PDA

View Full Version : Odometer Worm Gauge

oldjohnny
01-01-2010, 02:22 AM
Does anyone know if I can buy the worm gear on-line? I haven't tried Autozone or O'reilly because I never have luck finding items like these in the stores.
I've tried Junkyards but all of them want to sell me the whole cluster (which in these areas go for 50-80 dollars) Any chance the dealer sells the gear?

ForOffRoadDriving
01-01-2010, 09:47 AM
when you go to the yard dont tell them you need the gear, say your going to pull a couple of door sills and then while youre out there disassemble a cluster and get your parts. the dealer is likely to tell you to F off because your truck is 15 years old and they only like to deal with things that are 5 years and less. the guys at auto zoo and o'really auto parts are going to look at you like a dog does when hes confused, eyes big and head cocked sideways. unless you can find a ford part number for the gear i think the junk yard is the only way to get it, unless someone on here has a spare cluster they dont need (some of the guys doing v8 swaps ditch their cluster and make an aluminum panel to mount their autometer gauges in, so im sure theyre not using their old clusters for anything important and might be happy to help you out)

oldjohnny
01-01-2010, 03:50 PM
when you go to the yard dont tell them you need the gear, say your going to pull a couple of door sills and then while youre out there disassemble a cluster and get your parts. the dealer is likely to tell you to F off because your truck is 15 years old and they only like to deal with things that are 5 years and less. the guys at auto zoo and o'really auto parts are going to look at you like a dog does when hes confused, eyes big and head cocked sideways. unless you can find a ford part number for the gear i think the junk yard is the only way to get it, unless someone on here has a spare cluster they dont need (some of the guys doing v8 swaps ditch their cluster and make an aluminum panel to mount their autometer gauges in, so im sure theyre not using their old clusters for anything important and might be happy to help you out)

Hahaha, you nailed it with the Autozone people.

The thing about the Junkyards here is that it is a big city, so either they send someone with you or they have people walking around checking to see what people are doing. The only way I could take one is if a cluster is broken, but if it is broken and I open it, I run the chances of those damn Mexican Mafia looking dudes telling me that I broke it and I have to pay for it in full.
Well, thanks, I guess I'm going to the WTB section.