• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

does this proglem pertain to the 2.9, too...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
does this pertain to the 2.9 engine...

on therangerstation, Resources, page, if you click on, Known problem areas, there are a number of facts, under the category, Engine... one of them is this, which I copied and pasted...

here it is, >> Engine Tapping: <<

Early Rangers with the 2.8L engine can have tapping that's audible in the cab. The noise is most noticeable in below freezing temperatures. The condition may be caused by the EGR solenoid assembly, which is in the engine control housing that's mounted on the right hand fender apron. Ford has a replacement solenoid assembly. All vacuum and wiring connections should be checked as well.
....................................................................................................

I was wondering if this problem, also, pertains to the 2.9 engine, as the 2.9 engine has an EGR solenoid assembly, too, like the 2.8 engine does...

and how would the EGR solenoid assembly, relate to causing the engine to have an audible tapping sound, that can be heard in the cab...

does anyone know how, or why, and have any logical ideas...

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
No, the "Tapping" in a 2.9 is usually valvtrain noise, usually the lifters.

when the lifters tap in a 2.9 it's usually an oil pressure issue
or atleast an oil CONTROL issue...

when a 4.0 makes similar noises it's usually the pushrod sockets in the
rocker arms and pushrod tips, this friction area tends to gall because
of poor lubrication.

AD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hi

that's what I thought, too... so, is that information that my question was referring to, a misprint of wrong information...

No, the "Tapping" in a 2.9 is usually valvtrain noise, usually the lifters.

when the lifters tap in a 2.9 it's usually an oil pressure issue
or atleast an oil CONTROL issue...

when a 4.0 makes similar noises it's usually the pushrod sockets in the
rocker arms and pushrod tips, this friction area tends to gall because
of poor lubrication.

AD

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
AllanD,
The old Ford 312 V-8 engines used to have a bad problem with oil starvation to the valve train; there was a kit available which routed oil from the main gallery to the rocker shafts. I wonder if something similair is possible or has been tried on the 2.9L engine? I'd try it myself except my 2.9L does not have a tap.

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well when my 2.9 was ticking it was due to clogged rocker armshafts. I unclogged the armshafts and snugged up nuts on the rocker arms and my ticking problems was solved.
That was 4 years ago.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hi

how did you go about unclogging your rocker armshafts, which was causing your 2.9 engine ticking... you said, after you unclogged your engine's armshafts and snugged up the nuts, on the rocker arms, your engine's ticking problems were solved... were the nuts you tightened up, on the rocker arms, the one's that are there, for adjusting your hydraulic lifters, that you're referring to...

do these rocker armshafts have a oil passage way, that is lubricating them with pressurized oil, from the engin'es oil system...

there are a lot of people, on this forum, that seem to have 2.9 engine ticking problems, too, besides my 2.9 engine... so, after you explain how you did this, in a little more detail... hopefully, it will help them, too, along with myself... thanks...

Well when my 2.9 was ticking it was due to clogged rocker armshafts. I unclogged the armshafts and snugged up nuts on the rocker arms and my ticking problems was solved.
That was 4 years ago.

Last edited:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I don't think it is a misprint.. You clearly quote it as saying the 2.8L motor.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm wondering if it's accurate information that will actually, in someway, resolve a 2.8 and a 2.9 engine's ticking problems, in relation to the EGR solenoid assembly...

and if, so, how it would do that?? or, if this information, is a misprint, and is not accurate information, that is proven to work...

if this is a remedy, that is known to work... I would like to hear you're reasoning, behind it... that's what this post is all about... incase you hadn't figured that out, yet..lol...

as everyone, else, so far, seems to think that these engine's ticking problems, are caused, instead, by a oil pressure issue to the valve train, usually the hydraulic valve lifters... incase, you hadn't noticed the other peoples replies...

thanks for your input, anyway... if you would like to elaborate more of your thoughts, theories, and ideas, on this subject... feel free, to enlighten the rest of us...

I don't think it is a misprint.. You clearly quote it as saying the 2.8L motor.

Last edited:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
The 2.9L is notorious for having an audible tick. Most of the time it is merely the fuel injectors firing. Mine has "ticked" since I got it 50K ago and my oil pressure is still 65 cold and 20 at warm idle. It may be an oiling problem, but most have been driving their truck with the tick for quite some time.

If your tapping is louder when it is very cold outside, stop driving the truck and tear into the motor.

However, if the sound is not dependant on the ambient and motor temperature and stays the same all the time.. It's your injectors.. Turn the radio up louder.

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I drilled a 3/16 hole on one end of the rocker armshaft. Then with all the arms removed
soaked the shaft in lacquer thinner. (I used the bottom plastic tank of an old radiator as
a tray to soak the shaft.) With a 1/8 welding rod I rodded out the shaft and soaked it again. Repeat this process till clean. Mig weld hole on end of shaft. Also check the holes on the rocker arms that are clean.

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How I solved my ticking problem

When I got my 90 BII running this past January my 2.9 would tick real loud and often.
The previous owner had replaced the original engine from a wrecking yard. Not knowing
he was sold an 1987 engine. Also the previous owner had trans trouble so he was not able to run the engine.
Bought the Bronco II for $650.00. Got a recently rebuilt A4LD from a rolled Ranger.
Then I found out that I had a very noisey engine. Read on another web site said don't use Fram oil filters. Well I replaced mine with a Motorcraft filter and the engine sounded better but still ticking. I opened up the valve covers to try and adjust the rocker arms and found that the ends of both shafts were abit dry. No oil flowing out from the rocker arms. I figure the shafts
had to be clogged. Punched a hole on one end about 3/16 and used a 1/8 welding rod
to see if it was clogged. Sure enough it would'nt go in an inch!!! I soaked the shaft in
lacquer thinner and began to rod it out with the 1/8 rod till clean. It took awhile.(used
the bottom tank of Ranger radiator as a tray to soak the shaft in so as not to waste thinner) I later mig welded the hole on the end. Also chamfered out the stem where the oil flows up to the shaft.
Now the oil just pours out of the rocker arms and down to the lifters. The Ford manual says a just 1 1/2 turns. Read somewhere that now it should be 2 turns.
What I did was I cut open a set of valve covers on the top and with an old heater hose I'd listen for the noisest lifter. Then I would turn off the engine and snug the rocker arm nut abit. I know at times I passed 2 turns. Figured the lifters are worned out from lack of oil. Read that if you tighten to much you can crack your Heads. I would
tighten the rocker arm so that I can hear a light faint tick.(This is my safety margin) Do not over tighten!!!
My engine is quite now but once in awhile i hear it ticking. Thats when I know my oil level is low.
Read that other ticking problems could be worn cam bearings, worn lifters, worn cam ect. I think the biggest problem is proper oil flow!!! Then you
would'nt have worn parts.

__________________This is what I wrote on another website Dec 2003

Last edited:

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
When I got my 90 BII running this past January my 2.9 would tick real loud and often.
The previous owner had replaced the original engine from a wrecking yard. Not knowing
he was sold an 1987 engine. Also the previous owner had trans trouble so he was not able to run the engine.
Bought the Bronco II for $650.00. Got a recently rebuilt A4LD from a rolled Ranger.
Then I found out that I had a very noisey engine. Read on another web site said don't use Fram oil filters. Well I replaced mine with a Motorcraft filter and the engine sounded better but still ticking. I opened up the valve covers to try and adjust the rocker arms and found that the ends of both shafts were abit dry. No oil flowing out from the rocker arms. I figure the shafts
had to be clogged. Punched a hole on one end about 3/16 and used a 1/8 welding rod
to see if it was clogged. Sure enough it would'nt go in an inch!!! I soaked the shaft in
lacquer thinner and began to rod it out with the 1/8 rod till clean. It took awhile.(used
the bottom tank of Ranger radiator as a tray to soak the shaft in so as not to waste thinner) I later mig welded the hole on the end. Also chamfered out the stem where the oil flows up to the shaft.
Now the oil just pours out of the rocker arms and down to the lifters. The Ford manual says a just 1 1/2 turns. Read somewhere that now it should be 2 turns.
What I did was I cut open a set of valve covers on the top and with an old heater hose I'd listen for the noisest lifter. Then I would turn off the engine and snug the rocker arm nut abit. I know at times I passed 2 turns. Figured the lifters are worned out from lack of oil. Read that if you tighten to much you can crack your Heads. I would
tighten the rocker arm so that I can hear a light faint tick.(This is my safety margin) Do not over tighten!!!
My engine is quite now but once in awhile i hear it ticking. Thats when I know my oil level is low.
Read that other ticking problems could be worn cam bearings, worn lifters, worn cam ect. I think the biggest problem is proper oil flow!!! Then you
would'nt have worn parts.

__________________This is what I wrote on another website Dec 2003
HUH??? Please use the quote button so that we can actually read what you're saying. To get help, you need to be clear on punctuation, etc. This is a chore just to read through these type of posts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals