• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

low end mods/ valve questions

mornin151

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok so what would be some lower end mods that i could do my self? i have a 84 ranger with a 85 2.8 in it. I've had some odd problems with them but i never see to find them for sure, they just go away. The carb i have needs a rebuild, bad... and i know thats only like 30 bucks to get it but how much would a aftermarket entry level carb be worth, used... nothing new cause i know them are like 300... or so...

now aside from the mods i have another question with the valve seats, i was reading on here that the vavle seats are known for going out on these and you can re place them with out removing the heads... but im not sure if mine will hold compression long enough, or even if its worth it... any one know how much the valve seats cost? if i replace them is it worth just going through the whole thing and replacing valves, guides, springs all that stuff?

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
"valve seats" I think you mean valve (stem) seals. A manual would be of great help to you.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok 151

ok so what would be some lower end mods that i could do my self? i have a 84 ranger with a 85 2.8 in it. I've had some odd problems with them but i never see to find them for sure, they just go away. The carb i have needs a rebuild, bad... and i know thats only like 30 bucks to get it but how much would a aftermarket entry level carb be worth, used... nothing new cause i know them are like 300... or so...

now aside from the mods i have another question with the valve seats, i was reading on here that the vavle seats are known for going out on these and you can re place them with out removing the heads... but im not sure if mine will hold compression long enough, or even if its worth it... any one know how much the valve seats cost? if i replace them is it worth just going through the whole thing and replacing valves, guides, springs all that stuff?
What is it you wish to do and why? As for the seats...You cannot replace them without a machine shop and the heads off of the engine.. I' also sure you mean seals.
Over the years the seals wear out and allow some oil to get into the combustion chamber where it is burned off.. Unless your ride is actually smoking I'd advise you to leave them alone. Personally I'v never replaced the valve seals with the head still on the engine. Although there are several tools available which can be used to do this job...I'd rather not.

Low end mods? By that do you mean mods that will help the vehicle get off the line? Or do you mean mods that are on the low end of pricing?
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

prestonrucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 4.6
Transmission
Manual
i had my heads cleaned, pressure tested, remachined, and the valve stem seals replaced at a NAPA machine shop and it was only like $185

mornin151

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
lower end mods being cheaper motor mods i could do.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
steam clean the engine and check for leaks. replace gaskets, seals, hoses, etc. as needed.
dura-spark the ignition. new plugs and wires as well. simplicity and durability.
do the carb as you do the dura-spark. the tech library explains it all.
flush and clean the cooling system. do this before the 3 row radiator goes in. no sense flushing all the crap thru a new radiator. 3 row radiator. better cooling.
headers or the aerostar tubular exhaust manifold. better exhaust and sound.
up grade air filter, oil filter, and good oil. not the wal-mart oil, fram filters, etc.
change all the fluids in your tranny, transfer case, axles, ps pump, etc.

that would be a good start, imho.

mornin151

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
alrighty... sweet thanks now i gotta find out why it wont start first! haha

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals