• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need advice with bad rear 85 F250

valsound

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This summer I bought an 85 F250 with a snow plow rig to keep my farm lane open.
It has more than a few issues, but most of them I can live with. (has a great running 302 that was swapped in by previous owner)
However.
I noticed a chirping coming from the rear & at first thought maybe an axle bearing or u-joint.
I crawed underneath & found a lot of slop at the part that attaches to the rear u-joint. Not the u-joint, but the part that attaches to it.
(sorry i don't know all the names here)

If you unbolt the drive shaft, you are left with a fitting that is held onto the pinion gear (that I know is inside) by a large nut.
Lots of fluid leak here & lots of slop.
With my limited shade tree skills, I assume the best course of action is to try to find a junkyard hub to hub rear.
What I don't know is how to identify the correct one.

1985 F250 4x4 with granny gear.
Rear has bolt on cover.
Does the rear have to be off of a 250, or could could a 150 donate?
Does the granny gearing come out of the transfer case, or is the rear involved as well?
thanks for any input.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals