• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Using E-85 instead of gas

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys and gals, I have a 99 Ranger 3.0L Flex fuel and I just found out that a gas station about 8-9 miles away in another town near me sells E-85. I've been using gas (usually midgrade) for about a year and half, and I don't know if it has ever been ran off of E-85...now the question is should I switch to E-85? I know it decreases gas mileage, but it's cheaper, and makes the engine run smoother? Is it worth it to run it off E-85 instead of say midgrade to premium gas? What are all the pros/cons of it? Thanks everyone

oldmantruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If I remember right from chemistry class, you will probably get only about 75% of the mpg you get on gas, so you probably won't get ahead on price, but it will support farmers and help use a little less foreign oil. Now if you had a turbo, you could crank the boost way up since e-85 runs at a little over 100 octane, but on a naturally asperated motor, you just use more fuel to go the same distance.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You shouldn't need midgrade on just about any stock vehicle sold in the last 30 years or so. Use 87 octane at low altitude.

High octane has decreased volatility and decreased burn rate and can cause problems.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You shouldn't need midgrade on just about any stock vehicle sold in the last 30 years or so. Use 87 octane at low altitude.

High octane has decreased volatility and decreased burn rate and can cause problems.
This engine was designed with this in mind, it should burn it ok.

Guys with the flex fuel F-150's say they get a tad more power and just come out ahead on milage from regular gas. It is dirt cheap around here as refineries are popping up all over too though.

Zerocide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well over all E-85 gives the 3.0 25% less mileage, but roughly about 10% more hp. Never could figure that out, E-85 burns cooler then normal gas but produces more power but still ends up with less fuel economy. Anyway E-85 is worth it as long as your paying 25% less then normal gas. Normal gas where i live is 2.77, and i pay 1.99 for E-85, thats a 28% difference for me.

michowski

Reaction score
well think of it this way. Do you do a lot of driving around and know of a lot of gas stations that carry e85? Id hate to drive an hour from home and need to fill up and all the sudden you realize theres only unleaded gas out there and your mixing fuels.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
its a flex fuel vehicle....mixing e-85 and gas in the tank doesnt matter.

Zerocide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
if you mix the fuel youll find your self getten hp between E-85 and normal gas, and mileage between E-85 and normal gas. flex fuel is pretty hard to come by in many places, where i live i got a station that has it about 15 miles away (closest station is 8 miles away) so i really only spend 2 gallons going there and back.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
c'mon guys its a no brainer. its a cleaner, renewable, american made fuel. who cares if you get a hair less mpg or a hair less power, its cheaper and it supports the american economy rather than the middle east. not to mention it keeps your engine internals cleaner. and just because you have e85 in it once doesnt mean you cant put straight gasoline back in it if need be, it wont hurt anything. you could do every other tank if you wanted to with no ill effects. theres a couple stations around here that sell e85 now for usually about $.40 a gal cheaper and if i could, i would use it in every tank.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
e85 actually generally produces a bit more hp then gas...but with lower mileage...figure that one.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
its because its a higher fuel to air ratio....your engine will run on it even if its not a flex fuel but it cant compensate for the extremely lean condition...(i have tried)

ozzwoman9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok time for my input. I've heard of people having injector issues when switching back and forth directly from E85 to reg gas. I've heard that it's best to mix it a bit if you are switching from one to the other.

Now on my side. I started running E85 off and on since earlier this year and my truck has apparently developed some problems, I'm not 100% sure it's related to the E85 itself, but I just thought I would mention it (there is a post on here about my issue). I did recently got a code and it came back that the flexible fuel sensor was bad. I personally think that the $588 sensor that I had to replace totally made up the difference in the savings from running E85 (and after spending that much $$ my problem is back), only the 99 has this sensor from my understanding. Anyway, I thought I would share this. I now have my truck sitting at a mechanic to find my prob cause my issue came back after replacing that sensor.

Anyway, I thought I would share this info. I personally (when and if my truck is back and running good) am afraid to run E85 again.

jlr23402003

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i always run premium in my 2003 edge, but since i have a race shop about 1/2 mile from my house about once a month i put 2 gallons of 111 octane on top of a full tank, now that cleans out your internals. plus you can imagine the power boost. screw e 85, go 111

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Umm, 111 octane (or even 91 octane) will do NOTHING to "clean out" anything or to improve power. It will be less prone to detonation, and will allow you to advance the timing further (but your truck WILL NOT do this on its own), nor can you do it yourself with EDIS.

If it has TEL, you've damaged your cat and your truck stinks to heck.

Your truck should run as well on 87 octane as it does on anything else. If it doesn't, something is broken.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
dang, mike beat me to it.

your engine has no way of telling what octane is in the tank, and therefor no way of making use of the higher octane fuel.

the only way to see a gain from high octane fuel is with a programmer to advance your timing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals