• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

To Torque or Not to Torque?

Fords4ever

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992/1999
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/Dodg
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thought that might get some of you to cast a look on this question I am sure others have pondered.

My little 92 2whl dr. 5sp. Ranger w/ 2.3L needs something done to help with the torque.

So far, I have done the following:
a. Removed CAT
b. Changed all sending units ie...Map/O2/Temp/EGR/coils
c. tires (215 70 R15
d. 3.73 rear end.
e. Removed restrictor in Intake to allow more air

My mileage is 20city/27hwy

I need to know what to do. I have a 1800lb. boat & trailer that I use. I can pull it fine other than when I have to get it or the trailer out of the water, especially on a ramp. It seems that I have to ride the clutch to build up enough rpm to get the boat and trailer out.
I really like this little truck and was wondering what I could do to increase the torque or am I wasteing my time/money?

I have thought about:
a. Porting & Polishing Head
b. Installation of Esslinger Carb Spacer
c. Going to 4.08 gears and sacraficeing my mpg/top end
e. Going to different cam/if so what would you suggest?
f. I do not have the money or inclination to get the motor turbo'd (unless you believe this to be the only way to go)

Should I quit wasteing my time and money and get another truck, which I can not afford to do right now but I am not using my boat now and could afford some changes.

What would be your thoughts on this.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I have thought about:
a. Porting & Polishing Head
b. Installation of Esslinger Carb Spacer
c. Going to 4.08 gears and sacraficeing my mpg/top end
e. Going to different cam/if so what would you suggest?
f. I do not have the money or inclination to get the motor turbo'd (unless you believe this to be the only way to go)

What would be your thoughts on this.
A. This will hurt low end torque and help high end power.
B. Good luck putting a carb spacer on an EFI engine....
C. 4.10s would help, but not as much as you might think....
E. The stock cam is the best there is for low end torque....
F. A turbo does nothing for sub 2000 RPM performance.

What happened to D? :icon_confused:

What you need to do is convert it to 4x4 (or at least put a transfercase in it) so you get the 2.x:1 (I forget the ratio exactly, but it's about like installing 8.5:1 gears in the rear end) low range reduction gear that will make pulling a boat up a ramp a breeze. I would do the full 4x4 conversion because you'll also have extra traction to pull up the slippery ramp. With manual lock-out hubs and the same size tires, you'll hardly notice a difference in gas mileage.

Fords4ever

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992/1999
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/Dodg
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
A. This will hurt low end torque and help high end power.
B. Good luck putting a carb spacer on an EFI engine....
C. 4.10s would help, but not as much as you might think....
E. The stock cam is the best there is for low end torque....
F. A turbo does nothing for sub 2000 RPM performance.

What happened to D? :icon_confused:

What you need to do is convert it to 4x4 (or at least put a transfercase in it) so you get the 2.x:1 (I forget the ratio exactly, but it's about like installing 8.5:1 gears in the rear end) low range reduction gear that will make pulling a boat up a ramp a breeze. I would do the full 4x4 conversion because you'll also have extra traction to pull up the slippery ramp. With manual lock-out hubs and the same size tires, you'll hardly notice a difference in gas mileage.
What 4x4 cross over would you suggest? How difficult woud it be to do? Would everything bolt up or ???

Thanks for the quick response. Any idea on the costs? Is this something I could accomplish in my garage?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A full 4x4 conversion is not a simple undertaking, and it is tough to just stick a t-case and a shorter driveshaft in it for a creeper range to yank your boat out of the water... gonna need a tranny too.

I hate to say it but you might be better off to get a 4x4 truck.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Basically you'll need a 4x4 transmission with a 2.3 bellhousing (the only different from yours is the tailhousing to bolt a tcase to it), a manual or electric shift 1350 tcase (Most 4x4 rangers made in the last 25 years have the same case) the shorter 4x4 rear driveshaft, and if you want the 4 wheel drive, a front axle with the same 3.73 gears your rear axle has.

parts from a junkyard to do this could probably be had for $200-$500 at a pull-it-yourself place. The install can be done in a garage with a couple good hydraulic jacks, jackstands and a couple strong friends. But you will be removing the transmission from the vehicle, so it's quite a bit of work.

85_Ranger4x4 is right, it'd be a whole heck of a lot easier to just buy a 4x4 ranger. The 2.3 4x4s do exist, but they can be tricky to find when you're actually looking for one (I see them all the time when I'm not looking).

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The front crossmember (the big one that holds both the engine and front axle) are different and will need replaced, do a search on it as this has been covered many times. If it is possible to modify the 2wd one to work, I wouldn't recomend it to someone who seems to have little experience in extensive fab work (no offence Fords4ever)

Fords4ever

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992/1999
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/Dodg
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
If it is possible to modify the 2wd one to work, I wouldn't recomend it to someone who seems to have little experience in extensive fab work (no offence Fords4ever)
None Taken. I will be the first to admit Iam a little envious of those I have read on this forum who can spew off this information as if it was 2nd nature to them. I have pulled the transmission on this one and replaced the slave cylinder/clutch.
If there was a way of making it work, I would be all over it, but keeping in mind your expertise, vs mine, I am inclined to trust your opinion over my own.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its a hell of an under taking to swap 4wd into a 2wd truck. go buy a 4wd truck you can get them with the 4cyl so you wont loss all your gas mileage

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals