger and that's where it still lives today.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals