• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Up a creek

atticratt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 4.0
Transmission
Manual
need help, 1985 Ranger 4x4 m/t. It's a bear to start when cold, once the thermo opens runs fine for about 30min or so. then she starts to backfire and I dies and stays dead till cold then starts.any ideas

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would start by checking the Ignition system. Seeing how it is hard to start, I would think there is something wrong with spark delivery. If you could get it started and it would idle I would unhook the spout wire and check the timing. Hard starting and back firing sounds timing-ish. I have had my Ranger for 20 years and have never had a single problem with the ignition so I don't have much in the way of experiance to share with you. A bad M.A.P. sensor can make the vehicle do all kinds of strange back fires and a bonking going down the road. Doesn't usually make the starting hard though.

Eric

94twodoor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure if this helps but my Plymouth Breeze would only run cold. It was the Crank shaft and cam shaft sensors. Once they heated up the would make the car shake and shut down. 30 mins later I could run the car again and same thing, they heated up, car shut down.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
need help, 1985 Ranger 4x4 m/t. It's a bear to start when cold, once the thermo opens runs fine for about 30min or so. then she starts to backfire and I dies and stays dead till cold then starts.any ideas
The one thing you forgot to mention.....is it the truck in your info to the left or a different one? Is it a carb or fuel injection? If it is a carb it sounds like it is a lean condition?

atticratt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 4.0
Transmission
Manual
up a creek

Sorry guys, What I ment about hard starting was, It will not idle untill the thero opens then it idels pertty well, yes it is a carb and it does seep gas
and I' not sure the vacum lines are run properly, the local rebuild guy will not touch it why? the last carb I rebuilt was on my 70 Cuda and that didn't go
to well. any good ebuilt carbs out there. Thanks in advance and keep Ideas coming

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The carb doesn't sound good, but I would be looking at the ignition and choke first.

If it has factory smog, pull the codes.

atticratt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I've done some checking and the choke looks like it not to good as to the ignintion
where a good place to start. When I bought the truck in Jully I did the whole tune up thing and right now it cold outside(wind chill 13) dist? coil? plugs?

kpbrogdon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
171 (2.8)
Transmission
Automatic
The hard starting while cold sounds like your choke (that and these motors just don't like the cold) but the dying after 30 minutes and then not starting again until it cools down sounds like classic TFI module failure to me.

Alex FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I also think this is possibly a lean condition. When i was doing carb preformance mods to my atv this exact scenario happened.

atticratt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I'll check it out out Is cold outside today (9 brr) let you know what happens

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a TFI thing to me too. My dads truck did the same exact thing when its TFI module was going out.

His also has a manual choke on his and is starts right up in the cold, pumps it twice and starts right up, he doesnt even choke it, he just keeps his foot on the gas to keep it at a higher idle when he first starts it, he doesnt care if the high idle works anymore or not.

atticratt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 4.0
Transmission
Manual
hey guys it above 30 degress and I got out to take the TFI off and in doing so I came across few more small problems stuff that needs taken care of also started a new job(about time I"ve been out for 73 weeks) and I"m just going to take my time and do every right as money alowes. should be up and be bout in the boonies this weekend will let you all know when I done
thanks for the help

83_rangerdave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6 Soon too be 72 vette 350
Transmission
Automatic
hey does those have pickup sensors

hall effect or pickup sensor bad so that means the module bad perhaps cause it lose the magentic field when it reaches operating temp and then when its cold runs solid untill hot?

atticratt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 4.0
Transmission
Manual
been off line just to let ya all know the old dog is and has been back on the road

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
What was the problem?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals