• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.6l sohc or dohc

59flatbedford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
so my main question is if i decide to swap a 4.6l into my 89 ranger which one should i go with, sohc or dohc. If im thinking right the sohc is narrower making it an easier install, but the dohc i could get an aluminum block and they make more power and torque. is this right. Im thinking of maybe finding like a wrecked mark 8 or something to get the aluminum 4.6l dohc and then hooking that to the 5speed tranny and t case out of an f150. Is this possible and will it cause my have to build crazy ass wiring harness.

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
are the 3 valves dohc? if so, if its much easier to do an sohc swap then do that unless you can get a 4 valve motor (navigator, cobra, etc.) they're nasty ass motors.

59flatbedford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well i think that a lot of the dohc blocks were aluminum which would save a bunch on weight. which would be good i dont want to have to but 8in lift coils in to get 4in of lift. lol.

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
haha i hear ya man, im goin with 2" leveling coils for my 302 swap and i doubt i'll see more than an inch of lift from them...

i remember a while back on that pass time show on speed there was a foxbody with a stock 32v navigator motor. over 100k miles, and that thing was NASTY. i think it ran a low 12 and the torque was pretty intense.

i say you should definitely go for it! people always talk about doing modular swaps but few end up going thru...

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think the SOHC motors are 5" narrower than the DOHC motors. The three valve are alum and weigh 435 LBs dressed, 300 HP stock. Ford sells a stand alone wiring harness and computer for them (about $1150). Slap on a M90 SC and you can be up around 425 rwhp.
Dave

59flatbedford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well i dont think i need a supercharger or 400+ horspower. so are the 3v a sohc then and if so what would they have came in. and also i heard that they lightened the block in like 01 and also reinforced weak spots. I also heard that in 99 the improved the hell out of the heads. so if this is true i would want an 01 or up 3v 4.6l out of a what????also if i get the manual trans out of a f150 would i want the wiring harness out of it or would i want it out of the car i get the motor from.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
'05' and newer Mustangs came with the alum block, think the Explorers did after '04 or 05' also. The later 4.6's are a lot different than the earlier blocks. Hope you're talking about a 4x2. For a 4x4, have to find a trans out of an F-150. The wiring is a whole lot different on the newer 3V motors. They actually have three CPU's now, all mounted up on the front passenger fender.
Dave

59flatbedford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well my truck will be a 4x4. hence the f150 trans and tcase. so would i be able to take a engine out of a 05+ mustang hook it to the f150 5speed manual and manual t case. If i did this would i need a wiring harness out of a manual mustang or would the one out of the f150 work. or would i need a custom one.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not going to stick my neck out on any wiring questions, especially something new like this. That's one reason I mentioned the stand alone wiring harness from Ford. Best to get both wiring diagrams and go thru both and see what problems. Breaking new ground is never easy.
Dave

59flatbedford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well the one that ford list (at least the one i found) says that it is for the ford racing 4.6l crate engines so im not sure whether that would work with a production motor or not. this might turn into a very interesting project if i can ever afford to start collecting parts.

Nater

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well if space was an issue, a 5.4L would be a extremely tight fit. It was a tight fit when I put it in my mustang.
As far as the heads go, in 99 they put the PI heads on the mustang. If you really want, you can use a 96-98 4.6L block and put the 99-04 heads and cams on it and have about 20 more horses from a stock 99-04 setup.
In my personal opinion, I think you might be asking for problems by putting a 3v setup. Either way either 2v, 3v, 4v, you are looking at a lot of time tuning the truck.

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
I won't try to tell you which version of the 4.6 to go with. From a wiring stand point there is one that would be easier to swap into an older vehicle using the factory wiring, the '93-'95 Mark VIII. It uses the old EEC-IV system like in the '94-'95 5.0 Mustang and doesn't have PATS. Just an FYI.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
And I'll second what MAC hinted at-

all Explorer 4.6's (SOHC) were aluminum block/heads...

A SOHC would likely be an easier fit, and a blower makes up for any lost power.
But I'd still be more impressed with the DOHC!!!

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
so my main question is if i decide to swap a 4.6l into my 89 ranger which one should i go with, sohc or dohc. .
If you are going to do this swap it wont be easy with either engine. :dunno:
Im thinking of maybe finding like a wrecked mark 8.
This would be an easy one to find and you could use the wiring harness from the mark VIII to make things a little easier for you. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals