• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 or 4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
well the title says some of what i wanna kno lol should i find a 2.8 and rebuild it and drop it in with some add on parts like the dura spark and a few other things? if any ideas on add on parts post em up. or should i find a 4.0 and swap it. btw this is my DD but i dont need it to get to work so time isnt really an issue but what would be the best for a good relieable truck also im gonna wanna put a 5 speed in just for the extra gear and do the 4.0 clutch swap if i do a 2.8 any suggestions on doing any of this. :icon_thumby:

BeaterMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 4.6, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
the 2.8 isnt a bad engine but it just doesn't make alot of power. the 4.0 would be a real nice swap but there is alot of wiring changes that need to take place. You could build up a 2.8 for a lil more ponies but that would cost alot more. I'm kinda toying with the same idea you are having and am leaning towards a 3.8L v6 and using a throttle body injection wiring harness that "pretty much" just plugs into the old 2.8 harness.

91explorermatt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't think the 2.9 efi is much different from your 2.8, but when i went to a 4.0 i noticed a huge difference, but what i didn't like is the notorious m5od.

if time and money is no object, you'll like the 4.0 more, its not a bad cruising motor and seems to drink less than the 2.9..but that could be because I don't have to floor it up hills :D

4.0 is also a good towing motor...I haven't found out yet because of the m5od

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
When doing to 4.0 swap I'm also told that you have to put the 4.0 dash board in your truck to make it easier to wire up.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
might be better if you can find an older, carbed 289/302 for your swap. more power, no fi add-on's to do (gas tank, fuel pump, etc.), no dash swapping, etc. and, iirc, there are tranny adapters for the swap. just a thought.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you put a 289/302 in front of a ranger tranny, you can estimate the life of the tranny in minutes (I'll give 10 min. at most).

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
haha so 289 is a bad idea unless u swap a tranny also i kinda dont wanna have to swap a dash. is that 3.8 from a mustang v6 i think those r in the ford vans too what ever there called lol. Dangerranger what did u do too ur 2.8 i kno u have done alot ive seen ur thread too. what r the chances of finding a 2.8 and how much would i be spending to do a full rebuild

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
the 2.8 isnt bad with a few modifications. Mine has been turning35's and 40's for the last 4yrs.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
well thats good to hear ive never had a problem with it starting ever just once but i think it had a vapor lock it was hottt that day if i could find a 2.8 to rebuild i would work on doin that while driving what i have then swap em out but i think its a better idea to take my time on something like this. from what ive seen in the 2.8 forum thread this is a good motor i think ill go with the 2.8 rather then the 4.0 i dont need more power haha. anyone kno anyone else selling one ha

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you put a 289/302 in front of a ranger tranny, you can estimate the life of the tranny in minutes (I'll give 10 min. at most).
haha so 289 is a bad idea unless u swap a tranny also i kinda dont wanna have to swap a dash. is that 3.8 from a mustang v6 i think those r in the ford vans too what ever there called lol. Dangerranger what did u do too ur 2.8 i kno u have done alot ive seen ur thread too. what r the chances of finding a 2.8 and how much would i be spending to do a full rebuild
Actually a common transmission for a V-8 swap is found in the 83-84 RBV's... the C-5 which is pretty much the same thing as the common as dirt behind a V-8 C-4. I have a C-5 stashed away with a V-8 bellhousing off of a C-4 for my pending 302 swap.

I looked at rebuilding a 2.8... it doesn't cost much more to rebuild a V-8 (or I suppose a 4.0 if you prefer) Wiring will be a challenge with anything fuel injected but the sensors for the dash (oil pressure, temp and amps) will still be the same.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All my engine has done to it is a high volume oil pump, new gaskets, and a TBI system off a 3.8 liter engine, just needs a fuel regulator but runs and drives but is getting to much fuel, go figure though and has 180,XXX miles on it, came out of my dads truck. I will say its better then the 2.3 liter I had in it.

To keep it simple, rebuild a 2.8.

The tranny mine has is the Toyo Koygo 4 speed, orginaly had a 4 banger in front of it, my truck was made the first year it produced. I personally have never seen a C4 in a ranger, not saying they werent made with them.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
yea i think i have that same tranny its a 4 speed i have a parts truck with a 2.3 and 4 speed and transfer case idk if im gonna use it tho. ill take a look at the junk yard to see if they got a b2 or ranger with a 2.8 or maybe something else with a 2.8. i might go crazy with this motor and save money and build it as i get more money get some things that i seen in the 2.8 tech section

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The tranny mine has is the Toyo Koygo 4 speed, orginaly had a 4 banger in front of it, my truck was made the first year it produced. I personally have never seen a C4 in a ranger, not saying they werent made with them.
Mine is technically a C-5 out of a '84 Bronco II. Like I said they are very similar to the C-4, there were some differences in the valve body and had a locking torque converter. They didn't put them in very long, and they were before automatics really started catching on in the mid/late 80's.

Last edited:

ranger874wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
c_5

yea i think i have that same tranny its a 4 speed i have a parts truck with a 2.3 and 4 speed and transfer case idk if im gonna use it tho. ill take a look at the junk yard to see if they got a b2 or ranger with a 2.8 or maybe something else with a 2.8. i might go crazy with this motor and save money and build it as i get more money get some things that i seen in the 2.8 tech section
if you dont mind an a/t find a c-5 it will bolt up to every thing up to and including 302

ranger874wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
c-4/ c-5

If I remember right mine is out of a '84 Bronco II. They didn't put them in very long, and they were before automatics really started catching on.
c-5 rebuilt with c-4 guts is the best of the best

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals