• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 B2 2.8/A4LD Dura-spark conversion

cckc135r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liters of German fury
Transmission
Manual
I've been looking at completing a Duraspark conversion here pretty soon but I'm having issues finding a carb. A friend of mine gave me a motorcraft carb that once installed created a bad vacuum leak. It wouldn't seal properly. Mine has a plastic spacer between the carb and EGR plate and the show stopper was the plastic spacer.

With that in mind I'm also considering a Holley 350 but my question is will it mount to the intake or is another intake in order and for that matter which one if it needs to be replaced or is there an adaptor plate that is needed?

None of the salvage yards around here seem to have anything so would a motorcraft from a small V8 in a car or truck work? I have all of the conversion parts but I can't seem to come up with the 64-5242 carb listed on the tech pages (maybe under different PN).

Main reason for the conversion is for the ease of maintenance and hopefully better fuel economy as my B2 currently is getting 9.5 to 10 MPG's on a good day (maybe a choke issue too) when it used to get 15 to 17.

I have already installed a switch on the dash to take care of the TCC function for the transmission and also a huge trans cooler w/ an external filter as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if I have forgotten anything that you need to know let me know and I'll try to answer questions along the way, thanks for any help in advance.

I'm also looking for a fuel level sending unit if anybody can come up with a part number that would be way cool too. I think I've looked pretty much everywhere and can't seem to locate one for my 85 B2 4x4 XLS 2.8 with an A4LD.

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
If Durasparking it doesnt work out you ccan go the TBI/CFI injection system that I have.

cckc135r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would be interested in hearing about your set up and the parts needed to do so. Tell me more.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I got the info. off TRS and here is the link.....

http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8_FuelInjection.html

In there its says that when tuned properly to the truck, you should get around 20mpg or so. There's another guy on here that is going to be doing this same swap in a few months, my dad is going to be doing it too. At the moment my truck isnt driving but it starts right up no matter what. Mine does need a fuel regulator put on it (guy in the write up said he put one on his truck) as the system is made the feed fuel to a 3.8 liter and not a 2.8 but I'm seeing some decent priced fuel regulators on ebay that I am going to get.

If you have anymore questions ask away, I'll help the best I can. You can also check out my build thread to see what it looks like on my truck and a video of my truck running with the TBI system on it, the link is in my signature.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
metering block

do you have the stock carb on it I just made a metering block for mine and made a huge difference in the idle adjustment and power. I have it timed at 10 degrees without vacuum and when i plug it into manifold vac it sits at 20 seems to run just fine still waiting for a carb to port the distributor vacuum and see how that works but drove it a week just with the meter block basically just blocked the small port and have a bolt to adjust the large one. my understand the less air the richer the mix in both the holes there is a thread that shows how to make one I made mine from a fish cutting board

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
carb

All the reading I have done on carbs the motorcraft 2150 1.08 venturi carb works perfect I am going to try and put the jets out of my stock carb in if different or try and get .048 jets for the new one when I rebuild it does the one your friend have 1.08 venturi`s I am sure the vacuum leak can be found if you take your time I am gonna tak mine completely apart you never know what someone else did on a previous rebuild

cckc135r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
kimcrwbr1, I'm not sure on the venturi size however the vacuum leak is because the carb did not fit correctly at the bottom. I did see where it was leaking from and would need to make my own phenolic block spacer. To everyone else thanks for the information, it is greatly apprciated.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
metering block

I made a metering block for the feedback valve on my carb and helped out alot but still gonna put a different carb on as soon as i get it rebuilt. Not sure on the spacer thing guess I will find out when I get it apart:dunno:

cckc135r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
kimcrwbr1, Tell me about the metering block bit you did. At this point I'd like do whatever I can to help it out because it's way down on power and MPG's.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I found on mine to keep the idle port full rich and adjust with needles on the bottom of carb the large one also I have closed all the way so basically the block just caps everything where the solenoid was I guess the screws are there just in case you have issues let me know how it works out you do have the duraspart system in right

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals