• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Seven million little Rangers

The Luigiian

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
In January, the number of Rangers produced hit seven million.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/02/7-millionth-ford-ranger-rolls-off-the-assembly-line.html

In an era when small isn't cool anymore, the Ranger still soldiers on, number two in the compact segment.

Even when the little truck ends its long, long service, it will go out with a serious bang. Seven million trucks. Still one-third of the vehicle tally produced by the Volkswagen Beetle, by the time it ends it will likely end up with a production tally of about half that of the Model T (16,500,000 cars was the Model T's tally) and about one-fifth that of the Toyota Corolla.

(source: http://www.automotoportal.com/article/Top_5_Worlds_Most_Successful_Cars_Ever)

Perhaps not the most successful vehicle ever built, but consider this: The Explorer and Bronco II were also built on the same platform until 2001, as was the Sport Trac till 2005. While I couldn't find the sales stats for the Explorer and Bronco II, that's still a lot of Ranger-based vehicles.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
wow 7 million, wonder what # my Ranger would be

countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
mine is older so it is close in the lower millionth catogory lol

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
true that matt!!!
it makes me cry knowing that Ford is killing the lil beast. anyway im gonna rebuild my engine when it dies, and when it cant be rebuit anymore im replacing it with another 2.5
anyway mahindra ull never have my butt on one of those fugly chits u build
i'd rather walk!!!

masterbrenden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2010
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
3.0l v6/4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
is this a announced for sure because if so they are going lose a lot of fleet business for sure

Madracingalley

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volvo....
Engine Size
2.4L T5
Transmission
Automatic
A LOT OF FLEET BUSINESS

NAPA
Advanced auto parts
Exterminators in our area
Small Delivery services

To Me WHY would you kill such a large market

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
you remember when they stopped making the crown Victoria? yeah well fleets can still buy it. i bet they will do this to the ranger.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A LOT OF FLEET BUSINESS

NAPA
Advanced auto parts
Exterminators in our area
Small Delivery services

To Me WHY would you kill such a large market

Now before I say this, bear in mind I love my Ranger more than anything, and it is a very tough, very capable vehicle. They can replace it or discontinue it if they want, but they'll never make me get rid of mine.

That being said, I actually work as an exterminator, because I had such great aspirations in life...but that's a different topic.

Anyway, most of the pest companies use a small pickup truck with a cap or tonneau, for the regular pest trucks. My company actually runs Silverados for the regular pest trucks, and I personally think that's overkill. For Termite work you need something a little bigger. My company runs f350s for the Termite rigs because they have to haul around the 290 gallon pesticide tank and pump rig in the back.

So, in light of that. I think the Transit connect would be much better suited to this type of work than a Ranger. The same goes for the parts delivery stuff. I've seen a couple of parts delivery stores actually using Toyota Matrix cars to deliver parts around here. Honestly I think just about every fleet that uses a compact pickup truck would be able to use the transit connect just as well. Ford's just doing what Chevy should have done and are getting rid of models that compete with each other. Why pay the cost of having two full production lines for two vehicles that perform the same job when you can combine them and produce a single vehicle.

As unfortunate as it is, and as unhappy as it makes me to say it.... It just makes sense.

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Now before I say this, bear in mind I love my Ranger more than anything, and it is a very tough, very capable vehicle. They can replace it or discontinue it if they want, but they'll never make me get rid of mine.

That being said, I actually work as an exterminator, because I had such great aspirations in life...but that's a different topic.

Anyway, most of the pest companies use a small pickup truck with a cap or tonneau, for the regular pest trucks. My company actually runs Silverados for the regular pest trucks, and I personally think that's overkill. For Termite work you need something a little bigger. My company runs f350s for the Termite rigs because they have to haul around the 290 gallon pesticide tank and pump rig in the back.

So, in light of that. I think the Transit connect would be much better suited to this type of work than a Ranger. The same goes for the parts delivery stuff. I've seen a couple of parts delivery stores actually using Toyota Matrix cars to deliver parts around here. Honestly I think just about every fleet that uses a compact pickup truck would be able to use the transit connect just as well. Ford's just doing what Chevy should have done and are getting rid of models that compete with each other. Why pay the cost of having two full production lines for two vehicles that perform the same job when you can combine them and produce a single vehicle.

As unfortunate as it is, and as unhappy as it makes me to say it.... It just makes sense.
i saw a smart car delivery car for napa in the city. the one in my town uses the pt cruiser. but the ranger in my town dominates there are a ton around because people want a truck but dont need a 1500 so the ranger is the logical choice. wish they would bring the b2 back....

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
amen to the b2...that would make the best rig IMO so long as it got a decent suspension package...

honestly...if i need a newer rig id probably get a new 2010 tj or w/e those new jeeps are called....basic...NO OPTIONS i want manual windows and doors! and a manual tranny and t case...

its the only rig out there thats NEW that has what it takes u know what i mean?

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
one of the only new vehicles i would buy new would be the mahindra truck 4x4 diesel pretty basic about the size of a ranger but it has a quad cab option. it is arriving to the us market in april and i hope it will make its way to the Canadian market soon after. just i hope they decide to offer a standard version too

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals